Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 AM

236 posts, read 479,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Recall the tragedy in Oregon a few years ago ...

The recreational maps provided by GTR Mapping (GTR Mapping: Topographic, Recreational and Geologic Maps) indicate the winter closure dates for highways. GTR maps are the best general purpose road maps.
thanks... I will be getting as much detailed maps of the areas I explore when I get to specific areas, I also already own a rather nice compass. I am not going to rely on GPS but more so from the direct phone numbers I have from the parks and also from CDOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM

352 posts, read 797,549 times
Awwww, you guys are going to have such a great time! You are clearly thoughtful, smart, and safe travelers. Be forewarned, though: You might never want to leave...

Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Recall the tragedy in Oregon a few years ago ...

The recreational maps provided by GTR Mapping (GTR Mapping: Topographic, Recreational and Geologic Maps) indicate the winter closure dates for highways. GTR maps are the best general purpose road maps.
That's good to know. Do those maps show impromptu closures for snow, which is I think what happened on my daughter's trip?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Awwww, you guys are going to have such a great time! You are clearly thoughtful, smart, and safe travelers. Be forewarned, though: You might never want to leave...
I have been thinking the same thing while reading this. Anyone want to start a pool on when the OP is going to post his "I want to move to Colorado" thread?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM

50 posts, read 141,494 times
[SIZE=3]Unless the weather “gods” are particularly favorable to your cause, plan on exercising extraordinary flexibility in revising your itinerary on the fly during this time of year. Should conditions prove unusually favorable, however, two must-see destinations are the Maroon Bells near Aspen (see [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://mycolorado.org/landscapes/elks/content/f_bells_best_large.html[/SIZE][SIZE=3] ) and the full, 236-mile length of the San Juan Skyway which encompasses Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Ridgway, Placerville, Telluride and Cortez.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In the Colorado Springs area, you could visit the Garden of the Gods ([/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1[/SIZE][SIZE=3] ) and Pikes Peak. The Cog Railway usually does not take you all the way to the 14,110-foot summit of Pikes Peak but it definitely runs this time of the year (see [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://cograilway.com/ratestimes%20Winter%202012.htm[/SIZE][SIZE=3] ). Give yourselves time to acclimate to Colorado’s altitude before going this high; driving all the way from DC to Colorado and tackling the Cog Railway on the second day out there is asking for an unpleasant dose of altitude sickness. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For a slice of western Americana and access to the rugged Animas River gorge section of the San Juan Mtns., try the Durango & Silverton Railroad; their Cascade Canyon Winter Train runs only from Thursday-Saturday of each week in January (see [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us/2011-12-cascade-canyon-winter-train[/SIZE][SIZE=3] ). Heed everyone’s recommendations in terms of equipage for Rocky Mountain winter conditions.[/SIZE]

Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 PM

236 posts, read 479,350 times
arrgh! I want to see it all!

there is so much and more keeps popping up, I'm overwhelmed really. I have been wondering about the acclimation thing, does that apply to driving into the state on I70? I hope I don't get sick driving. I have read about the Mountains and they say to go to 3500ft and spend the day then take it further the next day ect ect... I do smoke but not heavily like when I was younger, maybe 3 or 4 smokes a day (I'm a Mechanic!) I have been on this 3or4 after coffee or a meal for years now but I know it will probably still effect me.

do you guys figure coming into Colorado driving I will get effected by it? I've been a few feet below sea level here in Arlington since I was 9yrs old! I have been to the highest point on Skyline Drive more than a few times and I didn't feel anything different except maybe I could hear better I think.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Should not bother a young person in otherwise good health, after all, millions live here, all ages, smokers or not. An occasional person will be affected, but not many, and usually not at I-25 elevations of 5280 to 7500 feet.

Driving across Kansas all day on I-70 is a bit of an acclimation in itself, leaving Kansas City, KS at 740 feet,
then Topeka at 945 feet,
then Manhattan at 1020 feet,
then Salina at 1224 feet,
then Hays at 2021,
then Oakley at 3064,
then Goodland at 3681 feet,
then Burlington, CO at 4170,
then Limon, CO at 5377, and depending which way you go at Limon, you get either
Denver at 5,130 to 5,680 feet, or
Colorado Springs at 5,870 to 7,200 ft.

I never had a problem, most people don't.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
I have been wondering about the acclimation thing, does that apply to driving into the state on I70? I hope I don't get sick driving.
It happens to a small percentage of the population. No way to tell until the first time you do it.

Quote:
I have read about the Mountains and they say to go to 3500ft and spend the day then take it further the next day ect ect...
This applies if you intend to exercise or if you're one of the few people who's affected by altitude. Otherwise does not apply.

Quote:
do you guys figure coming into Colorado driving I will get effected by it? I've been a few feet below sea level here in Arlington since I was 9yrs old!
Like I said, most people are not affected. For those who are, there's really no way to know beforehand.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Here's a little information on altitude sickness.

Acute mountain sickness - PubMed Health

Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Default I get altitude sickness

There are two of you. One of you may get it and one may not. You may both get it or maybe neither of you will get it. Drinking lots of water is a common technique to head it off. Make sure you have a spill proof water bowl in the car so your dog has access to lots of water so that she can stay hydrated to.
Amazon.com: Water Hole: Pet Supplies

You can do a search on the forum to get some ideas of folks recommended remedies and acclimation techniques.

For me, I'm ok up till about 9000 ft. Then I can stay for two days above that altitude. On the third day I will get altitude sickness so need to come down. I haven't found drinking extra water helps for me but many do. I would recommend setting a schedule where the first couple of days here you try to plan things at lower altitudes before you venture up to the mountains. You can also buy personal oxygen devices to breath more oxygen. Here is an example.
http://www.amazon.com/POD-Portable-Personal-Oxygen-Dispenser/dp/B000X2FRC6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (broken link)

On another topic, an earlier post mentioned the hand warmers (air activated) for your emergency kit. They are a great idea. I also like the ThermaCare Wraps. If for some reason your car breaks down in the cold they provide over 8 hrs of warmth.
ThermaCare Pain Relieving Air Activated Heat Wraps, 2ct - Walmart.com

Even if you don't get altitude sickness you will likely find you get winded more easily so will need to take it easy at first until you adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado