U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 PM

486 posts, read 1,158,462 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to share this, but I wanted to announce my new blog "housecrazy".

Although the blog is specifically about houses (and my house addiction), I thought it might be of interest to folks here on the Colorado forum because most (if not all) of the houses I have and will feature are in various parts of Colorado.

So if you enjoy houses and enjoy peeping around Colorado, give it a look-see:
housecrazy

-Sarah
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,466,113 times
Couldn't sell it, insurance fraud? RP

Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM

19,412 posts, read 35,285,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
The correct term is "urban renewal."

If I read the story correctly, someone had bought the house after Sarah's bid was rejected, so I'm not sure it was arson/fraud. Authorities said it was faulty wiring, which is why I'd be leery of any house that is old, modified or out in rural areas. Many handymen do all sort of things that are not code-worthy and many codes have been added and/or updated since those older ones were built.

Here in COLO SPGS, in the Black Forest area, there are lots of older homes that were added on to over the years, often by homeowners doing the work on the cheap, and you never know what you're going to find if you open up the walls in some of these places, i.e., not structurally sound, dangerous wiring, no insulation, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

7,725 posts, read 15,609,923 times
Mfbe wrote:
you never know what you're going to find if you open up the walls in some of these places
And if yer really lucky, maybe a bag full of $100 bills or a couple of gold bars!

It happens....after my aunt passed on back in the 90s, they found a shoe box containing $38,000 in $100 bills in a cubby hole in one of her closets. When the dust settled, I received a check for $1000.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM

19,412 posts, read 35,285,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mfbe wrote:
you never know what you're going to find if you open up the walls in some of these places
And if yer really lucky, maybe a bag full of $100 bills or a couple of gold bars!

It happens....after my aunt passed on back in the 90s, they found a shoe box containing $38,000 in $100 bills in a cubby hole in one of her closets. When the dust settled, I received a check for $1000.
Only $1k? Did you pizz her off or sumptin?

A lot of folks lost their money in bank collapses during the Great Depression and never trusted banks again, despite the FDIC guarantees. When my sister bought a house in the late 1970's from one such old guy, he insisted on full cash at the settlement table....didn't trust banks.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM

7,725 posts, read 15,609,923 times
MFBE wrote:
Only $1k? Did you pizz her off or sumptin?
I think it was split into equal shares for her remaining brothers and sisters, then at their discretion, some or all of their share could be passed down to their kids. I was thrilled with the $1,000 that came my way!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM

486 posts, read 1,158,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
It burned AFTER it was sold - the new owners had only been it in for about a year.

btw, I just added a new post featuring some Old Colorado City houses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado