U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 PM

131 posts, read 239,565 times
Question altitude?

My family and I are thinking about moving to Colorado. (Teller County)
We are currently in NJ. And are concerned about the Altitude. Is it hard for your body to adjust? Would we always have to worry about the High Altitude Sickness? If we were to live in a place that the altitude is 9,000ft and work where it 6,000 ft or less, will there be health effects down the road? Because of going up & down in altitude?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 PM

791 posts, read 1,478,175 times
There shouldn't be any problem unless you have extreme physical condition that would warrant caution. Living near sea level, jetting to Denver and skiing at 12,000 feet all in one day can make one tired. But next day or so you feel normal.

Living at a mile high, you'll be adjusted.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
There shouldn't be any problem unless you have extreme physical condition that would warrant caution. Living near sea level, jetting to Denver and skiing at 12,000 feet all in one day can make one tired. But next day or so you feel normal.

Living at a mile high, you'll be adjusted.
There have been several posts dealing with this concern. The above comments are absolutely correct.

For additional information, please consider using the Advanced Search tool.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 86,847 times
I live in Colorado Springs and have for ten years. I was diagnosed with a heart condition within one year of moving here and have had problems ever since. The lack of oxygen is the issue. My cardiologist has indicated that the cut-off for real problems is 8000 feet. So, although Colorado Springs hovers at around 6000 feet and I do suffer from shortness of breath and fatigue, I can no longer travel to the mountains without serious consequences. Of course, this is related to my condition, but every person I know who comes here from sea level needs two to three days to adjust and even then can suffer from travelling in and out of the mountains. Your body will adjust, but I would check with a physician regarding the up and down of your intended daily commute. If you have any heart problems you may be in trouble. Just my experience talking! That is why I am out of here as soon as we get all our ducks in a row. I travel to lower elevations a couple times a year and know first hand how much better I feel immediately with all that extra oxygen!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 AM

612 posts, read 1,261,449 times
Adjusting to the altitude also depends on what type of adjustment you're referring to.

If you're talking about walking around, sightseeing, day-to-day living, it can take a week or so before the light headedness goes away.

If you're an athlete and are talking about high levels of exertion, (running, cycling, sports, etc.), it can take a few months to a year to adjust to the same levels of performance at lower altitude.

Bottom line, it takes time, but if you're in reasonably good health, you'll be fine.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 29,979 times
I just absolutely love Colorado Springs. It is such a beautiful place to visit during the summer. During my college years I spent two summers there with my roommate who was from there. Colorado Springs has been my family's main destination of choice for a relaxing vacation. I am trying to convince my husband that we should move there.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 16,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
My family and I are thinking about moving to Colorado. (Teller County)
We are currently in NJ. And are concerned about the Altitude. Is it hard for your body to adjust? Would we always have to worry about the High Altitude Sickness? If we were to live in a place that the altitude is 9,000ft and work where it 6,000 ft or less, will there be health effects down the road? Because of going up & down in altitude?
Thanks for any help you can give.
I'm from the east coast and we drive our motorhome to Cripple Creek (9600 ft) several times a year. My husband who has heart disease suffers no affects from the altitude at all. I feel lightheaded, a little dizzy and blaa for about 10-12 days then feel perfectly normal.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,586,682 times
I've never noticed any difference at all, until I tried running or something

Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,086,122 times
I know this isn't a health type of issue but, I feel it's worth mentioning.....

If you drink alcohol at all, just remember the effects at altitude are greater.
It is important to slow it down a bit, you will get buzzed a LOT faster!

It also dehydrates one faster. That happens whether you drink alcohol or not.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,586,682 times
one of the many benefits of drinking on Pikes Peak!! One beer and you're done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado