U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM

28 posts, read 59,606 times

Advertisements

Well good news today! My husbands doctor says he can handle high elevations so I'm heading to Colorado in June. Now the real planning begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM

18,885 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbiemay View Post
Well good news today! My husbands doctor says he can handle high elevations so I'm heading to Colorado in June. Now the real planning begins.
Yeah...I was expected to have no problem, either.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM

If he starts having problems we will backtrack to a lower elevation. I think its doable. What about the Great Sand Dunes, worth seeing?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbiemay View Post
If he starts having problems we will backtrack to a lower elevation. I think its doable. What about the Great Sand Dunes, worth seeing?
Sand Dunes are neat to see. There's a visitor center that explains it all and in June there is a creek that's full of cold snowmelt and flows along one of the Dunes; it's shallow and neat to wade in. The Dunes can be up to 600 feet high and you can walk up them, either alone or as part of a tour led by a park ranger, but the sand can be VERY hot due to the brilliant sunlight. The nearby town of Alamosa has some very good motels and food, not to mention the Rio Grande Scenic RR tourist train.

If you are down as far as Alamosa, and if time and budget permit, you gotta take in the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge RR and the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR. If you go to Durango, CO, I suggest the historic General Palmer Hotel, and in Chama, NM, the Gandy Dancer B&B.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-30-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM

Thank you Mike from back east you are a wealth of information!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

472 posts, read 666,466 times
Take the Amtrak from Denver to Glenwood Springs, overnight in Glenwood Springs or a night. Or two nights and rent a car and explore the Roaring Fork valley (between Glenwood Springs/Aspen.)

I've lived here for years and did this for the first time last fall, and absolutely loved it. It's about five hours each way, with a dining car, viewing car, other friendly travelers - and you meet many different people rather than a bunch all gathered together for a tourist ride.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM

The trip is over we didn't do the train ride but we certainly put some miles on the car 3600, glad it was a rental. Elevation was not an issue for my husband but it was for me, that was surprising. My breathing was shallow, headache and other symptoms. It was well worth it!!! I loved it and would love to visit again.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,479,129 times
[
If you are down as far as Alamosa, and if time and budget permit, you gotta take in the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge RR and the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR. If you go to Durango, CO, I suggest the historic General Palmer Hotel, and in Chama, NM, the Gandy Dancer B&B.[/quote]

Great train ride I take every year but the Grandy Dancer B&B is now a private residence. There is a really neat B & B across the street from the train station though.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,575,619 times
I only ever have issues with altitude when I sleep (or try to) someplace too high. 9,000' seems to be my magic number. Above that, I'm fine for a day or so. But if I stay overnight, after not being able to sleep for a night or two, I feel achy, no energy, horrible lower digestive issues, etc. It lasts about a day, day & a half and then I'm able to sleep and feel well again. The body just seems to adjust.

Happened to me in Telluride a few years back. Down in town for a bluegrass festival during the day & evenings (8,500') and sleeping up at Mountain Village (9,500') at night. Since then, I've visited, slept, eaten, and stayed over in various locations below 9,000 feet and had no issues. I spent an afternoon in Silverton (9,312') last month, in the brewery on Greene St while my wife & sister in-law shopped. Then dinner and back down to Durango. So I'm good for a day or so above 9,000' but if I stay overnight, I just need to be aware that it takes a day or two for my body to adjust and I may feel like crap until it does.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
General rule of thumb is to go up for your daily activity, and down to sleep, preferably about 1,000-2,000 feet down to sleep, and you'll adjust much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or