U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM

16,166 posts, read 20,176,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've found the Texans IN Texas, especially the rural areas, to be really nice folks most of the time.
Agreed. Generally whenever a topic like this comes up I've basically said that there are two types of people in this world-good and bad.

I was in power plant and pipeline construction for three decades. Surprisingly, I always found the guys from West Texas to be the most personable and honest. I never could figure out when I would talk to an individual, be it from Dallas, Houston, etc., and the subject would touch on the west side of the state, those people would chuckle and say, "Well that ain't Texas."

Really? Last I checked Odessa, Dalhart, El Paso, Amarillo, etc., were on the Texas road map. I have construction friends who live in Hereford, Midland, and Andrews who get defensive in a hurry when they hear this "that ain't Texas" schtick. They're proud of who they are, and they're proud of their town.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2011 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
I've been living in CO for about 5 and a half years. Although I did not come here from the South, I did come from Virgnia Beach where the climate is extremely humid. I haven't missed the humidity one bit, though the winters were more pleasant in Virginia than they have been thus far in Western Colorado. The first two Colorado winters were very sunny, so the cold didn't bother me. However, the past several winters have been rather gray, reminisent of an eastern US winter in that regard, BUT ... much colder than winter in Virginia Beach.

Cost of living overall is about the same, though real estate is less costly in western Colorado. And the traffic in the small city of Grand Junction is MUCH lighter than traffic in the metro area of Hampton Roads-VA with a population of 1.7 million crazy drivers.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM

833 posts, read 1,381,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Great post. Very informative. Well done.

In answer to your above question, the green chile is far more popular in the Southwest US than it ever was in Mexico. Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona seem to think it somehow IS Mexican food. Mexican food here is either TexMex (overdone with the chili powder and greasy) or Interior Mexican (mild and flavorful). The Mexican food cooked in the traditions of actual interior Mexico is quite good.

Most Americans have never had anything but SW US Mexican or TexMex.
Perhaps not the most important point to take issue with, but I assure you, Arizona has NO idea what green chile is!

The Mexican food here is predominantly Sonoran, which has its points, but green chile is not one of them. Down here what they call green chile is typically beef cooked with a few green chiles; it is really more of a pot roast type of dish.

Fortunately, we have a New Mexican restaurant in Tucson (the only one within 100 miles that I am aware of) with an above average green chile so I am able to get my fix without having to make a batch at home.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM

31 posts, read 54,060 times
"That's because green chile is a NEW Mexican delight that most Texans have never even heard of."

Not always true. One of the few things I'll miss about Dallas is the Hatch Chile Festival at Central Market.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:35 PM

25 posts, read 69,034 times
I've only lived here 3.5 years this stint, but have lived here 3 times now for a total of 8 years so i guess i qualify. I'm glad to have left behind the heat and bugs of TX, but i do miss family and a few restaurants. But i get to go back on biz several times a year so can hit Whataburger and my fave mexican places and fish places while there. I always come back 5 pounds heavier. But then i can come back and do real mountain biking and drop the 5...there is no mountain biking in Houston at elevation 50.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 11,551 times
Greenscout your my hero! I am from pueblo and for the last two years have been stuck in sugarland.not anymore,me and the wife are coming back home in a week.close on our home in pueblo westHouston is in the top ten for most exspensive cities to live.yes,home prices are cheap,but they dont favtor in the ridiculous energy bills year sround and hugh rents etc.Oh Pueblo where art thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado