U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM

21 posts, read 70,218 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!!

I will be driving from Fountain to Dillon for the first time in my Dodge magnum rear drive tonight. I know parts of Denver and all of Summit County has gotten a bit of snow today too. I also have OK snow tires.

My question is, when you get near the tunnel, I've heard traffic can be stop and go, with the amount of snow today. Is it hard to get moving again after coming to a full stop? I am unsure how much of an incline it is before the tunnel. I don't have a set of chains nor are they recommended on this car.

Im planing on bringing a small shovel and sand incase it happens, hopefully its melted by tonight.

I am typing this from my phone so im sorry if the formatting is running together, thanks.

Last edited by Islandsnow; 01-11-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,062 times
Here's a GREAT idea. While towing stuck drivers out of the Monarch parking lot one day I pulled an asphalt shingle out of the back of the truck.
Works better than cat litter and other nonsense.
I encourage all on this forum to keep one 4 foot shingle in your trunk. You'll be amazed how well it works.
RP

Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM

21 posts, read 70,218 times
That is a great and cheap idea, thanks. Anyone going to the Ullr parade?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink A case for chains & momentum

You should carry chains.

Yes, seldom an issue in Colorado, save on commercial trucks. But when things get gnarly there is nothing like good old-fashioned chains to insure you actually arrive where going. They are of course a pain to put on and use, but a better alternative than being stuck somewhere on or beside a snow-encrusted road. If your 'winter' tires will not accommodate chains, then a good question how narrow or winterized they are.

If not some version of four-wheel-drive, then front-wheel-drive is preferable in snow to anything with rear-wheel-drive. But one possible exception to this is when on an incline. At such point gravity tends to load the rear wheels, versus the front, so traction actually better with rear-wheel-drive. Countervailing this is that the steeper the grade the harder it always is to get started from a dead stop. With any luck, you'll be able to keep some momentum in moving forward, which is always preferable. But if necessary from a dead stop, then of course feather the gas to get a little forward momentum started again with as little brute force and wheel spin as possible.

So, to answer the question succinctly, well, it depends. But as probably already discovered, never as simple getting up to speed on snow as on dry pavement, with any incline making it all the harder. Keep moving, if possible.

Oh, and carry chains. Because then, if worse coming to worst, one will still have a way of not being stuck. Unless rolled over in a snow bank, which is another matter.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

590 posts, read 2,007,832 times
The asphalt single is a great idea.

When I was put at the tunnel in May there was snow and it was a mess. A rear wheel drive BMW a few cars ahead spun out and landed in the median. A front wheel drive Honda Civic in front of me got stuck. I'd be more concerned about losing control while moving than getting stuck not being able to move. Getting stuck is usually cheaper. Just take it easy. Don't panic, get overconfident, or be in a hurry.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Rear wheel drive is a serious bummer on the snow and ice imo. It's sort of fun for driving around the neighborhood and stuff... but in I-70 traffic... I'd avoid it.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,971 times
I saw a ton of cars stuck on I-70, all were RWD

As far as the grade, I think the grade on Floyd Hill is more than the tunnel

Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
A ton of cars would be like half of my car.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsnow View Post
Hi guys!!

I will be driving from Fountain to Dillon for the first time in my Dodge magnum rear drive tonight. I know parts of Denver and all of Summit County has gotten a bit of snow today too. I also have OK snow tires.

My question is, when you get near the tunnel, I've heard traffic can be stop and go, with the amount of snow today. Is it hard to get moving again after coming to a full stop? I am unsure how much of an incline it is before the tunnel. I don't have a set of chains nor are they recommended on this car.

Im planing on bringing a small shovel and sand incase it happens, hopefully its melted by tonight.

I am typing this from my phone so im sorry if the formatting is running together, thanks.
Yep it's an incline and trucks and rear wheel drive cars get caught out all the time when the tunnel gets closed temporarily or when traffic is bad. Snow tires are a big help. It's usually people on crappy bald tires or all seasons that have a hard time and then they jam up traffic.

Kitty litter and a small shovel is a help if you truly get stuck.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Rear wheel drive + lack of winter driving experience + slippery road = real trouble. Period. By the way, the Colorado State Troopers use RWD Magnums. The troopers are specifically trained in winter driving techniques, the cars have full traction control, and I believe they actually "ballast" the cars some in the rear. A couple of troopers I know still complain that the Magnum is "squirrelly" on slick roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado