U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 3,801 times
Smile Moving to Colorado - recommendations?

Hello! I am graduating from college in August and am hoping to move to Colorado with my fiancé. We are both in the IT/CS field - mostly web development/design, but I wouldn't mind working with databases or doing systems analysis. Thus, we would need an area that has jobs to offer in this field. And, given that I will be fresh out of college, someplace with a low cost of living is a necessity. We'll be renting first, but we plan to buy a home and start a family in just a few years, so a family-friendly environment is important as well. I don't know much about the housing market in CO, but where I'm from, you can get a pretty nice 4BR/2.5 bath home for $200-250k. Obviously, I don't expect this to be true everywhere else, but I don't want to end up paying $400,000 for a crappy house. My other main concern is safety - I don't want to live in a high-crime area.

Onto perhaps more extraneous factors.. we would like to live somewhere bike-friendly that also has many things to do. I am a foodie, so opportunities to purchase local food and having good restaurants would be a huge plus. A town not too far from a bigger city might be ideal. We're hoping to partake in more outdoorsy activities, so a place with an "active," healthy population would be great.

Based on all of this, are there any places you guys would recommend? I've been living in North Carolina for the past 15 years, and I am just ready for a change. I hate NC's hot, humid summers and I love snow (I've also lived in upstate NY, so I'm not just saying this). All the research I've done on CO seems to indicate that this state may be right up my alley. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM

17,114 posts, read 23,464,032 times
The Denver Tech Center, about 10-12 miles south of downtown Denver is full of tech jobs, but getting hired is always tough.

There are homes in your price range, but we recommend people rent a year to learn the area as there's a lot to offer here.

Job first, then rental, then take it from there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

216 posts, read 370,495 times
I lived in upstate (Rochester) and the snow there was a biatch. The snow in Colorado is definitely different. I actually like the snow here.... drier, powder. But it doesn't hang around in the Front Range, like it does in Upstate, if that's what you're expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehellie View Post
and I love snow (I've also lived in upstate NY, so I'm not just saying this).

Old 01-21-2012, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 3,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Denver Tech Center, about 10-12 miles south of downtown Denver is full of tech jobs, but getting hired is always tough.

There are homes in your price range, but we recommend people rent a year to learn the area as there's a lot to offer here.

Job first, then rental, then take it from there.
In that case, would you recommend any specific suburbs of Denver? We are planning on driving out there in a couple of months to look around, so it would be good to have a place to start. Obviously, we'll find jobs first, but it'll still be nice to get a feel for the area. I would prefer not to live in a neighborhood that has houses very close together with little yard space. Views of the lovely CO landscape would be great as well. Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 AM

175 posts, read 119,906 times
Denver area is good but you might also check Ft. Collins and Boulder(or Erie, Broomfield which are usually cheaper than Boulder). I don't know about web development but there are a lot of tech jobs in Ft. Collins and Boulder and they are right by the mountains and have lots of recreational activities right there. Both towns are college towns but they are both nice areas and you don't have to live right by the college.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM

68,666 posts, read 57,336,925 times
Quote:
In that case, would you recommend any specific suburbs of Denver? We are planning on driving out there in a couple of months to look around, so it would be good to have a place to start. Obviously, we'll find jobs first, but it'll still be nice to get a feel for the area. I would prefer not to live in a neighborhood that has houses very close together with little yard space. Views of the lovely CO landscape would be great as well. Thanks again for your input.
There will be nice suburbs nearby wherever you get the jobs. You might get jobs in two very different areas, meaning you will have to decide whether to live near one or inbetween. Most homes here have smallish yards.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM

2,952 posts, read 3,817,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Denver area is good but you might also check Ft. Collins and Boulder(or Erie, Broomfield which are usually cheaper than Boulder). I don't know about web development but there are a lot of tech jobs in Ft. Collins and Boulder and they are right by the mountains and have lots of recreational activities right there. Both towns are college towns but they are both nice areas and you don't have to live right by the college.
The biggest problem with Ft. Collins is that you're competing with a lot of other newly-minted college grads. Because it's such a great city, a lot of grads stick around and put down roots there.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a job in the Fort, I just think the search would be less frustrating in the Denver-Boulder area.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

10,808 posts, read 17,597,595 times
Personally, I would first look in Co Springs (better quality of life, less traffic, better chance of getting a view, less competition for High Tech jobs (but, of course, fewer of them), closer access to Mtns. )... Denver would be down several choices on my priority list. YMMV

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,953,939 times
Quote:
Hello! I am graduating from college in August and am hoping to move to Colorado with my fiancé. We are both in the IT/CS field - mostly web development/design, but I wouldn't mind working with databases or doing systems analysis.
There's only one place in Colorado where you can find an active job market for IT, and that's the I-25 corridor.

Quote:
Onto perhaps more extraneous factors.. we would like to live somewhere bike-friendly that also has many things to do. I am a foodie, so opportunities to purchase local food and having good restaurants would be a huge plus. A town not too far from a bigger city might be ideal. We're hoping to partake in more outdoorsy activities, so a place with an "active," healthy population would be great.
Given your criteria, I'd recommend Littleton or even some of the western suburbs of Denver.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 AM

236 posts, read 200,711 times
Boulder is very beautiful I agree... but everyone surrounding it calls it "Liberal Land" come to think of it I did have much more fun in the Springs area, and it has the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado