U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 AM

169 posts, read 318,296 times

Advertisements

Cue the hillbilly comments, but I find myself yearning for some. I'll have one shipped if none is available but the postage would probably cost more than the entire ham.
Btw, this is the my conversation with a 70ish y/o "butcher" at Wal-Mart, yesterday:
Me-"I know it's a long shot, but do you have country ham?"
Him-(puzzled look, takes hat off, scratches head) "Huh?"
Me-"Never mind."
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,614,432 times
I haven't seen them up here, but Smithfield Marketplace online was offering free shipping, not sure if it's still valid.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I haven't seen them up here, but Smithfield Marketplace online was offering free shipping, not sure if it's still valid.
Thanks, Dogmama. I tried to give you some reputation points but C-D is forcing me to spread the love around, first.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,026,437 times
From the google advertising on this very page:

Old Virginia Ham Shop
Kuttawa Kentucky Country Ham | KY Smoked Bacon | Sausage For Sale

Colorado doesn't seem to be a state big on ham, unlike the mid atlantic.

Probably if you want something specific, order online. At the end of the day getting exactly what you want is better than going from store to store tracking it down.

I decided at Christmas that I wanted real BBQ from Texas, so I ordered it from a well known BBQ joint in Texas. After pounds of turkey, brisket and sausage and many meals made out of it, my taste is satisfied for now.

By the way what is the difference between country ham and other hams?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM

You poor thing, to have never had country ham . Country ham is liberally salted before being hung up to dry/cure, which usually lasts from 3-9 months, that's the only difference. The main flavor profile is the saltiness, and depending on the curing time, the texture is much more dry than "city ham", tending toward jerky, but never quite THAT dry. You can't make one too salty for me, but I have family members who despise it for that very reason. Any restaurant in the south worth its salt (pun intended) will have it on the menu and it's traditionally eaten with biscuits or as a steak with red-eye gravy.
If you like your food salty, try it, you won't regret it.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Ham biscuits are the BOMB!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM

[quote=Mike from back east;22317199]Ham biscuits are the BOMB!

You've got that right.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,263,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Cue the hillbilly comments, but I find myself yearning for some. I'll have one shipped if none is available but the postage would probably cost more than the entire ham.
Btw, this is the my conversation with a 70ish y/o "butcher" at Wal-Mart, yesterday:
Me-"I know it's a long shot, but do you have country ham?"
Him-(puzzled look, takes hat off, scratches head) "Huh?"
Me-"Never mind."
I think it's a regional thing. You're as likely to find grits in CO as you are a country ham.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,171,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post

You poor thing, to have never had country ham . Country ham is liberally salted before being hung up to dry/cure, which usually lasts from 3-9 months, that's the only difference. The main flavor profile is the saltiness, and depending on the curing time, the texture is much more dry than "city ham", tending toward jerky, but never quite THAT dry. You can't make one too salty for me, but I have family members who despise it for that very reason. Any restaurant in the south worth its salt (pun intended) will have it on the menu and it's traditionally eaten with biscuits or as a steak with red-eye gravy.
If you like your food salty, try it, you won't regret it.
There is much more to a country cured ham than salt. It is liberally salted and cured for many months. However, in preparation the ham is cooked before eating. You will see restaurants slice and serve salt cured hams but it is fried before service. Yes, that preparation is salty.

You could eat a dried cured salt ham raw but that would require the ham to be specially dried cured and for a much longer period as in a Italian Prosciutto.

The common country hams that I have seen are not ready to eat and must be cooked. However, there are cooked country hams that are ready to eat and available.Sometimes they are smoked but it more commonly is a cold smoke and usually just for flavor--again I would cook before eating. Hams are required to provide full disclosures and cooking instructions which can vary from producers--you cannot make an assumption that a country cured ham is ready to eat--there are much variabilities and styles that exist in curing hams.

The more common retail hams are wet cured,injected with a cure and methods exist to inject and cook and smoked (sometimes hot or cold), but they are fully cured, cooked and ready to eat.

When I was a kid, in New York, salt cured hams were regularly available in grocery markets. Preparations first called for boiling the ham, to remove excess salt and to initially cook it. After it was baked. These hams required cooking.

Livecontent

Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Well you learn something new every day.

I'm not too much into overly salty stuff but I would try it and see. The local Mennonite store has country ham luncheon meat but I always got the maple cured ham instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or