U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Once again, no facts, just smoke, amateurish name calling (again) and alleged conversations with people in (fill in the blank) industry; not that low level workers in any industry have much of a clue about their industry trends.
I notice that you did not refute the factual content of my post about refining vs. crude oil imports--because you can't.

Also, they are not "low level" people--that is an assumption on your part . . .

I'll just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 AM

19,076 posts, read 8,986,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I notice that you did not refute the factual content of my post about refining vs. crude oil imports--because you can't.

Also, they are not "low level" people--that is an assumption on your part . . .

I'll just leave it at that.
I think there are some aspects of the conversation some of us are trying to have with you that you are not understanding.

First the concept of "facts". Talking to people "in the field", doesn't necessarily translate into getting real facts. And we're not talking about "low level" people. People in any field are not necessarily "up" on the facts. Many, perhaps most, know their little piece of the picture in any given field. I was a school principal and administrator for many years. My teachers, even the best of the bunch, knew little about real trends in public education or new strategies in teacher or developments in treatment of conditions that affected childhood education. For the most part, they operated on gut instinct and taught pretty much the way they were taught when they were students. And, just for the record, we were an award winning school in our state, and often in academic competitions among the highest performing schools in the country.

And, we really don't have much trust in your anecdotal conversations with "people in the field". Describing people whom you don't like as "media pukes" has no bearing on what the truth is. Most reporters probably based much of their stories on conversations with people in the field. So their sources, often named, are at least as good as your unnamed sources.

And, perhaps what we most dislike about your posts is the tone. It reminds me of a little political history in the U.S. Back in the 1960s there was a Senator from Oregon named Wayne Morse. Mrose became such an outspoken and harsh critic of the Vietnam War that, quite frankly, people stopped listening to him. Turned out that a lot of what he said was accurate, but his message got lost in the rhetoric. You obviously take a lot of pride in being a curmudgeon. You yourself call yourself that. Do you really know the definition of a curmudgeon? Among the synonyms listed by Miriam-Webster: are "bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, grumbler, grump, sourpuss, and whiner." I can't speak for everybody, but I don't put much stock in what that kind of person says or thinks. You're becoming the Wayne Morse of the forum. Which is too bad, because on a lot of topics you do know quite a bit.

At the very least, I think most of us would just like you to stop the name-calling.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,942,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think there are some aspects of the conversation some of us are trying to have with you that you are not understanding.
Guys ... what does this have to do with "Dealing with Winter in Colordado" ...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:31 PM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Guys ... what does this have to do with "Dealing with Winter in Colordado" ...
Because in many of the conversations people try to have in these forums, the thread gets hijacked with a lot of bitter hateful unsubstantiated BS about exploding prices, collapsing economies, zero jobs, doom, empty storefronts, gloom, apocalyptic predictions and millions of Coloradans and other people are referred to as idiots, morons, wannabes, pumpmonkeys, media pukes and other terms of endearment -- none of which had anything to do with the topic the OP wanted to address. The purpose of these forums is to assist people seeking answers to questions, and not to take someone's inquiry and turn it into a soapbox and a rant about wide-ranging issues that are not relative to the topic.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-26-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,859,240 times
Wink Pump-monkeys & all others

I do not know about pump-monkeys and media pukes, albeit fairly sure most politicians are pump-monkeys, and many members of the press who apparently never learned in journalism school that reporting requires research (of their own) might qualify as media pukes.

Be that as it may, that insofar as this topic is concerned one factor perhaps not discussed enough is what the rising price of fuel will mean to all rural residents. Urban as well, but all the more if a 100 mile trip to the post office and store in a Ford F150. That can go as well for plowing driveways, or anything else fuel, heating included, is used for. Obviously some overlap with the urban environment, but perhaps not as readily apparent if transit shorter versus longer commutes.

The price of gasoline at least has dropped somewhat of late, to about $4 per gallon on the West Coast, and even if less in Colorado still at a level that had many people complaining and seriously considering alternatives a few years ago. Only this the new assumed level and norm. But not only does the price of fuel reflect in every service and item purchased, in trend we are still at about the peak plateau of all recoverable oil. If that is not readily apparent in part because many have not looked closely at the situation and available data, and also because in the short term it can be hidden with additional extraction. But only for so long, which goes as well for natural gas. Which also serves as good example, because while petroleum has many vital uses far beyond transportation which cannot be easily duplicated by other sources, if at all, a reminder of where we stand when corporations and governments are willing to destroy entire ecosystems, such as with the tar sands in Alberta, or compromise underlying geology and water supplies throughout the United States and elsewhere. That they are doing this indicates, and indeed so, that the easy oil is already spoken for and on its way to gone.

Meanwhile, as a white Christmas across so much of Colorado, that lovely. All the more so enjoyed from the vantage of a warm house.

If including all between Thanksgiving and the New Year as the holiday season, then still applicable to extend my best wishes to all, even pump-monkeys, but most of all all whom love Colorado: Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times
jazzlover wrote:
Most Colorado wannabes don't have a clue about what it takes to live in isolated rural area and deal with the rigors of winter.
Here we go again! Would you provide data that can actually be verified to back up this claim? Who are these people you refer to as most Colorado wannabes?

jazzlover wrote:
The best answer is probably that "If you have to ask, you'll never know."
The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. It makes no sense whatsoever to put someone down for asking a question. Attempting to crash the hopes of a Colorado wannabe by making ignorant statements does NOT raise your pedestal any higher.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-26-2011 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM

10,614 posts, read 11,709,270 times
Sooooooooo.....anyway...........

A friend moved into a mobile home in Austin (or Orchard City now) his pipes froze and we spent the day thawing them out. He moved here in July, didn't think about pipe wrap, insulation, common sense stuff. He got a quick education. I got a bottle of rum for helping. I told him it's not even winter yet, wait a few weeks. This is "just stupid cold" according to him. I don't think it's all that bad. It did get to 33 today.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sooooooooo.....anyway...........

A friend moved into a mobile home in Austin (or Orchard City now) his pipes froze and we spent the day thawing them out. He moved here in July, didn't think about pipe wrap, insulation, common sense stuff. He got a quick education. I got a bottle of rum for helping. I told him it's not even winter yet, wait a few weeks. This is "just stupid cold" according to him. I don't think it's all that bad. It did get to 33 today.
You got me on that one. I had to look Orchard City up on Google Maps.

I will say that this summer I stayed overnight in Fort MOrgan. That's a nice little city.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM

10,614 posts, read 11,709,270 times
Orchard City is Austin, Eckert, and Cory. Those small towns combined to get a federal loan for a water district (from what I was told). All between Delta and Cedaredge off hwy 65.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Orchard City is Austin, Eckert, and Cory. Those small towns combined to get a federal loan for a water district (from what I was told). All between Delta and Cedaredge off hwy 65.
Ah, I had been looking at a small town called Orchard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado