U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times

Advertisements

jazzlover wrote:
Unless you have outstanding credentials or experience, or are willing to work for a subsistence wage, you are not going to compete well with the many, many long-time Colorado residents currently looking for jobs in this foul economy. Simply put, Coloradans already here have better contacts, local employment records, established residency, more local ties and roots--all of that makes them more attractive, other factors being equal, than hiring someone that lacks those local connections.
While this statement rings true for the most part, it ignores the fact that a qualified candidate from ANYWHERE who is in the right place at the right time with the right attitude will catapault to the top of the list and get hired anyway....with OR without local connections! Intelligent employers will just about always hire the best candidate wherever the f**k they come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
Unless you have outstanding credentials or experience, or are willing to work for a subsistence wage, you are not going to compete well with the many, many long-time Colorado residents currently looking for jobs in this foul economy. Simply put, Coloradans already here have better contacts, local employment records, established residency, more local ties and roots--all of that makes them more attractive, other factors being equal, than hiring someone that lacks those local connections.
While this statement rings true for the most part, it ignores the fact that a qualified candidate from ANYWHERE who is in the right place at the right time with the right attitude will catapault to the top of the list and get hired anyway....with OR without local connections! Intelligent employers will just about always hire the best candidate wherever the f**k they come from.
Note that I said "all factors being equal" in my statement. A candidate for a job with outstanding qualifications, experience, etc. will definitely have an upper hand in getting a job, from wherever they hail. Been there, done that. The issue in today's Colorado, though, is that there are not enough jobs to go around--and probably won't be for the foreseeable future--so people will have to savagely compete for the few jobs that are available. In that environment, someone trying to "break in" to the Colorado job market had better have outstanding qualifications, work history, etc. to be able to get a job here. If they don't, there are already plenty of people living here with those qualifications and local connections to snap up most any available job. That is particularly true in the entry-level job market. Colorado continues to disgorge hordes of young people every year that want to stay in Colorado and are desperate for employment. More and more of them are having to go out-of-state to find opportunities. Several of my friends have kids who have just graduated from college in the last year or so--most with good degrees, good grades, and marketable skills. Most of them have had to leave Colorado to find jobs. That should tell people something about the economy here.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM

85,090 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Note that I said "all factors being equal" in my statement. A candidate for a job with outstanding qualifications, experience, etc. will definitely have an upper hand in getting a job, from wherever they hail. Been there, done that. The issue in today's Colorado, though, is that there are not enough jobs to go around--and probably won't be for the foreseeable future--so people will have to savagely compete for the few jobs that are available. In that environment, someone trying to "break in" to the Colorado job market had better have outstanding qualifications, work history, etc. to be able to get a job here. If they don't, there are already plenty of people living here with those qualifications and local connections to snap up most any available job. That is particularly true in the entry-level job market. Colorado continues to disgorge hordes of young people every year that want to stay in Colorado and are desperate for employment. More and more of them are having to go out-of-state to find opportunities. Several of my friends have kids who have just graduated from college in the last year or so--most with good degrees, good grades, and marketable skills. Most of them have had to leave Colorado to find jobs. That should tell people something about the economy here.
I don't think you are familiar with how things work in nursing employment.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM

I KNOW that the economy in CO is not that great and it's even worse in Grand Junction. One of my nieces in PA is a nurse who would like to make a move to Colorado. My advice to her is to hang on to her good paying, steady job in PA until the economic sh*tstorm blows over. I also remind her that she could luck out and find a nursing job on her first interview. The tremendous power of being in the right place at the right time overrides all the other stuff. You know as well as I do that luck happens! Relying on Luck is not something I recommend as a lifestyle, but it does have a time and a place. There are times when it is in our best interest to throw caution to the wind and go for it. And each individual is the only persons who know when those times are for each of us.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-19-2011 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 12:08 PM

169 posts, read 319,201 times
I received a call back for an interview in NM right away, and was offered that job after the interview.

Where in NM? As a new grad with her AAS, my wife got on in Farmington with absolutely no problem just four months ago. Granted, it's a long way from Denver, but... Maybe you two work together?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 PM

19,093 posts, read 8,996,404 times
Perhaps Colorado is different than Virginia. Perhaps teaching is different than nursing. But after hiring around 200 teachers and counselors and other school professionals when I was a school administrator, not a single one got a job because of a local connection. The most a local connection ever got was an interview, but once they were in the interview chair that local connection meant nothing to me. It all boiled down to qualifications, valid references, and being the right "match".

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM

169 posts, read 319,201 times

I've heard you referred to as the go-to for nursing questions on this board so I was wondering what you think about my theory as to why CO DOESN'T seem to have a nursing shortage. Could it be that because Colorado is consistently ranked as the healthiest U.S. state that nurses just aren't needed here as much? You know, because Coloradans are just so damned healthy LOL? This question is irrelevant to the original post, I just wanted your thoughts on the matter.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post

I've heard you referred to as the go-to for nursing questions on this board so I was wondering what you think about my theory as to why CO DOESN'T seem to have a nursing shortage. Could it be that because Colorado is consistently ranked as the healthiest U.S. state that nurses just aren't needed here as much? You know, because Coloradans are just so damned healthy LOL? This question is irrelevant to the original post, I just wanted your thoughts on the matter.
LOL, I have a reputation I didn't know about!! Cool!

I have long felt the reason there is little to no nursing shortage in CO is that CO attracts many young people who are looking for jobs, and nurses are constantly moving in to the area. I'm not so sure about the "CO is the healthiest" issue; those lists change all the time. I was just in the hospital for hip surgery, and I had to wait hours for my room; they said they were really full and busy.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Katiana wrote:
I was just in the hospital for hip surgery, and I had to wait hours for my room; they said they were really full and busy.
A bit off topic perhaps, but not totally since you are a Nurse....get well quick my friend!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Katiana wrote:
I was just in the hospital for hip surgery, and I had to wait hours for my room; they said they were really full and busy.
A bit off topic perhaps, but not totally since you are a Nurse....get well quick my friend!
Thanks, pal! I'm doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado