U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM

33 posts, read 44,513 times

Advertisements

Who have been in Colorado for at least 5 years and who moved to escape the oppressive summers...

Are you glad you did?

What do you miss the most about where you left?

What most frustrates you about Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,840,209 times
Wink Colorado in perspective

I'm not sure if it counts, but I have lived in New Mexico. And it does border Texas.

One can find a fair number of Texans in Colorado, particularly in the southern extremity of the state. Most of them, however, seem content to enjoy the refreshing summers and then head somewhere warmer come autumn. If guessing, then the supposition that might be commented on by those having made a permanent move: that they've only switched a pleasant summer (somewhat hot if not in mountains) for a hot and humid one, but now not entirely thrilled with snow for the rest of the winter after a postcard Christmas. Also, in degree, more winter cold than accustomed to. Although in balance many more or less prefer the dry climate with lots of sun, and not usually exactly arctic cold.

For myself, I miss the architecture, cuisine, and culture of New Mexico. Fortunately there is no lack of Mexican restaurants in Colorado, although aficionados from elsewhere might question that on offer. If so, there is less availability and emphasis than in New Mexico on the staple of that place: the green chile. In the way of culture, Colorado is just different, and in the end a matter of personal taste. Fairly laid back, depending on venue both liberal and conservative, although in general possibly tending to skew a bit more towards the later. But, although a stronger Hispanic influence near the southern border, without the strong interplay of that culture, mixed with anglo, and all the Native American, influences that New Mexico has. Texas, or anywhere else, will likely have some regional traits not commonly discovered here.

As often spoken of, in whole not a bad place to live, and surely scenic enough in many places, only less enjoyable if without a secure income. That can be the 64 dollar question.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,646,107 times
Darn it, I have to wait 3 more years to answer this question.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM

344 posts, read 314,393 times
I left Houston five years ago. I miss Texas and intend to move back in 2012....probably not to the coast but the center part of the great state. People in the northern part of Colorado are very reserved. My neighbors are nice but stay indoors and just are not friendly during the winter. On any given day in Texas, you could walk and talk. Texas is hot but I usually walked in the late afternoon. Boy, do I miss good Tex Mex and good oriental food. I also miss wildlife viewing year round. From the Davis Mountains to the Beaumont area, I always found wildlife to view. Good here 6 months out of the year but rather sparse during the winter. All said, I belong back south.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Darn it, I have to wait 3 more years to answer this question.
That's okay, I would still like to hear your feedback.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I left Houston five years ago. I miss Texas and intend to move back in 2012....probably not to the coast but the center part of the great state. People in the northern part of Colorado are very reserved.
My neighbors are nice but stay indoors and just are not friendly during the winter. On any given day in Texas, you could walk and talk.
I wonder why people from northern Colorado would be so reserved? Is this mostly just a winter time thing or all the time?

Texas certainly does have a reputation for being friendly. Now just how true that is might be a little more debatable. I am probably less friendly than I should be.

However, as I give that point some consideration, I realize that a lot of the Texans I know really are pretty friendly and welcoming folks. And I will say, you just don't see that in a lot of places.

Quote:
Texas is hot but I usually walked in the late afternoon. Boy, do I miss good Tex Mex and good oriental food.
It's funny, I am originally from New Mexico, and miss the more authentic Mexican food. Lot's of Tex Mex here, and it's okay, just not something I get too excited about. I probably eat out too much anyway. @IDUNN, they don't even know what green chile is around here, and that's a shame.

Quote:
I also miss wildlife viewing year round. From the Davis Mountains to the Beaumont area, I always found wildlife to view. Good here 6 months out of the year but rather sparse during the winter.
I always figured there are probably more varieties of wildlife further west, but probably lower populations. I wonder where they go during the winter...?

Quote:
All said, I belong back south.
I am sorry that Colorado hasn't fit you that well. Is that driven mostly by climate, politics, culture, or something else?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
As often spoken of, in whole not a bad place to live, and surely scenic enough in many places, only less enjoyable if without a secure income. That can be the 64 dollar question.
Or to perhaps put it another way, is it better to have a good job somewhere else, and just come and visit OR is it better to take a lesser job there and be there all the time?

A couple weeks of vacation just doesn't go very far in getting you away from the ~130 days of heat and misery that Texas suffers though... You basically have to leave to get away from it.

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 PM

884 posts, read 1,464,772 times
I came here from Sucklahoma as a teenager...

I don't miss anything about that region in general.

Okay, maybe taking the jet skis out on the lakes in summer. But that's the only thing.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:22 AM

4,332 posts, read 4,361,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflowboundary View Post
Who have been in Colorado for at least 5 years and who moved to escape the oppressive summers...

Are you glad you did?

I moved to Colorado from Phoenix in 1977 and I'd never go back there full time. I hate hot. I hate their disgusting tap water and their foul winter air.

Miss? Well in January, if there is not an inversion, the warm weather is nice.

Frustrating about Colorado? No complaints. I love it here.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

840 posts, read 2,034,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflowboundary View Post

Are you glad you did?

I can give you the opposite perspective if you'd like......

When we first moved here to Houston, everyone warned us about the oppressive heat and humidity. In truth, these were not nearly as difficult to acclimate to as I expected. I think the mistake most folks make is spending too much time in air conditioned environments. If one spends all day in the AC and then goes outside for a walk, of course the weather will seem oppressive.....

In truth, southern Colorado gets hotter than Houston in the summer. The difference is, because of the dry air, Colorado cools off as soon as the sun goes down. Houston gets hot and stays hot. A Texan isn't really escaping the heat by moving to Colorado, but he is definitely getting a shorter hot season.

For me personally, I much prefer the heat and humidity to the cold and snow. Hands down, no contest....

As far as Texans being friendly, yes, they are. As a culture, I have never encountered a more polite and friendly group of people. They call each other ma'am and sir as a matter of tradition and respect, they smile and wave, they will frequently invite you to "hang out" with them, and generally get along very well with everyone. I haven't witnessed the horn blowing and one finger saluting in traffic which seems ubiquitous elsewhere while stuck in traffic. In short, Texans are OK by me......

While I find the people and the climate here more agreeable than Colorado, I can't wait to get back home.....

Here's why:

Size and scale. Houston is HUGE. There simply isn't any other way to put it. It is so large, a person really can't escape from it. While traffic does flow comparatively smoothly on the well designed highway system, traffic on surface streets is an endless grind of brake lights. I can't take anymore of the 30-40 minutes it can take to drive 5-8 miles here.

Economy and cost of living. Now, I know the howling will start shortly considering every published report or statistic indicates the economy here is better than most places and the cost of living is low, but let me tell you, it ain't necessarily so......

True, the cost to purchase a house is lower. BUT, if one is in a position of wanting to rent a house, the rent is MUCH, MUCH higher than it would be in southern Colorado. Denver might be comparable, but I don't know for sure since it's been a decade since I lived in the mile high city.....

While we're on the subject of jobs, the wage scale here is low. Most of the jobs that gov Perry brags so much about are in the $10 dollar per hour category. We came down here specifically for my wife's job, so we had her income lined up for sure before we came, but I would have never dreamed it would be so difficult to find something even half way decent for myself. This really burns me on a personal level, so in the spirit of being somewhat objective, I'm not going to rant about that any more....

I suppose I could continue to list observations I have made about my experience here, but I think its better if I just give all of you the following analogy instead.....

My experience here in Houston is much like that of a man who left his wife of many years for a new woman.

In the beginning, the temptation was so strong. The potential for new experiences, a different and more exciting life, so many things would be "better"....

The wife, (Colorado), had seemingly grown cold and disinterested, perhaps the relationship had just run it's course. She had nothing left to offer me, or, at least, that's how I justified it.....

So, I split. For a time, all seemed good. But it wasn't long before the new woman (Houston) began to reveal her true nature. I began to appreciate more and more the deep bond I had with the old. It occurred to me Houston is a succubus. A demon which presents it's self as a beautiful woman in order to seduce a man. Once her true form is revealed, she has stolen the very essence of his soul....

Fortunately, I grew wise before her claws sunk too deeply into me. I begged on bended knee to be taken back, to just go home. Home, what a beautiful word... I hope I'm not too far gone...

Like a married couple who attempts to reconcile after a thing like this, it will probably take years to rebuild what I so carelessly tossed aside. Turns out, this was the most valuable thing I ever had. Home.......

How's that?

Oh, one final thought... No, there is no such thing as good Mexican food here in Houston. Go figure.... In an area with such a strong Hispanic presence and such a sizable number of Mexican immigrants, how is it that green chile is seemingly unknown to this town?......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado