Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,666 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move to Colorado in May or so of 2013. Currently we live in Houston, TX and are wanting a change in scenery and frankly just a fresh start. I've been doing a lot of research but as soon as I think I've made my decision on where I want to focus on I read about another place and change my mind.
My husband has a bachelors degree in IT and I'm pursuing my bachelors in Accounting so hopefully that will make it easier for us to find good jobs somewhere. The only concern my husband is having right now is the winters. He thinks it's like Antartica and being a little over dramatic. I know it gets cold and I know it's not like Texas but is it unbearable? I've told him that the cold here is almost just as bad because of the humidity, it's like on you. But there it's dry and not so harsh. Am I wrong? Also in your opinion, where in Colorado are there nice views, good jobs and good schools? We are willing to have to drive 25-30 miles to work because living in a busy city environment is not an option. Your input is very much appreciated.

Last edited by hr1621; 11-01-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Where most of the jobs are located is in the Front Range metropolitan blob--if you can find a job there, which is no easy feat these days. It's an auto-dependent, traffic choked metro area where living in an outlying suburb still usually means dealing with nasty traffic when commuting. The winters on the Front Range are certainly not as rigorous as many other locales in the US--I consider them pretty mild, but I'm a Colorado native who has lived in some of the coldest locales in Colorado--but nor are they some subtropical climate. My father ran a business for years on the Front Range where he employed people to do a lot of outside work in all seasons. He got so disgusted with hiring ex-Texans, many of whom would usually quit after the first few bad winter days, that he would ashcan any application that indicated someone was from Texas. I've seen the same thing, too--I'd be outside working in shirtsleeves on a sunny, warmish winter day and some ex-Texan would be in a heavy winter coat b**ching about the freezing cold. It got real old, real fast--because when they were complaining, they also were not working. The last thing some long-time Coloradan wants to hear is someone complaining about the "cold" weather, winter, and winter driving--and that includes, especially, those long-time Coloradans trying to hire somebody to do a job.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks Jazzlover for the input. I can see how hearing the complaining over and over would get old. I prefer the cold which is really why we've made the decision to move there. The heat is just getting old and I hate it. I didn't do anything outside this past summer because it was so fricken hot. The whole side of my mothers family is from Washington and they will never come and visit because they hate the heat. So it will be so awesome to have them actually want to visit. I'm planning on coming up in March and hopefully it'll be cold to where my husband can see it's not bad.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hr1621 View Post
I'm planning on coming up in March and hopefully it'll be cold to where my husband can see it's not bad.
You're making the correct decision to visit in March. Quite bluntly, it is the month that most Coloradans consider the least attractive of the year. It is the month when Colorado weather tends to lurch between winter and summer--warmer than January or February, but also when the Front Range can get some of its most savage winter snowfalls and blizzards, also usually one of the windiest months. If you can stand it here in March, you will probably make it the rest of the year.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
Jazzlover is right, March is a great month to visit. I live in the mountains and it can get really cold sometimes, but I'll take the cold over Houston heat any day. Even in the dead of winter the sun is out and makes it feel much warmer than it actually is. There are plenty of days that I'm shoveling snow in a fleece wishing I was in a t-shirt.

2013 gives you a lot of time to start networking with professionals in your fields in the Denver area. Make your contacts now and research the companies that are appealing to you. Hopefully there will be an upswing in the economy by then.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,983,652 times
Wink Antarctica?

Antarctica? 5,000,000 Coloradoans do not think so, or at least those of such a view having departed for warmer climes.

However, it sure is not Houston. Which also why a good number reside here, as with such little humidity. Your skin will not always appreciate it, but towels hung up dry quickly, nothing gets soggy, and even an otherwise cold winter day can feel warm in the sun. It can be a pleasant climate, although your husband will have to decide just how much he favors the sub-tropics. As others have mentioned, March would not be a bad month to get a taste of the temperamental weather of late winter and early spring.

I have no idea how the market is for IT work in Houston, but if reading some of the many other threads on this forum by those hoping to make Colorado home you'll soon appreciate the potential challenges of the economy in this state. Possible, yes. But since you have over a year to plan this out, perhaps enough as well to do more than just show up and hope for the best.

As far as jobs, winters, and most everything else you specified is concerned, the front range running from basically Colorado Springs to Fort Collins will be where you want to be. The largest market and most services, and arguably mildest weather, save maybe Pueblo, Cañon City. Also distinctly on the flat plains, but directly adjacent to mountains to the west. In many locations one might have a great panoramic view of the mountains in the near distance.

Some will always want to be in the center of town, and perhaps feeling Denver is too rural. But there are a variety of options in this region, from smaller towns to outside of them, but near, in what can pass for rural. The option is there, but expect to pay a premium for real estate compared to many other regions of this country.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Thank you all for the information. Just from what you all have told me it helps a great deal more than researching the interenet. It's really crazy how many different websites I've had to go to get everything I need. I'm really glad I signed up on this one.
We are so excited about moving. Even though my husband is a little sceptical about the cold he's willing to do it for our kids. He knows our kids will have such a better life there than they will here. We want them to be able to experience what nature has to offer and there just isn't much here.
Dogmama50, I'm with you...I prefer the cold over the heat any day. I wish I was there already. I've made a collage of pictures from Colorado and hung it in my office here at work. I put it there as a reminder of what our goal is and how much it's worth it.
Idunn, fortunately the field of work my husband is in is a continuously growing one so I'm very hopeful he won't have too much trouble finding a job. Keeping our fingers crossed.
It's really hard planning something like this so far in advance because I just want to move now but I know it's the smart thing to do to ensure that we have all our ducks in a row before hand.
Counting down the days until March!! Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
If you are willing to have to drive 25-30 miles to a medium or large city you might look at this mix of medium, modest sized and small places:

North of Denver, the smaller cities of Erie, Fredrick and Fort Lupton. Or further north Longmont and Loveland (and the smaller towns of Campion and Berthoud south of it). Or even further north around Windsor.

South of Denver, Castle Rock might be what you are looking for. Or if you are willing to commute further and face tougher winter conditions may go further south to Larkspur. Or go to Monument or Black Forest and look for work in Colorado Springs.

You can search for more information about these cities and towns using the search tool or just browsing other threads.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 PM

221 posts, read 597,560 times
The thing about Colorado is . . . . it's a sunny cold.

It might be 15 degrees outside, but the full sun warms you with radiant heat. It also warms you psychologically.

So just like Phoenix has a dry heat, Denver has a sunny cold.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I don't love the cold, but it's tolerable. I've been here almost a year now. Everyone else is right on! The sun helps so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado