Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM

236 posts, read 477,790 times

Advertisements

Hello Colorado,

I have 2.5 weeks coming up on the 15th and I plan on seeing the Rockies... I am driving there leaving on RT.50 westbound and I have no clue as to a destination in Colorado. I want to see mountains (the 14ers) and I do not ski though. This is just a trip I have been waiting seemingly all my life to be able to do and now finally I am at that point and I have no idea where I am going or should set as a destination. I have even printed a map of the state and closed my eyes then pointed my finger to a spot on the map and it keeps coming up at the NW top of your state.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, my girlfriend and I will be traveling together with my small Jack Russell Terrier. We have many air miles saved and we are using those for the rental car, I want to see the nation and I have hardly been anywhere except my local surrounding states. I only rented a 2 wheel drive RAV4 until I get to Colorado then I think I may have to switch to a 4X4.

it's Pueblo or Denver I am struggling with as an arrival destination, I am going to drive like 14hrs the first day so I will have plenty of time to explore the state once I am there.

Thank Guys for any suggestions or tips...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 AM

50,272 posts, read 23,893,601 times
Why would you make Pueblo your destination?

And are you sure you want to drive in the Rockies in the middle of the winter?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
If seeing Colorado is your goal here, I would see a lot more than Pueblo and/or Denver, as neither is "Rocky Mountain High". You may be quite disappointed if you drive all the way here if your final destination is Pueblo (no offense Pueblans, I do like your town ).

Just about anywhere west of I-25 would be worth seeing landscape-wise though. If it wasn't winter, I'd recommend heading to RMNP, which is worth seeing if it is accessible enough (I haven't been during winter).

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

352 posts, read 794,826 times
If your "digital divination tool" (finger) keeps alighting on the NW part of the map, maybe you could head toward Steamboat Springs. (Personally, I prefer the "real" (old) town, not the "ski" town area.) You'll travel through amazing scenery and you can slip into some hot springs water to de-stress your shoulders and arms from all that driving! Just be sure to stay very (very!) alert to weather in the eastern plains as well as the mountains, travel with some basic emergency supplies (food, water, blanket, etc...) and make sure your pup stays hydrated (as well as you humans, too).

The Colorado Dept of Transportation Road Conditions site is a resource worth traveling with. Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation.

Have Fun! I am a DC native and can remember the first time I drove to Colorado back in the 1970s and got my first glimpse of the Front Range. My East Coast eyes nearly popped out of my head! Now I don't consider anyplace but Colorado to truly be "home."

Take your time, but when it comes to winter driving, don't take any chances. Mother Nature still reigns out here!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why would you make Pueblo your destination?
because RT.50 runs into it, or old rt.50.

Quote:
And are you sure you want to drive in the Rockies in the middle of the winter?
it is the only time I have, this came suddenly and I have to go with it. I have done plenty of four wheeling and I already own chains and straps which will surely be in the boot of the rental.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If seeing Colorado is your goal here, I would see a lot more than Pueblo and/or Denver, as neither is "Rocky Mountain High". You may be quite disappointed if you drive all the way here if your final destination is Pueblo (no offense Pueblans, I do like your town ).
I am planning on covering some ground in the state, starting off to the north or south was what I was planning on but then again I just don't know how things are in that state.

Quote:
Just about anywhere west of I-25 would be worth seeing landscape-wise though. If it wasn't winter, I'd recommend heading to RMNP, which is worth seeing if it is accessible enough (I haven't been during winter).
ok so I have to go further west... I will find out what RMNP is and check it out on google earth.

Last edited by Count David; 01-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
If your "digital divination tool" (finger) keeps alighting on the NW part of the map, maybe you could head toward Steamboat Springs. (Personally, I prefer the "real" (old) town, not the "ski" town area.) You'll travel through amazing scenery and you can slip into some hot springs water to de-stress your shoulders and arms from all that driving! Just be sure to stay very (very!) alert to weather in the eastern plains as well as the mountains, travel with some basic emergency supplies (food, water, blanket, etc...) and make sure your pup stays hydrated (as well as you humans, too).

The Colorado Dept of Transportation Road Conditions site is a resource worth traveling with. Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation.

Have Fun! I am a DC native and can remember the first time I drove to Colorado back in the 1970s and got my first glimpse of the Front Range. My East Coast eyes nearly popped out of my head! Now I don't consider anyplace but Colorado to truly be "home."

Take your time, but when it comes to winter driving, don't take any chances. Mother Nature still reigns out here!
Much appreciated... I know its not spring and all but I am a working man so it's hard to explain kinda, I may not have this opportunity come spring. I will research Steamboat Springs also, this sounds like a plan.

Sometimes I figure this is exactly the way it should be... going looking for high adventure with the threat of the unknown... sometimes when everything is planned and you have a room waiting things just don't have that magic of exploration.

Thanks for all the ideas, I do plan on covering as much ground as I can and I would like to get some altitude as much as I can too or as high up as I can take a car. I think I do have a lack of understanding of the mountain range out that way though, see Blue Ridge Mtns are actually dissected plateau and it is one narrow range that you go over like a long narrow hill cutting thru my state. One can only get a vehicle to around 2100 foot if I recall and the range does not go over 3300ft. I guess I could learn how to ski I just never done it lol...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM

RMNP is Rocky Mountain National Park. Estes Park is the nearest town on the eastern side. RMNP includes Trail Ridge Road, the highest contiguous paved road in the nation. It's closed for the season, however. The road, that is. Not the entire Park...

Last edited by bovinedivine; 01-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
RMNP is Rocky Mountain National Park. Estes Park is the nearest town on the eastern side. RMNP includes Trail Ridge Road, the highest contiguous paved road in the nation. It's closed for the season, however.
ahh! thanks for that info... I am glad already I am getting feedback. Monday is coming on fast and I do know its a bad time... I have to see it though.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Hah! Check out this event in Breckenridge in late January. I doubt you'll experience such a thing in the Blue Ridge Mtns!

International Snow Sculpture Championships | Breckenridge Resort Chamber | Breckenridge Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado