U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,549 times

Advertisements

I've been searching through the forums and found a ton of useful information! Here's something I'd like to have clarified, though.

How would you all describe the culture in GJ? I would imagine it's pretty conservative politically, but how about culturally? Are people predominantly religious or nonreligious? Is the culture more similar to Denver, CO Springs, or Pueblo? Or something entirely different?

Please spare me fire warnings about the economy/water/job situation on the Western Slope ... I've heard it all before and that's not what I'm asking about here.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM

16,171 posts, read 20,180,588 times
I've lived on the western slope full time for over two decades and worked on construction projects in this part of the state for longer than that.

I find that there is pretty much a balance of sorts regarding religious denominations. Now one might assume that there would be a huge presence of LDS churches as we're not far from the Utah border but that is not the case in the Grand Junction area. Over the last several years I've noticed an increase somewhat in interdenomination churches. One that comes to mind is the Fellowship Church just off Interstate 70 and the 24 road exit. The size of the church is immense. Another would be Grace Point Church on 28 3/4 Road just north of Patterson Road. But for the most part, it looks to me that most denominations are pretty much split up equally here.

Regarding religious or anti-religious, considering the amount of retired people who have moved here in the last couple decades I would give a slight nod to religious.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,549 times
Thanks for the info! Would you consider Grand Junction to be more blue collar or white collar? Or is it a mix of the two?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM

16,171 posts, read 20,180,588 times
Probably a mix, I thought real hard about blue collar because of the presence of the energy companies such as Halliburton. Those type companies is where the higher wages are. The massive cutback and the eventual layoffs that hit this area back in "09 certainly have taken its toll here. Wages in general in the Grand Junction area are not good regarding the rest of the work force, though there are some exceptions. A number of people in their 40's in my area are working at the fast food restaurants and have been for some time.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-04-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,903,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by also_ran View Post
How would you all describe the culture in GJ? I would imagine it's pretty conservative politically, but how about culturally?
A quiet town. Probably 1/2 the people were born and raised there with families going back a few generations. The other 1/2 are oilfield workers and miscelleneous outsiders. Predominantly white (Caucasian) . Very few people of other races.

It's mostly a kind of ranching/cowboy/oilfield culture. There are lots of people who hunt and ride 4-wheelers. There are lots of big, lifted pickup trucks driving around town.

This might give the impression that people there would be mean to outsiders, but actually the opposite is true. I found people there to be very tolerant and not nosy or meddlesome in the least.

When I lived there I got the impression most of the people are religious, but any more information I couldn't say.

It's a small town culture in an area known for agriculture and oil, so it's a different culture than any of the Front Range towns. I personally found it to be very pleasant, as it's a peaceful town with little to no visible crime.

To answer your second question, Grand Junction is definitely a "blue collar" town with blue collar attitudes and values.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,198,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
A quiet town. Probably 1/2 the people were born and raised there with families going back a few generations. The other 1/2 are oilfield workers and miscelleneous outsiders. Predominantly white (Caucasian) . Very few people of other races.

It's mostly a kind of ranching/cowboy/oilfield culture. There are lots of people who hunt and ride 4-wheelers. There are lots of big, lifted pickup trucks driving around town.

This might give the impression that people there would be mean to outsiders, but actually the opposite is true. I found people there to be very tolerant and not nosy or meddlesome in the least.

When I lived there I got the impression most of the people are religious, but any more information I couldn't say.

It's a small town culture in an area known for agriculture and oil, so it's a different culture than any of the Front Range towns. I personally found it to be very pleasant, as it's a peaceful town with little to no visible crime.

To answer your second question, Grand Junction is definitely a "blue collar" town with blue collar attitudes and values.
I absolutely agree with 80keys. My husband and I lived in Grand Junction from 2002-2008 and while we liked things about it, ultimately it wasn't a great fit for us. We lean pretty far to the left and are non-religious so we found it tough to fit in a make true friends. People were friendly, but not very open and inviting, in our experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado