U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the rest of the nation, but nursing positions in California have also dried up. Our daughter became an RN last January and was only one of two ppl in her class that had a nursing position upon graduation.
I do agree with the advice to never give up a decent job unless you absolutely have to, at least until you have another in place.
Katiana> Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Is it true that Dr's and nurses make the worst patients
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 39,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
I received a call back for an interview in NM right away, and was offered that job after the interview.

Where in NM? As a new grad with her AAS, my wife got on in Farmington with absolutely no problem just four months ago. Granted, it's a long way from Denver, but... Maybe you two work together?
I would have been hired on at UNM hospitals in ABQ, however I opted to work for IHS in Shiprock, NM so some of my student loans would be paid off.

Also, I have my BSN don't know if that mattered? Finding nursing jobs in CO as a new grad is very difficult b/c as someone already stated, there is no nursing shortage in CO! And connections DO matter a great deal in nursing

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I don't know about the rest of the nation, but nursing positions in California have also dried up. Our daughter became an RN last January and was only one of two ppl in her class that had a nursing position upon graduation.
I do agree with the advice to never give up a decent job unless you absolutely have to, at least until you have another in place.
Katiana> Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Is it true that Dr's and nurses make the worst patients
First: Thank you!

My daughter graduated from physical therapy school at CU in 2009, was one of a few in her class to get a full time job. Many cobbled together several part time jobs w/o benefits, etc.

Re: the bold-probably, but I decided it was time to just do what they told me to do! I was not very demanding in the hospital, either.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
Those who are able to travel might want to start contacting travel recruiters...they have tons of contacts in hospitals and should know of some facilities that have room for new grads. We just got an e-mail from one who was looking to fill 8 ICU positions for a hospital in Las Vegas. We get many offers like this every week. Sure, hospitals want experienced RN's, why wouldn't they, but they also realize that they must cultivate their next labor pool (the average age of RNs projected to be 44.5 years by 2012), however the ratio of new grads to experienced RN's must be tilted in favor of experience to provide adequate care for patients, yet provide enough balance to allow the experienced to provide
adequate OJT to the new grad. Info on the Nursing Shortage.
info on travel

My hat is off to you...you have chosen a career where you can make a difference in someone's life every day...something not many can say.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Those who are able to travel might want to start contacting travel recruiters...they have tons of contacts in hospitals and should know of some facilities that have room for new grads. We just got an e-mail from one who was looking to fill 8 ICU positions for a hospital in Las Vegas. We get many offers like this every week. Sure, hospitals want experienced RN's, why wouldn't they, but they also realize that they must cultivate their next labor pool (the average age of RNs projected to be 44.5 years by 2012), however the ratio of new grads to experienced RN's must be tilted in favor of experience to provide adequate care for patients, yet provide enough balance to allow the experienced to provide
adequate OJT to the new grad. Info on the Nursing Shortage.
info on travel

My hat is off to you...you have chosen a career where you can make a difference in someone's life every day...something not many can say.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Gemstone, while I agree travel nursing is a great option, I don't know of any companies that will hire new grads. Most want at least a year of experience. My husband gained a year of experience in the ICU and then we took a few travel assignments around the country trying to figure out where we wanted to relocate. It was a great experience, but he had to get his year first before they would hire him.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
From my vantage point outside Boston (I'm an RN) my hospital (psychiatric) is only hiring new grads, because they are cheap. A recent hire is a sharp woman of 30 who just got her BSN and also has a bachelor's and master's in accounting with corporate experience. She told me she applied for 80 jobs (and willing to leave the area) and this was the only offer she got- night shift in psychatric.
If Colorado doesn't have much or any of a shortage, I don't think it's because people are too healthy. As Jazz said, young people flock to Colorado for their dreams, plus, whether nurses are needed or not, reimbursement won't pay for the staffing needs. A lot of places everywhere are very badly staffed in terms of numbers because no one will ante up.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
brightdoglover:
A lot of places everywhere are very badly staffed in terms of numbers because no one will ante up.
Big Pharma has a solution to this problem. No need for nurses and doctors...just pump em full of drugs and everything will be hunky dory!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
"Most want at least a year of experience"...no argument there, but one thing is for sure....without making an effort, you'll never find the the ones who might take on an exceptional new grad. Times are tough all over, in order to stand out, one has to be willing to try unconventional methods.

Good luck to all who are searching for employment in today's environment.

Gemstone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado