U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,341 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I are looking to start over in Colorado. I was born in Denver, but left before I was 3. When I was 20 I made my way back out on $50 and lived in Pagosa Springs with friends, but a serious illness made me return to the east coast. Well somehow I ended up in Philadelphia, yuck. We are looking to enter a smallish community (and community is the key word). My wife is a yoga instructor and I am an independent recording artist and a sort of jack of all trades per se. We are not looking to buy a home right away, we are looking to rent. We are not looking to get rich, we are looking for a gentler way of life. We enjoy the outdoors and are active in many outdoor pursuits. Now my question...Can anyone suggest somewhere that would meet our criteria? I'm not looking to move to Boulder, i'm not into that spectical. Somewhere off the beaten path, but at the same time close to some ammenties and of course some work. Is Ouray a decent place? Are there jobs to be had? Ridgeway is another town that has been suggested to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM

24 posts, read 127,354 times
Take a gander at Manitou Springs just west of COlorado Springs. I think it may fit your bill.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,341 times
I appreciate that, that does look like it would fit the bill nicely. Do you live there or in the area? What sort of jobs are available? My wife and I have also worked in the service industry, does this area see alot of tourists? It sure is beautiful.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,745,958 times
I think that Cañon City might fit your bill.

Off the beaten path (so to speak), a community that supports the arts (look at their chamber of commerce site), she may be able to work at a yoga studio (some baby boomers are starting to move in) but the real estate (from rentals to actually purchasing property) are good.

It's only 35-45 minutes to C Springs, 25 or so minutes from Pueblo and very close to all kinds of recreation.

Small town feel with around 47,000 people in the community.

For your convenience they do have a Wal*Mart and Home Depot. Etc...

I only know all this because I am looking to live there along with having done a website for a major development there and will be doing a website for my father and partners for a smaller development.

The majority of people that live there work for the state and federal corrections systems but the place feels rural while actually having a nice community presence.

Who knows, if you check it out and like it and move there, we might be "nieghbors".

Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,745,958 times
I forgot to add, I live in Colorado Springs (and have for 33 of my 38 years) and Manitou is a nice town but it's not very small as you barely even know you are in Manitou when you drive west on Colorado from C Springs into Manitou. At least I don't.

That's why I thought Cañon City might be more along your lines. You are still close enough (with a beautiful drive) to C Springs for more of a big town feel and it's still easy to get to Denver for more serious cultural activites.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 AM

45 posts, read 317,715 times
You asked about Ouray. If you have been there, you know it's absolutley beautiful. I am a yoga instructor as well, working in the Longmont area. When we were their last (late July) Ouary has a yoga studio - I think the population is a little shy of truely supporting the facility (it had just opened it's doors a month earlier). ~1000-1200 year round residents. It doubles in the summer time. But, Telluride, also has an Iyengar center. I didn't notice anything in Ridgeway. Ridgeway is quite a bit cheaper to afford to live in and is 15 min. from Ouray. If you live in the mountains, musical outlets are going to be festivals, etc. Lots of service jobs in OUray & Telluride, but it's very tourist based...so having an outside (internet-based) income would be helpful as a cushion. Yoga is absolutley booming in the front range, so getting hired-on somewhere probably won't be a problem. But, it doesn't pay the bills.

Hope this helped.

Concoulor3

Old 09-13-2006, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 127,354 times
COFlower brings up a good point but to be honest I know several people who make a living with alternative medicine in Colo Spgs/Manitou. And it's because you have a broader range of clientele. You can live in Manitou and enjoy it's lifestyle but have access to over 500k potential clients.

In Canon City you only have access to 10% of that. Plus for myself (30yr old Father) and my family I find Manitou and Colo Spgs by proxy offer alot more of activities for the children and myself.

just my two cents.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:34 AM

61 posts, read 347,518 times
Yeah Maintou Springs would be fun and have access to Colorado Springs population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or