U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 13,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here awhile and decided to make a thread! A little background information on me: 24, male, single, B.S.B.A degree in Management of Information Systems (IT)... I love to ski, mountain bike, hike, rock climb, and pretty much anything outdoors. I've been to Colorado the past few years for ski trips and I am seriously thinking about relocating there.

I've been in Central PA for 3 years now - since I graduated college. I work for the DoD as a Systems Analyst in Inventory Management and feel I've experienced pretty much all Central PA has to offer. I figure I'm young, have no ties to the area, and want to explore the western United States. Colorado is on my map because my Uncle lives there and I want to experience the finest skiing/mountain biking the area has to offer. I'm highly motivated and will start applying to jobs relatively soon. I will not relocate unless a job is locked up first.

I guess I'm looking for any advice/tips/feedback for landing a job out there? Also advice on where to live as a young gun? I'm going to start by applying to just government jobs to see what happens. I can't apply to private industry jobs until July because I'm not fully vested in my 401k yet. So if I have to wait until July, so be it. I will just build up a little nest egg until then.

I'd say 80% of me is extremely excited to fully experience the West and 20% of me is trying to talk myself out of it. My current job is very financially secure and will be for as long as I want it to be. Money isn't everything and I feel there is more to life. How is my plan? Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM

20,380 posts, read 37,943,998 times
Sounds like you work at one of the depots there in PA, I visited the one near Harrisburg to see how their bar-coding was implemented.

If you have a clearance you are way ahead of the game. Look in USAJOBS.gov for openings out here.

Civil govt jobs in the Denver area, lots of DoD jobs in COLO SPGS and some at Buckley AFB near the Denver airport.

May take a while, but it might happen. Latest news is the USAF is cutting some jobs here in COLO SPGS, so it might not happen too fast. Not sure the corporate side of things, but there's plenty of corporate IT in the Denver-Boulder area. The Denver Tech Center is about 12 miles south of downtown Denver and is a large area of IT work, with lesser sites around town. Big IBM presence in Boulder and fair amount of IT in the Rte 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM

10 posts, read 13,712 times
Thanks Mike. Yep, I work in Mechanicsburg and really need a change of pace. I figured in the mean time I would apply to the Denver/COS federal jobs that pop up. I'm pretty scared to move and give up all this security, but I feel like I'm not growing as a person here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado