U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM

16 posts, read 28,522 times

Advertisements

I live in a high crime area. Where I currently live there are areas that remind me a bit of the historic downtown (lots of shops, upscale boutiques, places to eat, set in old town area) and it can actually be a dangerous place to walk around alone, even in the afternoon. This kind of 'open crime' is what we're looking to get away from.

So when I see what appears to be a high number of assaults in Durango, I want to know how this affects daily life for people living there.

The gist of what I'm curious about is how the statistics pan out in real life. In other words, according to this site and others, in the last couple of years there were about 200 assaults in Durango. Are these scenarios where people are getting mugged walking through town, or mostly to do with circles of people who are partying and getting out of hand.

Maybe because I'm used to places like Truckee, CA where crime is very low I assumed Durango would be about the same, but looking at some numbers of incidents, I feel that I do need to ask the question unfortunately. The recent article in the Durango Herald which mentioned a significant number of hate crimes doesn't reinforce a feeling of confidence.

I'm really hoping that this is not the case, and the numbers make things seem more dire than they are.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-02-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM

20,372 posts, read 37,921,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin hiking View Post
I live in a high crime area. ... I'm used to places like Truckee, CA where crime is very low....
Tell us what is the high crime area you live in. That will help us. Your IP address goes back to Stockton, CA, which has a crime rate that is double the national average, but Truckee's crime rate is way low and lower than Durango's.

Maybe our locals in Durango can chip in here. My best guess is that most assaults are bar fights or domestic cases.

Best thing I can suggest, if you want real objectivity on the matter, is to call the non-emergency number of the Durango police department and talk to them about the nature of the assaults.

I've walked around downtown Durango several times now, day and night, and I never saw anything improper or felt uneasy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-02-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,334,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Maybe our locals in Durango can chip in here. My best guess is that most assaults are bar fights or domestic cases.
Perhaps though not as bad as it used to be. My GGgrandmother's brother who was county sheriff at the time was killed in a gunfight with the town marshall outside the El Moro Saloon on Main Ave. A number of years before that he was stabbed in the gut, again on the streets of Durano, by a black sheep cousin who was later killed in a bar fight in Arizona. Oh for those peaceful times before Jazz's wild and crazy trust-funders showed up.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

106 posts, read 332,724 times
I do not feel unsafe in Durango. I walked around downtown last night with my 7 month old sleeping trapped to me after I attended a movie screening, alone, in the dark at 9:30pm And I think I got in my unlocked car, as I often forget to lock it around town. Even though I know I should. As a reader of the Herald for almost 20 years now, the vast majority of the assaults that they report on are 2am from a bar, college students, families (meaning within the same family), or within partying circles. I'm struggling to remember the last time there was an incident that did not fit into one of those brackets. My daily life is not affected at all by this. The last time a crime was committed against me when 8-9 years ago when I didn't lock my belongings up at the re center pool and someone helped themselves to a twenty I had. Back to the I really should lock up my stuff! That type of crime is far more likely to be found, an unlocked bike downtown walking away, then assaults. My 9 year is allowed to walk around downtown herself, just a few blocks to practice, I am never concerned for her safety. Is is far more likely that people will assist rather then harm or help themselves to your stuff.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 381 times
The afforable homes appear to be on the outskirts of Durango.We too found a job opportunity here in the city.We have combed the internet for rentals & sales alike.It has much to offer with rafting,zipline,train rides designed for children & adults.Accessibility is key when winter arrives.They have middle & high schools that are charters.Riverview & Needham have the best reputations here in town.I'm sure they offer services.Bayfield is conservative,family oriented,&more afforable.Acreage available...Everyone is friendly in Durango!Best regards,&yes i could compare notes as i once lived in Northern Cali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado