Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 AM

84 posts, read 317,216 times

Advertisements

hey guys.... Heading to WC on Friday.... Flight lands at 10:30am...

Not sure if we will stay in South Fork or Pagosa ...

What would be the fastest/best route to arrive alive

Thanks in advance

NNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 AM

33 posts, read 55,488 times
Can you fly in to Albuquerque? Probably closer, and I think you can avoid all mountain passes by driving Albuquerque > Santa Fe > Alamosa > South Fork > WC.

From Denver, maybe south to Walsenburg on I25, then west to Alamosa. However you would have to cross La Veta pass which is over 9000 ft. Unless there is more snow forecast, I wouldn't think this should be a problem.

Hopefully someone more "qualified" will respond.

Also if you stay in Pagosa Springs, you're drive could be a lot more treacherous (because you'll have to cross WC pass each day) than if you stay in South Fork.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outflowboundary View Post
Can you fly in to Albuquerque? Probably closer, and I think you can avoid all mountain passes by driving Albuquerque > Santa Fe > Alamosa > South Fork > WC.

From Denver, maybe south to Walsenburg on I25, then west to Alamosa. However you would have to cross La Veta pass which is over 9000 ft. Unless there is more snow forecast, I wouldn't think this should be a problem.

Hopefully someone more "qualified" will respond.

Also if you stay in Pagosa Springs, you're drive could be a lot more treacherous (because you'll have to cross WC pass each day) than if you stay in South Fork.
Unfortunately flights were booked a while back - was hoping for more snow along I-70 but it looks thin... So we are going to do Wolf for 2 days (sat/Sun) then head up to vail/beav for a few laps on the way back to DEN (monday/Tue)...

We may stay in South fork.. Just figured more forum people would know Pagosa and chime in....

Weather looks clear for next 7 days so not too concerned about driving across the pass....

But I cant tell from mapquest which way is fastest from airport... I-25 to 160 or thru the mountains ....

Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Have you driven it before? It can be scary. I would think you would stay in Pagosa.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
is there anything available at the ski lodge? I would stay there if I had a chance so I would have to drive the 160 from wolf to Pagosa everyday.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Have you driven it before? It can be scary. I would think you would stay in Pagosa.
I have not - but have driven 550 around to telluride - if its like that I think we will bring some extra underwear

We are only there to ski - so apres isnt important - may just stay South Fork to avoid that run...

We can apres in Vail our last 2 days

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,025 times
Hurry up and book your hotel room if you are staying in South Fork. There is only really one hotel (Allington Inn http://www.allingtoninn.com/southfork/). Lots of cabins but the affordable ones are usually all rented far in advance.

If the weather is good, your scenic route from DIA would be to take 285 south all the way to Center (past Saguache) and turn west onto hwy 160 to Del Norte and then on to South Fork.

Taking I-25 is not really quicker. We haved timed it both ways and it is about the same.

Have fun!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Hurry up and book your hotel room if you are staying in South Fork. There is only really one hotel (Allington Inn South Fork Colorado Hotel Lodging - Allington Inn and Suites - South Fork Co Hotels). Lots of cabins but the affordable ones are usually all rented far in advance.

If the weather is good, your scenic route from DIA would be to take 285 south all the way to Center (past Saguache) and turn west onto hwy 160 to Del Norte and then on to South Fork.

Taking I-25 is not really quicker. We haved timed it both ways and it is about the same.

Have fun!
I agree, 285 would be the most scenic route and it's about the same time wise. Plus, it will allow to see a part of Colorado that most people don't see. You might also want to stop at some of the many hot springs along the way.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 10,188 times
I would go 285, we have done that drive a lot and unless it's real windy it will be fine, if the wind is blowing the area around fairplay and south park can be tough. if the roads are dry you will be in Pagosa 5 hours or less after getting on 285 from 470.
DO NOT Speed between Johnson Village and Poncha Springs, even on to Center where you turn West at the blinking light you want to be very carefull about not getting a ticket.
Great timing for the trip, we got a ton of snow.
I'm partal to Pagosa but then again I live here. We have the hot Springs and more things to do. Call the Sky View Hotel, very cheap, new owners and manager 970-264-5803 older rooms but close in and cheap.
Have fun!!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone...

Mike...... What would be the "nicest" hotel in Pagosa ? The Springs ?

South Fork while closer - looks a bit on the boring side - I need some apres :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado