Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 36,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move out to Colorado pretty soon. I have lived in FL all my life and he has been here 13 yrs, so we are ready for cold weather and mountains We are making arrangments to visit out there soon to make sure this is what we want to do. We have an 8 month old little boy, so family friendly areas are important.
Any advice would be most helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Colorado is a large state. I don't know many non family friendly areas to rule out for you.

You could spend a lifetime exploring this state. Could you help a little more with an area, or a lifestyle - urban, suburban, rural, mtn?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 AM

8 posts, read 36,960 times
I read that Westminster, broomfield, and louisville were great areas to live. But we are looking for suburban and rural areas.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 AM

88 posts, read 437,422 times
Default check out

Parker, Lone tree, and Castle rock are very nice places to live. Look at the Village homes website, they are the best developer in Colorado. They seem to have a good hold on location and community feel.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost heaven View Post
Parker, Lone tree, and Castle rock are very nice places to live.
I would also add Highlands Ranch, which is next door to Lone Tree. HR is very family friendly. It is hard to find a street that doesn't have kids. It is a master planned community the size of a city. We have 4 rec centers (each are different), open space, walking trails, parks, outstanding schools, churches, and shopping all within the community. Our HOA's are only $118/quarter, which supports all those amenities I listed. We are also close to the Denver Tech Center, where many jobs are, as well as about 30 minutes from Denver. It is "suburbia", which bothers some people, but HR is a popular place for families to settle.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,674 times
big change from florida. be prepared for winter weather and dryness.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
If you are looking for more rural areas I would suggest small towns in Weld county such as Ault, Eaton, Nunn. Then maybe look into Wellington which is North of Fort Collins about 10 miles. They all offer great family values and good schools for your son when he gets old enough.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Colorado has lots of southern areas. Not everything is North. There is also a West. Do you want close to the mountains or more out on the plains just looking at them? I would suggest that you find the work that the family needs and go from there. Finding friendly is not even in the equation. If you are friendly, Colorado people are friendly. No problem. But jobs could be.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboymommy View Post
We have an 8 month old little boy, so family friendly areas are important.
Any advice would be most helpful, thanks!
Where do you expect to work?
What line of work are you in?
Do you plan on moving before you find a job?
What is your housing price or monthly rent target?
What is your commuting comfort zone (in minutes)?
Where do your and your husband's parents live?

Are "cold weather and mountains" the only reason you want to pack up and move?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Agree with the others. "Any advice" is a bit vague.
Quote:
I read that Westminster, broomfield, and louisville were great areas to live. But we are looking for suburban and rural areas.
All of the above are northwestern suburbs. Of the three, Louisville is the least suburban-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado