Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM

236 posts, read 477,261 times

Advertisements

this should be called "Wash DC to Colorado Rocky Mtn High, on the fly"

It's been pretty much rain and muck grey until I exited St Louis (not to mention mostly night too) Looks like a nice day tomorrow though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
Default If you arrive in Denver

If you arrive in Denver you may want to go to the National Western Stock Show. Here is a link to the schedule.
Schedule of Events - National Western Stock Show

There is also the Colorado Indian Mart. I love this art show (it is huge) and it has really great things at all price levels. Might make a good place to buy a souvenir.
New Document

Have fun!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post

there are definitely some wide open spaces out this way

wide open all the way until you hit the Front Range of Colorado looming like a massive wall on the Great Plains.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 PM

Currently in Boulder having a coffee at Barnes & Noble (like I need it!) I arrived at the state line on 70W right at about sunset... I have never seen a sunset so red it was brighter and darker than people brake lights! I did not get to see any mountains on the way in because it was dark when I crested the hill coming into Denver. Now Denver is something special and at first sight I realized I was looking down at the city (what a sight!) Everyone here in Boulder has been very helpful and to tell you the truth since I got out of West Virginia everyone has been sincerely nice, something we do not get much of on the east coast Wash DC and surrounding suburbs.

We obviously have an immigration problem in my home area also, something I did not notice my whole trip from about Winchester VA. I don't mind it I am just saying I find it odd not having to talk like baby talk to communicate to everyone because well everyone speaks english fluently (seemingly) in the rest of the country!

Between Topeka KS and Saline on 70W was an experience I have not seen my whole way through the 1700+ miles. There must be something going on in that area? in that strip I counted 5 cars pulled over! it was like a shooting gallery for the police... It was quite insulting to be honest and I will be writing a letter when I get home. There were speed traps and I was on cruise control when a cruiser pulled up behind me and followed me for around 3 miles, I backed down to 70mph and he got up beside me for a minute and then decided to turn around in a non turn around right on the grass and go back the other way. I am touring my country and patronizing as many little shops as I can cutting out the big corporate guys and that was my thank you from Kansas. Know this guys, I don't even drink! and I am a taxpaying American... I don't even want to go back through that strip because like I said it was insulting.

I guess those counties are hard pressed to have that many police cruisers and mostly sitting in pairs picking off people that were not even speeding. Kansas on the otherhand was very nice, I thought I would not like the Great Plains but I enjoyed it.

I a going to find a place to hunker down for the evening, some people have told me the mountains are "right there" but I can't see anything but blackness on a level I'm not used to (we have alot of light pollution east coast) I guess I will get a surprise when I wake up in the morning because they are obviously looming in the back drop... I may make my way to estes park after I do a little hotel research.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 PM

352 posts, read 793,961 times
The Eastlings have landed.

Welcome to Colorful Colorado.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Estes Park from Boulder

As in Boulder, the mountains are 'right there,' and you'll have a fine view come morning. From town there are any number of places with a good up close and personal view of the Flatirons (such as possibly a walk about the University of Colorado campus). At a slightly removed vantage to the east, even no farther than 28th Street (the veranda of the mall being one place, at Canyon Blvd and 28th St), one can have a bit more of a panoramic view of the mountains, and some of the higher snow-capped peaks to the west.

A really fine view is afforded when dropping down into Boulder on US 36. If willing to backtrack no farther than Louisville and then turn back towards Boulder on US 36, a great panoramic view of Boulder spread out below as one descends the hill, with the line of mountains serving as backdrop behind. There is also, at the top of that first hill, on the north side of the road, a small rest stop which serves as a good place for photographs.

As far as mountains and scenery are concerned, Estes Park will not disappoint. Not only gorgeous there, but a lovely drive from Boulder as well. The drive is only a little over an hour via Lyons on US 36.

Due the incoming storm, conditions and times can be more variable. A really lovely drive is due west from Boulder to Nederland, with some great scenery in the canyon. And then in driving north from Nederland on the Peak to Peak road to Estes Park, a good view to the left of the higher front range mountains. Once near Allenspark one is near the southeast corner of Rocky Mountain National Park, with the road closely paralleling along its eastern boundary, and even skirting briefly within, all the way to Estes Park.

There is currently a high wind warning in effect, extending until likely at least midday Thursday. Estes Park can receive a good deal of wind at times in the winter, although variable in intensity throughout the community given its mountainous, irregular topography. Within town it may be blustery, but otherwise passable. However it is not advisable to drive the Peak to Peak road during high wind conditions, which may also include driven snow, and if taking that route one can see some large trees which were entirely uprooted earlier this autumn during some high winds. If the winds are strong, the preferable route would be Estes Park via Lyons. Or just waiting for another day.

Boulder alone could easily entertain one for a day.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

My recommendation is this:

1. Spend a day or two at lower elevation near Denver or CO Springs.
2. Drink plenty of water. The air is thin and dry and every breath you take in Colorado takes moisture right out of your lungs.
3. At night open a window a tiny, tiny crack to let air circulate. Because of the thin air a lot of flatlanders when sleeping will constantly gasp and snore trying to keep up. I find a lot of buildings in CO are so well insulated from the cold they don't "breathe" well, so air gets stale. A little crack in the window will let some fresh air circulate at night.
4. Don't over exert yourself. By that I mean if your heart starts pounding, stop and let it catch up and have a rest for a minute.
This.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

God bless America!

do I have words to explain what I seen before me when I woke, hardly but it could nearly inspire a book. The blackness that I was looking at last night was the mountains! I have never seen anything like this in my life and a movie just does not embody the same perspective as being here... these mountains are intimidating for sure. I have been all over RMNP as much as the roads allow and trail ridge is open for a little distance. The funny thing is when you pass a certain point there are blizzard type conditions but the roads are passable. I am glad I got the 4X4 that's for certain...

I have a few good pictures so far but it is really grey and the mountains are shrouded when you get to that certain point... I totally forgot to buy boots and I left my junky ones at home, I am going to run back down to town, hopefully not all the way back into Boulder but I do have a nice sum on a Sears gift card which will land me a nice pair. I am going to walk to Bear Lake later and most likely either carrying Laika or maybe leave her in the car because the snow is deep for her there. I may find a nice pair down in Estes Park so I will shop around there first as long as it is not too pricey I will get a set off the locals.

totally loving this place, I can't believe I finally got here... This road trip to the Rockies predates the internet for me and that goes back to early to mid 90's !

Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
This.
thanks Alfa... I am feeling it, I believe it started in Limon (sort of a pinch between the eyes) I just went in to get some food at Safeway and I do feel a bit dizzy. Going up and down the hills in the park I almost lost perspective if I was going up or down (not what you think) it's just those mountains don't move like everything else in ones view does.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
There is currently a high wind warning in effect, extending until likely at least midday Thursday. Estes Park can receive a good deal of wind at times in the winter, although variable in intensity throughout the community given its mountainous, irregular topography. Within town it may be blustery, but otherwise passable. However it is not advisable to drive the Peak to Peak road during high wind conditions, which may also include driven snow, and if taking that route one can see some large trees which were entirely uprooted earlier this autumn during some high winds. If the winds are strong, the preferable route would be Estes Park via Lyons. Or just waiting for another day.

Boulder alone could easily entertain one for a day.
it is very windy up high on the mountain roads... It will blow one down the side of the hill if your not careful, I got a thrill out of watching my small dog fight it though. The ranger said gusts upto nearly 100mph.

I may venture down RT7 out of Estes tomorrow sometime, I think I will find another place to hunker down for the evening even though I did get fairly good sleep last night. Currently I am thinking about my best bet (for views) to work my way out of Estes toward Colorado Springs tomorrow. There is plenty to see here but the hotels are rather pricey because they are mostly resort style. I would also like to get a view of Denver/Boulder from that ridge line I was looking up at when I woke. Any suggestions would be appreciated because looking at the maps and even google earth does not tell you what you can see from that road... mainly because google earth only gives you street level views from main roads.

thanks for all the pointers, I am glad I have you guys here guiding me along...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado