U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM

236 posts, read 396,568 times

Advertisements

the nice camera when home with the ex, we broke up in St Louis and I sent her home on a plane so I am going it alone with my dog. I did buy a Fugi T190 which appears to be doing fine. It took to the 3rd place I looked before I could find anything with a semi decent zoom.

You know they say a road trip is a true test, I got the 3rd degree for a shower knobs that were stripped on the east side of St Louis, even though the clerk gave us another room to use the next morning it obviously pushed someones buttons to a point where the comment "maybe we should just go home" slipped out... That in turn pushed my button and I said I will fly you home, which I did. It has only been since August we've known eachother.

Honestly this means so much to me I would rather go it alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,840,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
it is very windy up high on the mountain roads... . . .
A warning - it's very windy in many areas now, not just high on mountain roads.

In Boulder, for example, Boulder weather: High wind warning continues in effect

Quote:
A high wind warning continues in effect Thursday morning, with gusts as high as 75 miles per hour possible in the Boulder area, the National Weather Service said.

The forecast calls for a high today near 61 degrees under partly sunny skies. Winds between 46 and 49 miles per hour should decrease to around 20 miles per hour later in the day, but strong gusts remain possible.

Thursday morning, dispatchers were reporting downed trees and light poles around Boulder. Winds reached 92 miles per hour Wednesday night.
The forecast from the national weather service says:
Quote:
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL COLORADO. .DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT A STRONG NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT WILL CONTINUE OVER COLORADO. THE WINDS AND MOUNTAIN AND SNOW HAVE DECREASED THIS MORNING. HOWEVER...THE STRONG DOWNSLOPE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE AGAIN TONIGHT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 70 MPH POSSIBLE OVER THE MOUNTAIN PASSES AND EXPOSED FRONT RANGE FOOTHILL LOCATIONS.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,956,920 times
Quote:

I have a few good pictures so far but it is really grey and the mountains are shrouded when you get to that certain point... I totally forgot to buy boots and I left my junky ones at home, I am going to run back down to town, hopefully not all the way back into Boulder but I do have a nice sum on a Sears gift card which will land me a nice pair. I am going to walk to Bear Lake later and most likely either carrying Laika or maybe leave her in the car because the snow is deep for her there.
In addition to boots, buy a pair of YakTrax in case you encounter icy spots on your hike.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:56 PM

20,387 posts, read 37,959,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
A warning - it's very windy in many areas now, not just high on mountain roads.....
Funny in a way, we have hurricane-force winds, but without the tidal surges and rain.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,430,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Funny in a way, we have hurricane-force winds, but without the tidal surges and rain.....
This is true. Last night when I wen to bed all I heard was the wind outside. I am not sure how strong the gusts were but they were strong. Also, I have seen hurricane force wind with snow, that is always fun....

Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

50 posts, read 114,565 times
Quote:
the nice camera when home with the ex, we broke up in St Louis and I sent her home on a plane so I am going it alone with my dog. I did buy a Fugi T190 which appears to be doing fine. It took to the 3rd place I looked before I could find anything with a semi decent zoom.

You know they say a road trip is a true test, I got the 3rd degree for a shower knobs that were stripped on the east side of St Louis, even though the clerk gave us another room to use the next morning it obviously pushed someones buttons to a point where the comment "maybe we should just go home" slipped out... That in turn pushed my button and I said I will fly you home, which I did. It has only been since August we've known eachother.

Honestly this means so much to me I would rather go it alone...

I have made many a lengthy solo trip in the Rockies but never in winter. So be extra careful and respectful of the power which those mountains possess. On the other hand, you will now be able to experience the full spiritual effect of solitude in the Rocky Mountain West.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,455,672 times
Quote:
I may venture down RT7 out of Estes tomorrow sometime, I think I will find another place to hunker down for the evening even though I did get fairly good sleep last night. Currently I am thinking about my best bet (for views) to work my way out of Estes toward Colorado Springs tomorrow. There is plenty to see here but the hotels are rather pricey because they are mostly resort style. I would also like to get a view of Denver/Boulder from that ridge line I was looking up at when I woke. Any suggestions would be appreciated because looking at the maps and even google earth does not tell you what you can see from that road... mainly because google earth only gives you street level views from main roads.

thanks for all the pointers, I am glad I have you guys here guiding me along...
As someone from back home for you I am totally enjoying reading your reactions as I know what it's like from our visits out there. If you haven't thought about it, try to visit Red Rocks just outside Denver, Red Rocks Entertainment Concerts you can drive up and see the most incredible outdoors amphitheater. It puts Wolftrap to shame.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM

236 posts, read 396,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
As someone from back home for you I am totally enjoying reading your reactions as I know what it's like from our visits out there. If you haven't thought about it, try to visit Red Rocks just outside Denver, Red Rocks Entertainment Concerts you can drive up and see the most incredible outdoors amphitheater. It puts Wolftrap to shame.
I was thinking about that when on RT7 heading into Lyons... I seen a few patches of red rock and it instantly reminded me to visit. I went through a canyon and I took like 50 pictures lol, I found it interesting the change from RMNP to Wild Basin then into Lyons. I love it here in this region so much I am having curiosity about the cost of renting

I have alot to see and I do want to head down south to Co Springs and Pikes Peak probably tomorrow.

I've seen YES and the Allman Brothers so many times at Wolftrap and Merry Weather Post but I have only seen one recorded concert at Red Rocks and that was U2. I will surely see it before I leave from the Denver area...

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM

20,387 posts, read 37,959,587 times
Quote:
...I have only seen one recorded concert at Red Rocks and that was U2. ...
Same here, I've the old 12-inch laserdisc of the Moody Blues at Red Rocks, a really great disc.

As far as attending a show there, I'll probably go, maybe once. I see the pix of rock seats, which will be painful to sit on, and I'm told that most people just stand the whole time, which will make my back ache rather badly. Staying home and watching something on Pay Per View would suit me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,864,128 times
Wink Estes Park & beyond

This may be academic by now, but there are a number of good choices for lodging in Estes Park. The Stanley Hotel is of course preeminent, but comparatively also such places as Marys Lake Lodge. However the area mostly populated with only average motels, some certainly with better locations than others. In time and looking something, even a cabin, could be found which would be quite nice. Although in general better quality in accommodations at lower prices can be had just out of the mountains along the front range. But January one of the best times in Estes Park for more reasonable prices and selection. Also in finding the town more somnolent, somewhat empty, and more like a non-tourist town its size would be.

Bear Lake is only a very short walk beyond the parking lot, and even in winter is visited by a fair number of tourists. So unless it has recently snowed the trail there is probably well packed snow and easy enough to walk on, if perhaps slick in a few places. Fine for a dog to enjoy as well, although technically likely even there not allowed, as basically not on any hiking trail. In any event, it is well worth the longer drive, but very short walk. A very beautiful spot and vantage, which can only be guessed at from the parking area.

Another area to consider in RMNP is the far end of Moraine Valley. This time of year the road which turns from pavement to dirt is closed short of the actual trailhead to hiking paths well up into the mountains. But that may actually be preferable. Because dogs are allowed along roads. And thus a lovely walk from the parking area where the road closed for the season, for about maybe half a mile to the trailhead. Despite our general lack of snow, one will probably still be walking on a good deal of it already packed down by others. A lovely walk.

As for relationships, sometimes dogs really are man's best friend. The upside to being more nearly alone is the freedom to skip about as one likes.

In driving to Colorado Springs a lovely route would be due south from Estes Park on CO 7 on the Peak to Peak road. If as possible the winds have dissipated by then, no problem in traversing such a route. Scenic and quite interesting. In a grand total of three different road designations, this road more or less due south will take one to merge at last with I-70, not far east of Idaho Springs. From there it would be simpler and more expedient to turn east to Denver, and then skirt it on 470 to take this shortcut to intersect I-25 on south to Colorado Springs.

This would also afford the opportunity to possibly visit Red Rocks Amphitheater near Morrison. In the summer it is a great venue for outdoor concerts. No idea on how access is in winter, and possibly closed to the extent of allowing no close examination.

But before then, along the Peak to Peak road, it is worth taking a very short detour at Blackhawk in turning right to drive up the hill and visit Central City. Both these old mining towns are now Colorado-style gambling meccas. But whereas Blackhawk is now barely discernible as what it once was, Central City still remains largely as the small well-built town with loads of historical charm it has been since inception.

From Central City it is possible to drive through town to take the relatively new high bypass over to I-70. Which is fine, and preferable if one wishing to be elsewhere. But as a tourist it might may be preferable to continue south of Blackhawk to Clear Creek. Then taking the fork in the road right at the stoplight, to travel briefly upriver through that beautiful canyon, and then intersect I-70.

Once in Colorado Springs, perhaps take the time to drive to its far western side, and just beyond the perfectly eclectic small town of Manitou Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or