U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:37 PM

20,381 posts, read 37,949,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I always go by the definition of "State Lottery" from "Wiley's Dictionary" in the comic strip "B.C.": "When 5 million stupid people make one stupid person look smart."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,420,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Once again, you make swarmy predictions based on nothing but thin air. Even the pumpmonkeys whose business it is to hype the real estate market are now admitting that it may take a decade or more for the housing market to recover--and they admit that it may never recover to past levels.
Those are not my projections but from reports I have been reading including the Kipplinger Letter. According to them, and I have found they tend to be right on economic matters, the housing market will start to come back early in 2012 and housing values will go up about 2% the rest of the year. That is far from where it was and it will take a few years to get that back but the point is the market is about to turn around and that includes the condo market at the ski resorts.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:06 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,629,243 times
You two, go to your rooms, NOW.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,356,939 times
A good example of the difference now Vs then:

Gas In Aspen is about 15 times the price in the late 60's

Lift tickets are 50 times the price.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM

726 posts, read 1,820,017 times
We try to go skiing at least once a week, with a couple of long weekends and usually a timeshare week. Our passes were around 400ish. It ends up being less than 20 bucks a day for us. A couple of weeks ago we went to Dave and Buster's (certainly not a high end dining experience) and a movie. For the two of us it was over $120. My point? everything is relative. Deals are there if you look. We go to Steamboat and stay in the cheapest hotel in town. I think it is the way you approach spending. We are the type of people who prepay for entertainment. We buy passes for skiing, packs or season tickets for sporting events. BTW we are def middle class people with no plans on discontinuing our passes.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,082,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Better scoop them up while they last, just checked on rooms at the Ritz-Carlton Beaver Creek.
$3,800 / night, what a steal. RP
If it's at Christmas, no surprise. Everything books up and the nice places can charge a steep price.

The Ritz though is in bankruptcy. I haven't checked the latest news, but I do know it entered bankruptcy protection this year.

I used to go through there for work probably 10 times a week. I never found it overly attractive and it sits on a steep, steep hillside and there is nowhere else to walk to and no way to do so if there was something to walk to. They do have shuttles over to Beaver Creek but a lot of the guests that stayed there found it limiting and overpriced for what it was.

And then next door is the Ritz Carlton Vacation Club(timeshares) for your wannabe millionaires who never will be, because their higher than average incomes are eaten up by high living and binge spending on worthless assets.

I heard some Occupy attitudes earlier in this thread. I used to work for all these rich folks in Vail and most of the people that can afford these places have created a lot of wealth and a lot of jobs for other people, tens of thousands of jobs in some cases per person. So I don't begrudge them any of there success and most people would be surprised that many of these people are frugal and wear regular clothes and drive Ford Explorers. If they want to buy a big house, big deal and good for them.

Yes I ran into a few "Wall Street" fast money douchebags but they were the exception rather than the rule.

And the thing is, you can have a piece of this lifestyle easily. There are tons of these multimillion dollar places up for rent for a week for $1000-$4000. Sounds pricey but some of these big homes you can get 7-20 people in one house and when you break the cost down per person it's a pretty reasonable vacation.

You also don't have to eat in Splendido or Sweet Basil every night or rent limos or buy the latest ski gear. Nor do you have to go on the high season weeks.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,205,435 times
Quit sking years ago when Purgatory wouldnt let me on the lift with my super fulplast skies with ankle straps .all cross country now,all free,big hills. finished the new Purgatory lodge couple of years ago big bucks,too bad the bubble burst and 75% of thier buyers got disqualified.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:11 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,629,243 times
Ditto, I got some odd looks with my 210 Olin mark VI's with look nevada N17 bindings. Nice to do a straight ski day from time to time. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,463,750 times
It can be affordable, for starters, avoid peak season. Prices start dropping in mid-march. My friend comes out for a trip usually around March 20th. 5-6 day trip runs about $500 + food. I also don't need to stay in any fancy condo. Normal hotel works fine.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM

808 posts, read 1,181,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I used to work for all these rich folks in Vail and most of the people that can afford these places have created a lot of wealth and a lot of jobs for other people, tens of thousands of jobs in some cases per person.
I'm about as fiscally-conservative, family-oriented as it gets, definitely not "occupying" anything other than my self-employed office-chair, but I can't help question whether most of these folks "created" tens of thousands of jobs or "offshored" them and pocketed the difference. I don't begrudge anyone getting filthy Aspen rich, but don't whitewash how it's actually been accomplished over the past 30 years, for the most part. I love capitalism. I love being able to buy a toaster for $12. That doesn't mean I also have to pretend bad-actors are not rewarded lavishly when the social "contract" breaks down, as it has, Enron-ing their way to wealth. It would be cheating, except for the fact there are no rules left to break. BP execs paid themselves rather large "safety bonuses" last year, for crying out loud. There comes a point its almost too absurd to believe.

As for skiing, season passes are very much the way to go, if one must ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado