U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 AM

767 posts, read 1,400,818 times

Advertisements

Visiting from Texas. I've seen things to do in Beaver Creek and Vail, but is there much to do in Avon without having to travel to a neighboring city?

Looking for advice from the locals.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM

2,985 posts, read 6,667,309 times
I wouldn't call any of the three cities, they are very small towns. It takes less than 5 minutes to get from Avon to Beaver Creek and about 10 minutes to get to Vail, there is bus transportation to both. Both Vail and BC are resort villages with shopping, restaurants and skiing, Avon is more residential. We have some good restaurants, normal stores, a great rec center, a nice lake for skating. Is there you something specific you are looking to do?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM

767 posts, read 1,400,818 times
well it'll be honeymoon week, so all the touristy things. doubt we'll make it up to skiing, so really it'll be sight seeing, shopping, eating, etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,098,668 times
Avon is basically a bedroom community and support town for Vail and Beaver Creek. It has stuff like a big dysfunctional post office, supermarket, Wal Mart, medical clinics, etc. It's not really a tourist town or set up for tourists. But Beaver Creek is right up the hill above Avon a few minutes away and Vail is 10 minutes down the interstate.

A bunch of restaurants have gone out of business in Avon in the past 18 months. Outback, Finnigans Wake, Zacca Za, etc. But two old standby's I can recommend are the Avon Bakery and Deli, which is great for breakfast and lunch, and Pazzo's Pizza which is good for lunch and dinner.

If you want more shopping and restaurants head down to Edwards 4 miles away.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Check Beaver Creek Ski Vacation Resort | Colorado Ski Resorts | Official Beaver Creek® | http://www.beavercreek.com and Official Vail Ski Resort - Vail, Colorado Hotels and Resorts | http://www.vail.com for which events are going on the week you'll be here. You can go tubing at Adventure Ridge in Vail or Snowshoeing in BCs. BC and Vail offer better shopping than Avon. Avon has some good restaurants Vin48 for dinner, and Northside Coffee and Kitchen for breakfast and lunch. Up in BC Splendido is great for the big romantic dinner, I hear good things about The Metropolitan for wine and tapas, if you're into craft beer head over to Crazy Mountain Brewery in Edwards, it's a funky tasting room but the beer is exceptional.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM

4,949 posts, read 8,964,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
Visiting from Texas. I've seen things to do in Beaver Creek and Vail, but is there much to do in Avon without having to travel to a neighboring city?
Stare at the mountains. That's about it.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM

10,911 posts, read 41,424,065 times
In Avon, 240 Chapel Place ... Chapel Square ...

is one of the best Mexican restaurants in the region, Carniceria Tepic.

Don't let the focus on the mexican market/butcher shop deter you. There are a few tables in the place, and the service ... while friendly ... is rather limited. But the food is the real deal and worth your time to order at the cash register and grab a table. Having a bit of spanish in your vocabulary helps, otherwise just point at the menu posted on the wall and they'll get the food for you. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are exceptional and at a much lower price point than you'll pay in most of the area.

What's amazing about this place is to see it located right next door to one of the "gringo" mexican places that serves an americanized menu of the usual gooey gloppy cheesy fecalitos. Folk keep that place busy with all the fancy decor targeted to tourists, but ignore the real food nearby .... the Carniceria seems to be a local's thing catering primarily to the area Hispanics.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Don't let the focus on the mexican market/butcher shop deter you. There are a few tables in the place, and the service ... while friendly ... is rather limited. But the food is the real deal and worth your time to order at the cash register and grab a table. Having a bit of spanish in your vocabulary helps, otherwise just point at the menu posted on the wall and they'll get the food for you. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are exceptional and at a much lower price point than you'll pay in most of the area.

What's amazing about this place is to see it located right next door to one of the "gringo" mexican places that serves an americanized menu of the usual gooey gloppy cheesy fecalitos. Folk keep that place busy with all the fancy decor targeted to tourists, but ignore the real food nearby .... the Carniceria seems to be a local's thing catering primarily to the area Hispanics.
Good to know, I go in there for good tortillas and hot sauce, next time I'll stop for a bite.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,098,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

I remember that store but never went in there.

Fiesta Jalisco I never liked, some like it, but it's not my thing. I heard they had state tax problems so I don't know if they are still in business.

Down valley a lot of restaurants have been wound up and went bust. Paddy's, Finnegans Wake, Outback, Mustang Ranch in Edwards, Chilly Willy's, Zacca Za, etc. I think this financial downturn wiped out a lot of people. I noticed last time in the valley, every day I ate out, a lot of restaurants were pretty empty. When I come back soon, we'll see what is around.

I ate at Agave a few times last time and I didn't mind it. I also enjoy the Saloon in Minturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado