U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,727 times

Advertisements

So, I am moving to SW colorado!

I was looking at housing options in Cortez, and was also shown a house in Dolores. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Dolores? How is the environment/feel of the town? I am a youngish single female and was wondering if Dolores would be a better fit for me. I town is so cute, and the house I looked at was really nice and cute! Is it a friendly place? Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
Dolores is a nice little town, just like many in SW Colorado--as long as you don't need a job. If you do, well, that's a much different story.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 39,828 times
I looked in Dolores as well, it seemed really cute but for me since my commute is already a lot the distance is why i decided not to live there.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,909,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrr View Post
I was looking at housing options in Cortez, and was also shown a house in Dolores. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Dolores?
well .... umm. i guess if you like Cortez you would like Dolores

Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
well .... umm. i guess if you like Cortez you would like Dolores
LOL!! From the choices I have, Cortez and Dolores are the good places

Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM

16,183 posts, read 20,194,083 times
It's been a few months since I've been through Dolores, but have always liked the area. It has been hit as hard as everywhere else regarding the economy. Not much goes on there. A number of the seasonal restaurants and specialty stores closed up last year and those type stores only stayed open during tourist season anyway. You don't have much for shopping there as you know, you'd be going to Cortez for groceries a lot (specifically Safeway and City Market.)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,174,864 times
Always loved Dolores,but times have changed. the big hunting fishing emporium is now boutiques,so sad. still a nice little town,lots of young families and old timers. I do a lot of work there and always enjoy my time there,specially the Hollywood Bar. the good old days of filling the town with tourists in summer and hunters in fall seem to be over. But still a great little town if you can make a living. best grocery store around I stock up when I work there

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,958,857 times
One factor to be aware of is that being closer to the mountains, Dolores gets more snow than Cortez. I lived in Dolores for a while and it IS a cute little town and all that, but you will find yourself driving to Cortez often to get supplies. The Dolores grocery store is nice, but very uptown when it comes to prices. I seldom shopped there because I couldn't afford it.

Neither Cortez or Dolores is anything to write home about when it comes to jobs - especially now with the tourist season over for another year. I work in Cortez part time as a motel desk clerk, and it is dead, dead, dead right now.

If you are looking for the best town for a young person, I'd suggest Mancos because its a shorter drive from there to Durango where all the action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado