U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Hello all! A few friends and myself are in the planning stages of moving west to start a little commune. I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to where to look for a house and land. We're all fresh out of college, and are mostly interested in renting (at least for now). We're all big fans of the culture that Denver and Boulder have to offer, but are looking to move away from the metro scene. Albeit, a couple of us will still be looking for at least part time work, so we may not be able to venture extremely far from the city. Any information would be a huge help!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by cnbries; 01-07-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Hopefully, you have rich parents willing to part with a chunk of their wealth to let you play with your little dream. That's what it takes--money, and quite a bit of it. It ain't the '60's, anymore. Of course, the communes back then didn't last, either. Dumb idealism crashed into hard reality.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM

319 posts, read 620,483 times
cnbries, can you say a bit more about your vision? What is the "culture" that you wish to emulate? Do you want to grow your own food? Keep animals? Are you staunch environmentalists who want to use public transportation as much as possible or be in close proximity to walking/biking paths? Or, do you basically want to live co-operatively, share a group home and have easy access to Whole Foods Market, yoga classes, music, nightlife, coffee shops, etc.? Also, what do you mean when you say you don't want to venture "extremely far from the city?"

If you tell us a bit more, we can offer better suggestions to you and your friends. Hard to say whether you are candidates for Nederland, Lyons, Morrison, or certain parts of Boulder/Denver...?

Some of us here would love to support you with your dream -- if you can help us understand what that dream truly is.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM

345 posts, read 758,825 times
Here you go $2500 a month not including ultilites, so there will be lots of working to pay for it not just a couple of you part time, plus my friend who told me about it says it is in poor condition:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/apa/2785396346.html

I live on acreage, you need to research a bit more. You and your friends will all need to work to pay for it, rent or own.

The growing season here is short and it takes work and water in order to grow anything aside from weeds. Forget to water one day in the Summer while it is still young growth and you lost all your work since the Sun will have burned it by the next day.

If you have livestock you will need good fencing, have to buy hay 6 months min out of the year for them and the prices are nuts now due to the Texas drought. Not to mention that due to a shortage of corn and the economy feed prices have risen as well.

It sounds like you guys want to do some work on the land and very few of you work outside. It is not that cheap to live here so chances are there is going to be more outside work in order to make it. Land and houses even due to the poor economy are not as cheap as other parts of the country. If you plan on being near Boulder the cost rises.
Like I said you need to do more research and look into more then one state. Here I cannot get as much house or land as I could in MO, AK, KY and etc. with lower taxes as well. Plus things grow there and far easier.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,464,272 times
Look around Lyons and Berthoud.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,524,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
idealism crashed into hard reality.
Yes, not in small part the reality that there are always some who will not carry their share of the load.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,524,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Here I cannot get as much house or land as I could in MO, AK, KY and etc. with lower taxes as well. Plus things grow there and far easier.
Georgia and Alabama have good farm land with water resources at somewhat approachable prices. Huntsville may likely have jobs for bright young people fresh out of college.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
jazzlover wrote:
Hopefully, you have rich parents willing to part with a chunk of their wealth to let you play with your little dream.
That would make it alot easier!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 PM

76 posts, read 155,917 times
Thumbs up Commune living in CO

I first want to wish you well. I've always been interested in alternative lifestyles. On an individual basis I've been living one for a bit over 20 years. But this has been on an individual basis, not a commune. When I've tried group living one or more persons will find a reason not to pay his/her part. Then the prescient has been set and others follow. Unless some are willing to carry the group it will fall apart.

What the fellow said about money is true. Things have to be paid for. I read that the Heavens Gate group had one well off person who basically carried the rest. But remember what happened to them ultimately. This should serve as a forewarning about cult like groups.

The good news is that if you are willing to get everyone, or enough people, on board group living can be cheap. The Shakers of the 19th century managed it even if the 60s people did not. Remember that the Shakers were willing to work. Check out some books about communal living. I read a book a few years ago about a commune in Virginia called Twin Oaks, I think. It was planned on the ideas of B.F. Skinner. They did require everyone to work and bring in some money.

The Colorado area is beautiful but remember it is cold in winter. I am not sure what job prospects are in the areas of CO you are considering or what the job skills of those in your group are. Most college graduates bounce around for a number of years until they find the right combination of what they are good at and what they like enough.

I hope your project works out even if it is for just a while. You will have some good memories.

Best Wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or