U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
 
1,370 posts, read 2,456,693 times
Reputation: 1909

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
--I've been for over 40 years.

Is that supposed to impress us or make us feel inferior to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
4,888 posts, read 8,915,728 times
Reputation: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
[in response to jazzlover] I wish you would get over your insulting "I'm a real Coloradan" and everyone else is just a "wannabe" mantra
I understand your consternation, but please let's keep this thread on topic, with helpful and factual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM
 
20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Reputation: 18118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I understand your consternation, but please let's keep this thread on topic, with helpful and factual information.
Gee, wouldn't that be nice, to see postings which are JUST helpful and factual, instead of some that are 10% helpful and 90% bitterness and calling people idiots, morons, and wannabes.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-23-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Southeastern Colorado
319 posts, read 620,994 times
Reputation: 439
In other news, those of us in the southeastern part of the state were totally isolated during last week's blizzard. Interstate: closed south of Pueblo into New Mexico. State highways: closed pretty much from I-25 to the borders of Kansas and Oklahoma. County or local roads: Hah! No way out, no way in. As long as you have heat and food, all is well and you can enjoy the hibernation. If you don't, you'll either ask somebody to help you out, or you'll dig in your self-resourceful heels and get through best you can.

Medical emergencies - especially among the elderly - are another story altogether, but that's part of the remote, rural experience. Before the (first) storm really cranked up, one of our local guys drove two elders up to the highway and met up with the Trinidad ambulance, which turned around and transported the patient and his wife the remaining 40 miles to the hospital. They both had to stay put through the night, since by then the roads were closed and they were safer right where they were.

Electricity comes and goes. Wind blows and blows. Mud between your toes. Sometimes nothing grows. If it's your cuppa tea, you'll know it and love it. If not, you'll leave soon after arrival, a bit battered yet wiser.

(Now that wasn't so hard, was it? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And before you so easily say, "If you live along one of those roads and you have to get to town in an emergency on a stormy winter night--well, too bad for you", perhaps it will be you or your father or son who dies of a heart attack when they can't get to a hospital due to road conditions.

If Colorado doesn't want to pay to have modern-first class snow removal from roads so that they can keep taxes low, so be it. But Colorado needs to understand that it can be done well if there's the will.
Parts of Colorado are too rural for that to ever be realistic, which is why I always caution the mountain cabin dreamers about this. In some cases it's easy in Colorado to live 2 hours or more from a hospital and in bad weather that complicates things. If you slip and fall or have a heart attack, plowed roads or not, you've got an issue.

My ancestry goes back 100 years in Colorado and without fail, all of my mountain relatives have relocated out of isolated Colorado mountain properties into a town or near a town as they have gotten to around 70 years of age.

As far as I know Jazz lives close to a town, but if he doesn't, yes it could be him someday and I think he can recognize that and probably accepts that as the reality of living in the boonies. Colorado has a lot of difficult terrain and weather and it wasn't THAT long ago it was the wild west and I'd argue a lot of it still is. It's why it's a fact that 90% of Colorado's population lives among the I-25 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,125,069 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Gee, wouldn't that be nice, to see postings which are JUST helpful and factual, instead of some that are 10% helpful and 90% bitterness and calling people idiots, morons, and wannabes.
And wouldn't be nice if people who either have only lived in Colorado a relatively short time and/or don't even live in the rural parts of Colorado might have some respect for the experience and opinions of people who HAVE lived in Colorado for a long time and have PLENTY of experience with the realities of this place.

To quote Walt Whitman's oft-cited phrase, "If you done it, it ain't braggin'."

And, wanneroo is quite right. If you live in rural Colorado, especially the isolated areas, you have to accept the reality that in some medical emergencies that you might survive somewhere in the metro areas, in the boonies, you may not. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with that rather than dealing with the crowds of sheeple one has to contend with on the roads and elsewhere in the metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 06:32 PM
 
20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Reputation: 18118
WE have respect, you won't hear anyone else calling those folks idiots, morons or wannabes, you're the one with the chip on his shoulder and an execrable attitude towards most people in this state, an attitude we hope you deep six and start the new year with a spirit of being positive and supporting of one another.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-23-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,997 posts, read 8,914,315 times
Reputation: 18346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Parts of Colorado are too rural for that to ever be realistic, which is why I always caution the mountain cabin dreamers about this. In some cases it's easy in Colorado to live 2 hours or more from a hospital and in bad weather that complicates things. If you slip and fall or have a heart attack, plowed roads or not, you've got an issue.

My ancestry goes back 100 years in Colorado and without fail, all of my mountain relatives have relocated out of isolated Colorado mountain properties into a town or near a town as they have gotten to around 70 years of age.

As far as I know Jazz lives close to a town, but if he doesn't, yes it could be him someday and I think he can recognize that and probably accepts that as the reality of living in the boonies. Colorado has a lot of difficult terrain and weather and it wasn't THAT long ago it was the wild west and I'd argue a lot of it still is. It's why it's a fact that 90% of Colorado's population lives among the I-25 corridor.
Waneroo and Bovinedivine, I agree with everything you've said. And I note that you two have done it without being insulting.

There's no question that living in many parts of Colorado is a challenge, particularly during the winter. People ought to think very carefully before they choose to live up in the mountains and a few other isolated spots. One certainly does need to assume the risks of their choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,221 posts, read 4,655,096 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One certainly does need to assume the risks of their choices.
Now there's a concept I could agree with. But are you trying to put the trial lawyers of America out of business?

Assuming the risks of your own choices has become patently un-American...if you make risky choices and they go south on you, it's always someone else's fault! If someone elects to live in Silverton and starts having chest pains the first time he picks up a snow shovel due to the 9,300 foot altitude and 30 years of sedentary homage to the Cholesterol Gods, clearly the blame (and the bill) for his troubles should go to those that didn't plow the...unpaved...roads up there. C'mon, give the guy a break--he's not an idiot moron wannabe...he's a VICTIM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,997 posts, read 8,914,315 times
Reputation: 18346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Now there's a concept I could agree with. But are you trying to put the trial lawyers of America out of business?

Assuming the risks of your own choices has become patently un-American...if you make risky choices and they go south on you, it's always someone else's fault! If someone elects to live in Silverton and starts having chest pains the first time he picks up a snow shovel due to the 9,300 foot altitude and 30 years of sedentary homage to the Cholesterol Gods, clearly the blame (and the bill) for his troubles should go to those that didn't plow the...unpaved...roads up there. C'mon, give the guy a break--he's not an idiot moron wannabe...he's a VICTIM!!
Well, let's just keep things balanced and in perspective.

I have some heart and blood pressure issues. So, when I moved to Colorado Springs I bought a townhouse that was within a reasonable distance from a hospital (two in fact). That was my responsibility -- to plan wisely for my health needs. And, as you point out, one who wants to live in a place like Silverton ought to take into consideration the lack of health care facilities (I guess the nearest hospitals are Durango at 48 miles or Montrose at 60 miles).

On the other hand, if one lives in a large community, there's a clear expectation that governments will keep major arteries (of the transportation sort) open, even during most weather conditions. A blizzard is something else, of course.

It's very much like when I was a school administrator. We would have parents send children to school who were seriously ill. They failed in their responsibility. But as the school administrator, it was also my responsibility to assure that our clinic was covered by an adult who knew what to do in foreseeable medical situations...not necessary treat the patient, but be able to recognize symptoms and when to call 911. Parents needed to be wise, but we (the institution) needed to be responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top