U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a small property no more than 3 hours away from Denver for a future cabin in the Colorado Mountains. I want to use this cabin as a base for summer and winter recreation and weekend getaways. So far I have found the area around Alma Colorado to be fit the bill. Can anyone one recommend other areas where I should be looking, and also any feedback on the area around Alma (Placer Valley, Sun Valley) will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
To rent or buy?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
So many considerations:

What is a "small property"? Do you mean a lot, building site, acreage?

What is your price range?

What "winter recreation"? downhill skiing, snowmobiling, or ?

How accessible do you want this "cabin" to be? How isolated from other development, shopping, etc?

Do you want it to be on the grid for utilities, rustic, or a modern facility? Do you want to be on well water or a municipal supplier?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,075 times
I like to purchase the property, my price range for the property is ~$25K, I would like it to be as isolated as possible but on the grid and accessible year round.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:07 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
Not knowing your background or familiarity with living in the "boonies", you might find this thread interesting too: Dealing with winter and snow in Colorado

Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Real estate in Alma

Leadville claims to be the highest incorporated town in Colorado, and therefore I presume the nation, but apparently no one there has been to Alma.

I suppose Alma is incorporated, and at 10,361 feet it resides slightly higher in elevation than Leadville at 10,152. So, oh, I don't know, when considering such factors as the weather and what not, some consideration for conditions above 10,000 feet.

If not seeming likely, it is actually possible to get one's foot in the door near Alma for under $25,000. In an off-hand look, the cheapest real estate I saw was .75 acres of land for $19,000. However prices then jump up to $28,500 and beyond for what might be an acre. Which may or not be close to town.

While the most expensive residence listed in Alma goes for well over one million, if willing to nudge the budget up a little, an actual residence in town can be had for $33,000, with several more of similar humble stature for not much more. Looked at closely, one might discern this something of a deal, as even the raw land might cost more. In the case of this least expensive example, with no utilities presently hooked up, but presumably at least with the option of municipal service. As far as locations, that will depend and vary, but with such a low budget one cannot afford to be overly picky, and maybe with a neighbor (but utilities) closer than one might like, or way off in the sticks with lots of peace, quiet and privacy, and utilities left to figure out on your own.

Alma is an interesting if odd town, helped not at all by the mess of nearby mining. But of course with relative access into Breckenridge, and therefore at least my surprise that everything isn't already more expensive.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhavary View Post
I like to purchase the property, my price range for the property is ~$25K, I would like it to be as isolated as possible but on the grid and accessible year round.
I remember 10-15 years ago $25K could get you a little spread around Alma, but not now, except for 2 acre or less lots.

Being isolated but being on the grid and accessible year round is going to be a tough deal. There are only a few main roads in the area and it's not an overly developed area. It's also snow covered or has snow for up to 9 months a year which is going to make access a chore if you live off the main highway.

There are some amazingly scenic parts of South Park, which I lump Alma in(whether they technically include Alma or not I don't know), but it's rough, cold, rural living.

My recommendation is that if you do this, buy a lot in an established subdivision or one that has a property owners association, so you will have an easier time getting water, utilities and access in winter.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
With only a $25,000 budget ... and desiring year around access and utilities on the grid ... while still isolated ....

You don't have enough money to make this work anywhere within 3 hours of Denver in the mountains.

Even if you could find a piece of raw undeveloped land available for $25,000, the costs of development, utilities, access ... prior to building any structure that would be a year around cabin ... will total a lot more than that.

I don't mean to rain on your vision here of a nice little hideaway in the Colorado mountains, but $25,000 isn't much more than a downpayment on such a remote/isolated cabin. Maybe a couple of decades ago this was possible, but not today ... even at some of the distress prices around, it's an unrealistic figure. And yes ... I've been around Fairplay and Alma, camping there, staying with friends at their properties since the mid 1960's ... and have watched the boom and bust cycles of Colorado mountain lands around the area. A buildable site with utilities isn't inexpensive, and year-around access means you'll be close to a developed town, not in a remote area.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
Ignoring the price, I liked Tabernash.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,413,601 times
Hartsel is 24 miles to the South of Alma off of Highway 9. You can definitely find land there for a great price with great views!! Look around enough and you can get an isolated spot I suppose... thats where I would go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or