U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should COLO pursue the 2022 Winter Olympics?
Yes. 21 63.64%
No. 10 30.30%
No opinion or no interest. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM

486 posts, read 1,236,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If indeed we secure the event what do you think the financial outcome would be?
Back in Calgary 1988 we hosted the event and actually made money.
The housing was on prime land overlooking the city and the condos were sold for a profit.
Your thoughts?
RP
Are you from canada Proveick? I didn't make it to Calgary in '88 (living in Ontario at the time) but it was a great thing for Canada!

Because of that experience, I strongly support a winter Olympics in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,930 times
Indeed, from Alberta. In 1988 saw a ton of hockey, luge and ski jumping.
It was pretty handy to be parked in the McDonalds parking lot with a spotting scope watching the events.
(I believe one day a German tourist skied into a grooming machine and died. Not pretty.)
Anywho, Calgary did very well hosting the event. Teams from all over the world still train in Calgary.
Cheers,
RP

Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I strongly support a winter Olympics in Colorado.
Foolish kid. Don't you know true Colorado westerners are cynical, miserly, and disgruntled? We give no quarter and ask none. You cannot pull Olympic wool over our eyes and we will proudly remind you of this, as often as is necessary, though we are of few words. We, who roll our eyes in disdain when a John Denver song is heard, will not be bamboozled by your so-called Olympics, unless an opportunity prevents itself to be the first city to reject an Olympic bid not once but twice. Because sometimes "no" just ain't enough.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 PM

486 posts, read 1,236,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Foolish kid. Don't you know true Colorado westerners are cynical, miserly, and disgruntled? We give no quarter and ask none. You cannot pull Olympic wool over our eyes and we will proudly remind you of this, as often as is necessary, though we are of few words. We, who roll our eyes in disdain when a John Denver song is heard, will not be bamboozled by your so-called Olympics, unless an opportunity prevents itself to be the first city to reject an Olympic bid not once but twice. Because sometimes "no" just ain't enough.
Ya just had to bring John Denver into this!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM

10,564 posts, read 11,661,819 times
I've only lived here for two years, but have already noticed how wasteful and amazingly inept state government is. If absolutely no tax dollars were spent, and taxes were not increased to pay for this boondoggle I would vote yes. But Denver being Denver, we all know what a mess this will turn out to be.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 PM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Who's this "we" kemosabe? We went to the SLC Olympics and it was a lot of fun. I'd support the Olympics, if it was financially feasible, e.g. at least a break even. It's good to see other sports being represented, e.g. skiing, figure skating, etc

Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM

4,963 posts, read 8,693,302 times
Three things are guaranteed here:

1. Taxpayers will in some way have to pay something into this. Whether through extensive hours of protection units, upgrades of infrastructure or building facilities to host athletes there will be some expenditure. Facilities too will be needed. Money will be spent.
2. Revenues to offset much of the expense will be plentiful. Taxes and economic benefit are certain, if its enough to break even is unknown.
3. Studies will be done to prove or disprove the benefit. There is something for everyone, the answer really depens on what result you want to see. If someone visits Colorado from another country is it because the Olympics came or because Colorado is a great place to visit? Who knows, but you could argue either way depending on what you want the answer to be.

The Olympics are an investment. People (voters) must understand this and then decide. Money must be spent and risk must be taken. My two cents is Denver is a high probability of success compared to most sites. A big city with most of the infrastructure already built plus lots of ways to benefit from the publicity is what does best. These small resort areas which have the next two winter games are significantly risky. Plus lets not forget the biggest money comes from US television rights so a domestic games is a no brainer on that side. But there will be money and will be some small risk so the part of the electorate who hates this will certainly oppose it.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM

18,996 posts, read 8,914,315 times
I have mixed feelings about the Olympics coming here. Taxpayer money for it should be kept to a minimum, and what taxpayer money might need to be invested is just that...an investment...and a more long-term one than most people realize. The prestige of an Olympics lasts for decades...travel up in the Adirondacks, and much of their advertisements for tourism is still based on when the Olympics were at Lake Placid in 1932 and 1980.

But, for those who are so adamantly against it, then I say this...don't you once turn on your television and watch the Olympics.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,180,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have mixed feelings about the Olympics coming here. Taxpayer money for it should be kept to a minimum, and what taxpayer money might need to be invested is just that...an investment...and a more long-term one than most people realize. The prestige of an Olympics lasts for decades...travel up in the Adirondacks, and much of their advertisements for tourism is still based on when the Olympics were at Lake Placid in 1932 and 1980.

But, for those who are so adamantly against it, then I say this...don't you once turn on your television and watch the Olympics.
Good point! The media fat cats make big profits on these games--so it is good idea to let them pay more for it. They can charge more for those commercials of beer and razor blades--the needed necessities of the modern man. Yea, let them also pay Colorado, just for the opportunity to Broadcast from our State; we can sell them a license--to the highest bidder.

There is much we can do. A tool barrier on the highway for the viewers. A larger tax on the tickets. More food and beverage tax. Tax on the ahhh, pleasure giving women and men, but only from our approved stables. Of course, extra event room taxes. We can implement an Olympic specific alcohol tax. Special taxes on Olympic merchandise. Environmental Parking taxes.

Colorado just has to know how to seek more funds for this worthy endeavor. We Coloradans should operate as a business for our family, and get involved, ahh, muscle in on the action. We certainly have to provide security as we have the muscle and the soldiers, and you will have to pay for our protection or hazards do occur to an unprotected business or unlicensed individual.

You want to distribute drugs for the Olympics in our territory, not a problem, as we are good in passing drug allowing legislation--but then you will have to cut us in on the action. Gambling on the games-that is in the bag--just a numbers racket that we can provide as a service to our friends.

We will be good to our friends--and you do want to be our friends. We Coloradans will make you an offer, you cannot refuse. It can be profitable. Yea, perhaps it will work. I like it.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-20-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 PM

35 posts, read 63,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Vehemently against, just as I was back in 1972, when Colorado was bidding for the '76 Olympics. With few exceptions, the Winter Olympics have been a taxpayer money pit wherever they have been hosted. Like usual, a few promoters get the privatized profits and taxpayers get the socialized costs.

Back in 1972, the common belief was that it was the environmentalist community that killed the bid. They were opposed to the Olympics being held in Colorado--for sound reasons, as Colorado's subsequent land development patterns have shown--but it actually were the fiscal conservatives, who recognized the Olympics for the taxpayer-funded pork barrel that they would have been, that tipped the scales to defeat the Olympic bid. Colorado is in even more dire fiscal straits than anyone could have dreamed of back in 1972, so the idea that Colorado could afford to fund the Olympics in 2022 is not just questionable, it's outright preposterous. The state should quit even wasting one dime to pursue it and tell the IOC to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.
Do you have a time machine which could transport you back to where thinking likes yours belongs -- the 1800's. We are heading to the future, not the past. I hope we get the Olympics. All the little natives voted no for the '76 Olympics. Well, we "outsiders" now outnumber you, and I hope they stand up for moving forward this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado