U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That's the REAL Colorado history from back when, not the sanitized crap one reads in most history texts. If you're going to quote history, get it right. As for today, things are nowhere near as rough, but nor is Colorado some beautiful utopia for idealistic, but clueless teenagers to come to for fun and frolic.
You might want to do the same. Carson, who was born in '09, first came West as a teenager in the 1820s, not the 1880s and didn't live in a tent camp as you describe. He died in '68 and never even saw the '80s. Many who did arrive in the '80s didn't live in miners camps (including my CO ancestors). Not that it matters to the OP. I was just putting his idea into a historical context to illustrate that some folks overcame bigger challenges in making their dreams come true in a new place and they often did just fine.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might want to do the same. Carson, who was born in '09, first came West as a teenager in the 1820s, not the 1880s and didn't live in a tent camp as you describe. He died in '68 and never even saw the '80s. Many who did arrive in the '80s didn't live in miners camps (including my CO ancestors). Not that it matters to the OP. I was just putting his idea into a historical context to illustrate that some folks overcame bigger challenges in making their dreams come true in a new place and they often did just fine.
Of course, you failed to note that when Christopher "Kit" Carson came West, southern Colorado and New Mexico were not even yet part of the United States. I do know some of Carson's history, and not just from the history books. I know one of his direct descendants. Carson is one of the men that I would call exceptional in determination and abilities.

Not all people who came west to Colorado in the 1880's wound up in the mining camps. Wherever they wound up, though, for most of them it was not an easy life. We of today have been spoiled into thinking that one can move to a place like Colorado and have all the trappings of the "good life" without a lot of competition, sacrifice, or hardship. Several decades of largely "easy times," shored up by an explosion of public and private debt, has perpetrated the illusion. As I've posted before, that era is OVER. A lot of the "dreamers" on this forum are going to find that out the hard way.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,908,652 times
Quote:
We of today have been spoiled into thinking that one can move to a place like Colorado and have all the trappings of the "good life" without a lot of competition, sacrifice, or hardship. Several decades of largely "easy times," shored up by an explosion of public and private debt, has perpetrated the illusion. As I've posted before, that era is OVER. A lot of the "dreamers" on this forum are going to find that out the hard way.
Who says living in Colorado is harder than any other state? All things being equal, it may be more desirable to scratch out a living in Colorado, where there's less pollution, less traffic, less crime, and less people to contend with, than, say, New York or Philadelphia where it's a dog-eat-dog world and you can't escape the stress of being crowded and hemmed in by the urban jungle.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM

20,314 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Quote:
... We of today have been spoiled into thinking that one can move to a place like Colorado and have all the trappings of the "good life" without a lot of competition, sacrifice, or hardship. ...
Honestly, I think you're living in a fantasy world of some sort, there is no more "sacrifice, or hardship" to living here than anywhere else, especially in the I-25 corridor. Even up in the mountains doesn't require "sacrifice, or hardship" though one must accommodate the terrain and weather, which is true of ANY high-country / rural / remote areas in the nation. We aren't doing without anything and we have all the trappings of the good life here, as does anyone, anywhere, with a decent income.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Honestly, I think you're living in a fantasy world of some sort, there is no more "sacrifice, or hardship" to living here than anywhere else, especially in the I-25 corridor. Even up in the mountains doesn't require "sacrifice, or hardship" though one must accommodate the terrain and weather, which is true of ANY high-country / rural / remote areas in the nation. We aren't doing without anything and we have all the trappings of the good life here, as does anyone, anywhere, with a decent income.
Actually, it would probably be a much greater hardship for a kid in CO were he/she to try relocating to upstate NY. I'd venture to say the winters are harsher and the jobs much fewer. If anything, the OP will be going to a garden spot compared to where he's at now.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcorning View Post
okay so here's the deal, i know this sounds incredibly irresponsible but i don't really care. I'm a college dropout who just wants to go out on an and be able to get a job and an apartment somewhere far away from upstate new york where nobody knows me. many people have suggested Colorado, which sounds cool to me. i plan on leaving NY in august of this year and driving across the country to start my new life in Colorado. i have no idea how to go about doing this and i could really use some help of some kind. Thanks
I think it's ok, I knew people who made it at your age. i would choose a place where i know people if I was you, or somewhere you can sleep on the beach if you have nowhere to go for a couple of nights

good luck

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mike, I resent that comment. I live and work every day with the economic realities of Colorado. I'm not sitting on a fat pension from someplace else. I have a good career, but it took a lot of work and sacrifice to get where I am, and I could have made a much larger income had I chosen to live in another region of the country. I accept that reality--it's a tradeoff that I voluntarily made in order stay close to where I was born and raised, and where my lifelong friends are.

People like you think that because Colorado has been economically healthy for most of the last several decades--though a lot of we long-timers remember how awful things were for nearly a decade in the 1980's--that it's going to stay economically robust going forward. That's really a dangerous assumption to make in this country's current economic environment. For one, just take away all the federal government largess dumped in Colorado--your Colorado Springs being a prime example of a place addicted to sucking on the federal teat--and you would see the economy of Colorado head for depression so fast that your head would spin. People in this state who aren't planning for that eventuality are really foolish, in my opinion. Young people, like the OP here, with few marketable skills, no local connections, and no financial reserves will be the first ones fed to the wolves when Colorado finally settles back into economic reality. Of course, the whole country will be affected when that crash comes, but to assume that Colorado will escape unscathed is nonsensical. In fact, Colorado has many reasons to perform even more badly than the rest of the country with what is coming.

Unlike most posters on this forum, I'm a long-time student of economic geography. From that, I have a very realistic perspective of what happens when geography starts to "matter" again. That is where we are headed, and it doesn't bode well for Colorado economically.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM

10,548 posts, read 11,646,107 times
Quote:
I'm not sitting on a fat pension from someplace else.
I AM! Woo hoo!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
jazzlover wrote:
.....the first ones fed to the wolves when Colorado finally settles back into economic reality. Of course, the whole country will be affected when that crash comes, but to assume that Colorado will escape unscathed is nonsensical.
You've always been one of my favorite posters on c-d. I enjoy reading what you have to say. Apparently what separates you from most of us posting on the Colorado forum is that you are utterly convinced that an economic crash is inevitable. I think the rest of us recognize the POSSIBILITY of such an event, but we also recognize that it is not written in stone. It may indeed come about as you envision, but then again it may not. I think you are over focused on NEGATIVITY in general. Personally, I don't think the crash that you assume will take place is going to ocurr. But, like everyone else ( including yourself! ) I'll have to wait and see what plays out.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
CAVA1990 wrote:
Actually, it would probably be a much greater hardship for a kid in CO were he/she to try relocating to upstate NY. I'd venture to say the winters are harsher and the jobs much fewer. If anything, the OP will be going to a garden spot compared to where he's at now.
Absolutely! Although I haven't lived in upstate NY, I did spend a month in Potsdam-NY from mid January to mid February back in the mid 70s. During the time I was there, it was significanlty colder & snowier than any of the 7 or 8 winters I've spent in Colorado, and the daylight hours were noticably shorter than they are in Colorado. Relatively speaking, much of Colorado is indeed a veritable garden spot compared to upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado