Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 20,180 times

Advertisements

We are investigating retiring in Grand Junction. Any pros or cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM

106 posts, read 583,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsplace
You mean Grand Junkyard? Just joking. But it is known by this with the locals. It's called that because it's not a very attractive town and there's really not much to look at on the horizon.

I lived in Montrose and Ridgway for a year. Grand Junction is very blue collar and is in the middle of a desert. The climate is great but it's extremely dry.

The only drawback is the availability of services. Where do you go if you need specialized medicine? Denver or Salt Lake City. Guess how far away these cities are? Denver is about 4.5 hours away but it's over several mountain passes. Very difficult in winter despite the interstate. Salt Lake is 5.5 hours.

If you are into the outdoors then it is clearly the place for you. It's very close to the mountains and of course the SW deserts. Easy access to the national parks in Utah. I think a lot of people retire in Grand Junction although by far the biggest retirement community I can think of in the four corner states is St. George. Might be a better place if you have concerns about healthcare since it's not far from Las Vegas.

Do you have any skin conditions? I don't know where you are from but you might want to vacation there for a couple of months to see if you like it. If you are from the east you'll shrivel up like a raisin. The air is so dry your hair will break off, your nails will crack, and you'll have to use Vaseline to keep up with the dry skin. I had a terrible time. Every time I went out the garage I lost my nails. It may not be a big deal to you but when it splits vertically into your nail bed, it's not funny.

We lived at 8,000 feet in Ridgway. Log Hill has to be one of the top 10 places in the world to live for scenery. Absolutely awesome. You practically have 14,000 ft. Mt. Sneffels in your back yard since there is a big valley between you and the mountain so it appears that it's at "eye level." So if you have money, like to live in an isolated place in the mountains with other "successful" people, it's a wonderful place to live. Well, if you don't mind dust and a muddy road in winter, and being incredibly isolated--worse than Grand Junction. Oh well. Just stock up.

Dennis Weaver used to be my neighbor, before he died of course. Beyond him is Ralph Lauren's ranch. Never saw him but my employee's husband worked for him and spent time at some of his get togethers. When he would fly in (literally), he and his son would buy the clothes off the ranch hands so they could look authentic.

Oh, and if you live there, you will have access to Ouray city pool. $90 gets you a family year round pass to the hot springs pool. It's about 4 olympic size pools put together. Awesome in winter when it's snowing. But then you'll have access to Steamboat and Glenwood Springs if you live in Grand Junction. Lots of nice restaurants in Ouray since it's a big tourist area.

Both areas are not far from Telluride which is a big ski resort and celeb area (Tom Cruise, Opray Winfrey, Darryl Hannah--who I saw at Wal-mart by the way and sheesh, she needs make up).

Here's some info on the area I'm talking about...

http://www.loghill.com/
http://www.ridgwaycolorado.com/Splash.asp (broken link)

Again, my suggestion: Live there for awhile and drive around. Then you'll know first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsplace
If you're not from Colorado, also understand that Coloradans tend to be rather standoffish--especially in smaller towns and rural areas. I think this is because the original people who settled the state were independent people who wanted to get away from others. I think the nicest people in the U.S. come from Texas, then the west coast, then the midwest.

Last edited by Marka; 07-22-2006 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-22-2006, 03:48 AM

17 posts, read 29,622 times
"rather standoffish"? LOL! Try "VERY"! I was born in Mesa county and lived there for 20+ years. I got tired of it fairly quick. All the liars and crooks I grew up with, they didn't change, they just got older and got into office.

Real estate is 3-4 times more than it should be. The climate there is great, and it's really not as arid as some think. Fuel prices out outragious. I now live in a small town high int he rockies and it's harder to get fuel here than it is in GJ. But they have a monopoly on it, so fuel is more there than it is here. Last I heard it was betweem $3.079 and $3.129 per gallon for regular unleaded. Here in Buena Vista it's $3.059.

It has a lot of convieniances though. St.Mary's is one of the best equipped hospitals in Colorado AND Utah. It's comparible to what they have in Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Albuqurque, and Cheyenne.

rentals out to much, AFAIC. Of course I grew up there, I knew a lot of those places before they builts homes on them, and 90% of the new stuff I wouldn't waste my time or money on. I could handle putting a $20,000 mobile home on some of the land, but not a $120,000 house. There is a lot of groundwater, and a good number of the newer homes have been built on old ranchland. A lot I used to work in when I was a kid. They didn't irrigate a lot of those fields for a reason- the water table was less than 12" deep in many areas. One area in particular that is now homes running in the $350,000 area, there the water table was 6-8". And now they have three story homes built there? LOL! Not for long!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,895 times
I lived in Grand Junction for 5 years. It was in a great location for hiking and camping and other outdoor activities. Summers were always very hot and dry. The city is small and sorta of redkneck. But you can find most of the things there as you can find in bigger cities. Would I move back? Maybe, but being a Michigan native, I would miss the thick woods, the great lakes and the green. Who knows...

Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
edsplace wrote:
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado