Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

169 posts, read 373,096 times

Advertisements

OP, I'm of no help with the schools, but I can help a little with housing prices. I had a conversation yesterday with our landlord, a local builder, and he was lamenting the lack of new housing starts. He said there are many "steals" to be had, but was referring mainly to $750K+ homes. He did tell me that $350,000 is the current "hot" price point and that will get you the bottom 40% of the Durango market, though we were talking about single family homes. Fwiw, our newer condo would cost $300,000ish and there are several condo properties in this range around town. 3BR, 2.5 BA, 2 car garage. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 37,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You may be making a big assumption if you think that you will make California salaries in Durango--even with a "big" national company. I would surely find that out before committing to anything in Durango. Durango has a long reputation in Colorado as being a place where local incomes and living costs are not at all in sync. That is why many of the people who actually have to rely on the local economy in Durango for a living are caught in the "drive to affordability" mode of having to live in Mancos, Bayfield, Aztec, etc. and endure a long commute in order to even afford to live in the area. A $300K house may seem like a bargain to a Californian, but if the local income is half what the California income is, it is no bargain at all. I've seen a whole lot of people not do their homework and get caught in that trap. Also, if the "plum" job that might pay well in Durango doesn't work out, there may be no other comparable opportunity available there. That catches lots of people, too.

Jazzlover, thank you for the input.

We may be from California, but we're not without common sense If this employment opportunity didn't exist, we would not be considering the move; I can't imagine anyone picking up their family and moving without having secured employment, but I guess people do.

The salary is actually comparable, not identical, but comparable. As far as 'California salaries'... don't believe anyone who tells you there is such a thing. The pay scale is all over the place depending where you live and what you do. It's a big state, employment dynamics can vary quite a bit from place to place. Only a fraction of the people here work and/or live in Silicon Valley, Bay Area, Marin, etc... where they earn $200k+ a year and live in million dollar homes.

Obviously jobs don't always pan out. It happens all over the place, not just Durango. If it happens then we'll deal with it just like we would anywhere else and move on. I wouldn't worry about such failures, as it will only hold you back from trying new things.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 37,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
OP, I'm of no help with the schools, but I can help a little with housing prices. I had a conversation yesterday with our landlord, a local builder, and he was lamenting the lack of new housing starts. He said there are many "steals" to be had, but was referring mainly to $750K+ homes. He did tell me that $350,000 is the current "hot" price point and that will get you the bottom 40% of the Durango market, though we were talking about single family homes. Fwiw, our newer condo would cost $300,000ish and there are several condo properties in this range around town. 3BR, 2.5 BA, 2 car garage. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information. I imagine there probably are some steals to be had on higher end homes; it's the same here in Ca. Prices are way down across the board, but the most expensive homes are the slowest to sell and seem to have much deeper discounts.

Do you rent your condo, or did you purchase it? My wife is all for living in a Condo, I'm not convinced. Being without a yard just seems wrong to me, but I would welcome the time freed up not having to water, weed, mow, plant, maintain... all of the landscape maintenance around here eats up an surprising amount of time. A condo adjacent to a park or area the kids can go play would be nice.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

169 posts, read 373,096 times
[quote=goin hiking;22515280]Thank you for the information. I imagine there probably are some steals to be had on higher end homes; it's the same here in Ca. Prices are way down across the board, but the most expensive homes are the slowest to sell and seem to have much deeper discounts.

Do you rent your condo, or did you purchase it?
We rent, but still own and rent out our home in KY.

My wife is all for living in a Condo, I'm not convinced. Being without a yard just seems wrong to me, but I would welcome the time freed up not having to water, weed, mow, plant, maintain... all of the landscape maintenance around here eats up an surprising amount of time.
I side with your wife, I enjoy not worrying about maintenance, particularly lawn work. I swore to my wife when we moved here that I would never again touch a lawn mower, and I meant it. We do have a tiny, and I do mean tiny, back yard (appx. 30'x10') that allows for the dog to frolic and do her "business".
As for wanting a park close by, that will be the least of your worries in Durango as there is one seemingly around every corner. We don't have children but I couldn't imagine a better environment in which to raise a child. The wife and myself moved here six months ago and often remark how jealous we are of the locals that we didn't get to grow up here as they did.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin hiking View Post

Bayfield or Mancos might not be out of the question but if we're going to be outside of Durango we'll probably want something a little more remote, like a home in a wooded area on a large lot, otherwise we'd probably prefer to be in town for the convenience.

I'm sure there are more questions on our minds, but services for our daughter, interim housing, and finding a home are the main concerns right now.

We're very connected with the outdoors and spend most of our free time hiking and backpacking, so needless to say Durango would be a dream location in those respects. It seems like an equally good place to raise the kids, we're hoping we can make it work. Any feedback on the above point or otherwise is appreciated!
I cannot address the specifics but having lived in the area for a number of years before moving to Missouri, I am pretty much certain that you will have to stay in Durango to obtain any special needs educational programs for your daughter. I could be totally wrong, but I seriously doubt if Bayfield or Mancos will have anything suitable.

I have not been there for several years, but I expect that the economy has taken its toll there as well, that having been said, you might communicate with a realtor to see what kinds of short sales and foreclosures are available as well. Back when I lived there, $300,000 didn't buy much house.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM

108 posts, read 389,558 times
Western Slope Craislist is where most of the Durango posts will be. If you look under Farmington, NM there will some for Durango as well, but primarily stick with Western Slope. CL isn't huge in Durango, for houses and rentals, the vast majority here use the Durango Herald. And Durango is still one of those towns where a flyer at the grocery store/coffee shop gets some action!

300K is on the lower side, and that price range like others have said, is still moving here, just slower then it would of been several years back. There are houses to be found though, and several town home/condo complexes or neighborhoods with town homes in them (like Skyridge) where you could buy for that price range.

I'll PM you.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Prices drop after you get 10-15 miles from Durango. Look between Durango and Bayfield.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
One thing to consider about Durango is the relative isolation. My husband and I considered moving there, but it always came down to how far it was to get to Denver where we could get a decent flight. His family is all on the east coast, so we wanted to be no more than 3 hours from a decent airport. We lived in Grand Junction for 7 years, and even that was too far at times from DIA. Flights in and out of Durango are extremely expensive, and often require multiple connections to get to your destination. We are actually dealing with this in Bend, OR where we are living now.

If you don't mind the isolation and don't travel, it's probably a great place for you. Summer isn't so bad, but during the winter that travel becomes treacherous, so just something to consider if you haven't already. Of course, with that said, I'd go for it if you have a job opportunity! Rent for a while and decide if you can handle the isolation before you buy.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
One thing to consider about Durango is the relative isolation. My husband and I considered moving there, but it always came down to how far it was to get to Denver where we could get a decent flight. His family is all on the east coast, so we wanted to be no more than 3 hours from a decent airport. We lived in Grand Junction for 7 years, and even that was too far at times from DIA. Flights in and out of Durango are extremely expensive, and often require multiple connections to get to your destination. We are actually dealing with this in Bend, OR where we are living now.

If you don't mind the isolation and don't travel, it's probably a great place for you. Summer isn't so bad, but during the winter that travel becomes treacherous, so just something to consider if you haven't already. Of course, with that said, I'd go for it if you have a job opportunity! Rent for a while and decide if you can handle the isolation before you buy.
You can always drive to Albuquerque and get a flight. It's not any further, I think than Denver is, if you take into account all the mountains.

I never felt isolated in Durango. Even in the worst weather they have competent road crews and you can ALWAYS go south.

Good god, I'm actually saying nice things about the place. LOL

20yrsinBRanson

Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You can always drive to Albuquerque and get a flight. It's not any further, I think than Denver is, if you take into account all the mountains.

I never felt isolated in Durango. Even in the worst weather they have competent road crews and you can ALWAYS go south.

Good god, I'm actually saying nice things about the place. LOL

20yrsinBRanson
ABQ is much closer, 3 hrs vs 6 or 7 hrs and it's an easy drive, no mountain passes. Staright down US550 to I-25 outside of Albuquerque.

DRO is pretty good and I don't consider Durango isolated at all. Yes, you do have to keep your eyes open for airfare specials but with American's daily DFW shuttles you can also fly in & out of DFW. I have also found one way fares to DIA to/from DRO at $100 ea quite often. If you do your homework on the airfares, you'd be surprised at how reasonably you ca get in/out of DRO with a drive to ABQ being the last resort only if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado