U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM

319 posts, read 622,725 times

Advertisements

Calling all Southern Colorado data aficionados!

I am trying to verify whether my tiny town of Branson holds the distinction of being the southernmost incorporated town in Colorado. Wikipedia and some other unofficial sites say so, but I'm looking for something considerably more bona fide and trustworthy.

A State Reference Librarian just helped me search state sites, census and other sources, to no avail. I poked around the C-D site a bit, but haven't yet hit paydirt. Any ideas?

If anybody can help with this, I am certain the data geeks and freaks at C-D can. (And I mean that in the most affectionate and respectful terms, of course.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,339,106 times
Seems clear to me just eyeballing along the border all the way across that it is. Nothing's even close so not sure you need anything all that precise.

http://itouchmap.com/?p=branson%2C+c...t=+Go+&t=l&r=b

I'll go even further and say that Branson is the closest incorporated town to the CO NM border in either state. Anyone care to challenge that claim?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-13-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks, CAVA, for chiming in and throwing down the gauntlet. Be interesting to see who/what shows up.

It's 2 miles from "downtown" to the NM border, although I saw one site (can't remember it now) that said we were 3/10 of a mile from the border. If the original mapmaker had jerked his hand just a bit, perhaps Branson would qualify as a land of enchantment.

Oh. Wait...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Thanks, CAVA, for chiming in and throwing down the gauntlet. Be interesting to see who/what shows up.

It's 2 miles from "downtown" to the NM border, although I saw one site (can't remember it now) that said we were 3/10 of a mile from the border. If the original mapmaker had jerked his hand just a bit, perhaps Branson would qualify as a land of enchantment.

Oh. Wait...
I did notice something curious on that map I linked to. I was always under the assumption that the border betwee NM and CO was a straight line all the way across. However, according to the map it looks like there are a couple spots further West from you where it curves and then straightens out.

I posted the question on the NM forum to see if my hypothesis is correct.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-13-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM

2,537 posts, read 5,835,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I did notice something curious on that map I linked to. I was always under the assumption that the border betwee NM and CO was a straight line all the way across. However, according to the map it looks like there are a couple spots further West from you where it curves and then straightens out.
You mean to say we're not really just one of those big rectangles on the left hand side of the map?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Based on the NM Mod's response to my query, looks like Branson is the closest on either side.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Excellent sleuthing, CAVA! I took a look at the NM thread. When you cited that Branson is 3.2 miles from the border, were you speaking of ground miles or air miles?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Excellent sleuthing, CAVA! I took a look at the NM thread. When you cited that Branson is 3.2 miles from the border, were you speaking of ground miles or air miles?
Well the border is 37 degrees latitude and Branson is at 37.0175 so by my calculations you're just a tad over a mile as the crow flies from the border. That's really the measurement you want to use anyway, not road miles. I'm guessing the 3.2 (but now I don't remember where I got that) are road miles.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:23 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,191,939 times
You could measure it in meters with a UTM datum. In Google earth you can change your settings to UTM.

If you really need to know what it it according to the State of Colorado I could fire up my GIS, find a cities shapefile, I have all the other Colorado basemap shapefiles (state border, plss, etc), and measure it for you. I can snap to the state border, but to what part of Branson are you measuring to? Is there a specific center or edge of Branson you are thinking of?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks, eofelis, I appreciate that offer. There's nothing legal or overly precise at stake here. My interest is in whether we can claim that distinction in any marketing/advertising we do to spread the word about the town, special events, etc. Gives us something to crow about, you know?

I am enough of a perfectionist, however, that I'd like to be able to back up our claim should anyone ask. One could say that the center of town is the location of the Town Hall on Main Street. I'm not an Earth-Googler, so I can't say much more about that.

I appreciate your interest and would love to receive any data you can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado