U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,395 posts, read 4,166,468 times
Reputation: 7492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Rear wheel drive + lack of winter driving experience + slippery road = real trouble. Period. By the way, the Colorado State Troopers use RWD Magnums. The troopers are specifically trained in winter driving techniques, the cars have full traction control, and I believe they actually "ballast" the cars some in the rear. A couple of troopers I know still complain that the Magnum is "squirrelly" on slick roads.
Do they use those when it's bad though? All I saw was explorers



Look, another stuck BMW

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,994 posts, read 8,906,249 times
Reputation: 18346
Please tell me how all this relates to tires that are rated "M+S". Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,395 posts, read 4,166,468 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please tell me how all this relates to tires that are rated "M+S". Thanks.
All-Season Tires with Mud and Snow Designation
If a tire has MS, M+S, M/S or M&S on it, then it meets the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) guidelines for a mud and snow tire.

HowStuffWorks "How Tires Work"


I think that basically means that it's a good all-season tire to use in the snow, but it still wouldn't take the place of real dedicated snow tires
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,798,995 times
Reputation: 8977
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please tell me how all this relates to tires that are rated "M+S". Thanks.
They will get you stuck in places that regular tires can't get to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Alabama
21 posts, read 70,304 times
Reputation: 14
Thanks for the tips everyone, I made it here safely, took about 4 hours. I don't know why but it was kind of fun and thrilling to drive in those conditions. I deflated my tires only slightly before going. You guys weren't kidding about the incline which is hard to determine from just google maps.

There were many cars that were stuck and left for the night. Stop and go is ok until you hit a icy spot, there were few times that I had to turn off ESP to get more grip and get the tires spinning but once I got moving it was all good. It only gets irritating when you get so much spin going the car wants slide towards the median. Had a choice of driving a saturn outlook fwd but the tires were all seasons and drives goofy in snow, hopefully the wallet will allow tires for that soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Rear wheel drive + lack of winter driving experience + slippery road = real trouble. Period. By the way, the Colorado State Troopers use RWD Magnums. The troopers are specifically trained in winter driving techniques, the cars have full traction control, and I believe they actually "ballast" the cars some in the rear. A couple of troopers I know still complain that the Magnum is "squirrelly" on slick roads.
Now that you mention it, I do see them driving chargers alot, this time it was all SUV's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,395 posts, read 4,166,468 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsnow View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone, I made it here safely, took about 4 hours. I don't know why but it was kind of fun and thrilling to drive in those conditions. I deflated my tires only slightly before going. You guys weren't kidding about the incline which is hard to determine from just google maps.

There were many cars that were stuck and left for the night. Stop and go is ok until you hit a icy spot, there were few times that I had to turn off ESP to get more grip and get the tires spinning but once I got moving it was all good. It only gets irritating when you get so much spin going the car wants slide towards the median. Had a choice of driving a saturn outlook fwd but the tires were all seasons and drives goofy in snow, hopefully the wallet will allow tires for that soon.




Now that you mention it, I do see them driving chargers alot, this time it was all SUV's.
You want to see a fun road (closed in the winter), go drive East Portal Road in Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

The steepest section of what you drove is 6-7%, that road is 16%
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Do they use those when it's bad though? All I saw was explorers

Look, another stuck BMW
Often, when they had Camaros they used them up on Vail Pass in storms and Crown Vics as well. I'm sure they use snow tires. Not the best choice for up there.

That pic of the BMW is a very common sight on Vail Pass and at the Tunnel. And then it jams other people up, they lose their momentum and then others get stuck.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top