U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 27,549 times

Advertisements

Pueblo, Co. looks like where I will move to. I would like some insight as to the neighbourhoods. (N. S. E. W.) I am retiring as want someplace safe and quiet. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Safe, quiet, and cheap, describes thousands of small rural towns all over the map.

Pueblo is an old steel mill town trying to raise itself up, with some degree of success.

IIRC, stay away from the east side, the area known as Bessemer.

Don't overlook nice areas west of town, like Pueblo West or Canon City, for which we have plenty of threads on here that can be found with the search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 20,344,698 times
I will answer that by telling you the areas to avoid. They are the east side south of highway 47, the area right by the Colorado State Hospital, and Bessemer. Bessemer is actually not on the east side but its more south by Northern Ave near to the steel mill.

The areas I like are the south side, downtown if you want the more urban living area or just north of downtown by Parkview that is a older area, the north side in areas like Eagle Ridge and by CSU Pueblo.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM

840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
Another nice area is out on the mesa toward Vineland. Very close by to Pueblo proper, but rural. If that sort of environment suits you.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Another nice area is out on the mesa toward Vineland. Very close by to Pueblo proper, but rural. If that sort of environment suits you.
That is a good point. The area is known as Blende or as the locals call it "the county". It is rural and to be honest a little more expensive as well. One of the good, or bad, things about the area is it has not grown much since the 1950's and 1960's so it feels like you go back in time when you there.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 27,549 times
Default PUEBLO area

Thanks for the ideas. They helped a lot. I plan to come out there next week to look.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 10,629 times
Default Big move for single woman....

Thank you all for your contributions on Pueblo, CO. I'd appreciate any additional feedback on this. See, I need to be where there is a REAL ORGANIC HEALTH FOOD STORE, as my health literally depends on it. I am used to getting in my car and driving to a destination in a city, as, again, health-wise, mass transportation is very energy draining for me. Although I certainly do fly (also exhausting, but necessary) to get to where I need to go. Right now I am in the Midwest. I'd love to find the "right" place so that I'm not far from getting to AZ (Sedona), NM (Taos), and thinking that if I lived in CO, I'd have more of the green mountains, terrain of Wisconsin. And I prefer a little chill... some snow ok, as I want to still be able to wear my vintage furs for a part of the year. BUT I also really want a change.... experience the desert..... if not for the high temps in AZ, I would really check out Sedona...hear there is SOME relatively reasonable priced housing. Oh... and I'd like condo living....gotta have a deck wide enough and long enough to have a hammock AND a patio table w/chairs.

Thought Brevard, NC was going to be my place, and found a condo but turned out it had been so chemically treated and condo was literally all carpeted ... even the bathrooms...with this chemical that I'd have to tear out all carpeting and put down a totally new and expensive floor.... and have to pay to live and store my furniture elsewhere.... so THAT would be exhausting and very expensive AND their organic food store lost its lease. But loved the Blue Ridge Mountain Range, the springs, the falls, etc. GORGEOUS STATE. But then so is Colorado, which I intend to visit .... but need reasonably priced condo/condo fees and preferably NOT A COLLEGE TOWN, or at least not live where students can rent (sorry.... but I've had it with the college-aged renters around me.

So, with ALL THIS SAID, does Pueblo still sound like a good idea? Any other ideas, including other states and/or other cities? I'm a single gal, independent-minded, a writer of sci fi, and not operating with any kind of support system. 'cept you all out there!!!

Much thanks...

Old 12-25-2011, 07:32 PM

13,627 posts, read 21,483,824 times
No, not Pueblo. Taos New Mexico... Durango Colorado perhaps. Is that so?

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultrysol View Post
Thank you all for your contributions on Pueblo, CO. I'd appreciate any additional feedback on this. See, I need to be where there is a REAL ORGANIC HEALTH FOOD STORE, as my health literally depends on it. I am used to getting in my car and driving to a destination in a city, as, again, health-wise, mass transportation is very energy draining for me. Although I certainly do fly (also exhausting, but necessary) to get to where I need to go. Right now I am in the Midwest. I'd love to find the "right" place so that I'm not far from getting to AZ (Sedona), NM (Taos), and thinking that if I lived in CO, I'd have more of the green mountains, terrain of Wisconsin. And I prefer a little chill... some snow ok, as I want to still be able to wear my vintage furs for a part of the year. BUT I also really want a change.... experience the desert..... if not for the high temps in AZ, I would really check out Sedona...hear there is SOME relatively reasonable priced housing. Oh... and I'd like condo living....gotta have a deck wide enough and long enough to have a hammock AND a patio table w/chairs.

Thought Brevard, NC was going to be my place, and found a condo but turned out it had been so chemically treated and condo was literally all carpeted ... even the bathrooms...with this chemical that I'd have to tear out all carpeting and put down a totally new and expensive floor.... and have to pay to live and store my furniture elsewhere.... so THAT would be exhausting and very expensive AND their organic food store lost its lease. But loved the Blue Ridge Mountain Range, the springs, the falls, etc. GORGEOUS STATE. But then so is Colorado, which I intend to visit .... but need reasonably priced condo/condo fees and preferably NOT A COLLEGE TOWN, or at least not live where students can rent (sorry.... but I've had it with the college-aged renters around me.

So, with ALL THIS SAID, does Pueblo still sound like a good idea? Any other ideas, including other states and/or other cities? I'm a single gal, independent-minded, a writer of sci fi, and not operating with any kind of support system. 'cept you all out there!!!

Much thanks...
Organic food stores? Sounds like Boulder would be more your kind of place, but then you affirm no college towns.

Flagstaff, AZ is about a 45 minute drive from Sedona (which itself is not as hot as Phoenix) and it's much cooler. Flagstaff is higher elevation and gets more snow than Denver. The whole town is built in a ponderosa pine forest. But it's a college town (NAU), so I guess that's out too.

Maybe you should check out Santa Fe, NM?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 48,710 times
OP: If you are determined to live in the Pueblo area and "safe and quiet" are most important to you, I would strongly recommend Pueblo West. I have lived here for 2.5 years as a retiree and have found it to be very safe, quiet, uncrowded, and affordable. I have great views of the Wet Mountains to the west, Pikes Peak to the north, and the Pueblo Reservoir to the south. Wildlife from the adjacent state park (deer, pronghorn, coyotes, red and kit fox, jackrabbits, eagles, owls, and even an occasional bobcat) are frequently seen in my neighborhood. There are no streetlights in the residential areas, so stargazing is amazing. In most areas of Pueblo West, lots are over one acre in size, which provides homeowners with a fair amount of privacy and distance from neighbors. Traffic is a non-issue. I have not been the victim of any crime - even vandalism - since moving here. Basic shopping (Walmart, Safeway, a few gas stations and fast food restaurants) is available in Pueblo West, with major shopping available 5-10 miles away in Pueblo. Some of the best housing values in the state are found in Pueblo West. Property taxes are very reasonable, and the sales tax is only 3.9% (compared to 7.5% in Pueblo). I am not a "city person" and enjoy the semi-rural feel of Pueblo West. But I also enjoy having all the urban conveniences (shopping, restaurants, medical care, arts and entertainment, etc) of a larger city like Pueblo so close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or