U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I work for a company that will allow me to relocate (I have to pay for relocating) to Colorado, I just have to be within one hour from a “major” airport (I have to do a lot of traveling)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’ve been spoiled by the California weather but I’m tired of the high cost of living in the Bay area and would like to live somewhere that is more affordable (< $500K homes). My wife is Asian and we have one child now attending 5th grade & another child (Adult) that has a degree in Social work but no work. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have a long “wish list” for what we hope to have in this ideal place that we would call home and hope to find something in the Colorado area. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Obviously low crime rate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]must have excellent schools[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]good year round weather[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Far from any factory or other industrial polluting areas.[/SIZE]
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 AM

1,186 posts, read 3,925,583 times
If you are spoiled by the weather in CA and are looking for "good year round weather" in CO, you might as well write CO off. The weather anywhere in CO will not compare to most of CA. We moved from San Diego, but in no way did we expect to have the same weather. I kinda like the fact that the weather here changes, a lot.
Stay in CA and pay extra for the nice weather. If you move here expecting "good year round weather', you'll end up moving back anyway.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

19,417 posts, read 35,317,420 times
If you do come here, you need to be in the Denver metro area, to include Boulder and its environs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
17,805 posts, read 33,182,518 times
Bennett, Strasburg, Wray (since DEN is halfway to KS, but this is far from factories / traffic.)

Weather will be slightly different.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,262,511 times
You could be anywhere in Boulder or the Denver metro area, except Commerce City. I suggest Centennial or SE Aurora (i.e., Tallyns Reach). Don't know what your expectation of weather is, though. What do you consider to be good year round weather? There have been other threads discussing weather in Colorado that I suggest you read, but you must know that nowhere in the state is going to be warm in the winter.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
I was mistaken when I wrote that weather is a key factor, we would love to live in an area that has 4 distinct seasons, I just don't think I could live somewhere that has rain 350 days in the year or that is 90 degrees 9 months out of the year.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM

9,810 posts, read 17,952,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardray1 View Post
I was mistaken when I wrote that weather is a key factor, we would love to live in an area that has 4 distinct seasons, I just don't think I could live somewhere that has rain 350 days in the year or that is 90 degrees 9 months out of the year.
Colorado can sometimes give you 4 seasons all in one day. Colorado is a 180 degree inverse from coastal California with it's moderate temps and predictable weather patterns.

As I have pointed out many times to newbies to Colorado, winter is the dominate weather pattern in Colorado. Colorado has the lowest average year round temperature of any state.

The mountains drive a lot of the weather and a lot of it depends at what elevation you live. 90% of the population lives on the I-25 corridor on the prairie with a view of the mountains. And they do that because there is plenty of flat, empty land to build on and the weather is better.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM

5,596 posts, read 19,202,949 times
There's only one major airport in the state-- DIA. So an hour from DIA means you'll be living in the Denver metro area-- maybe as far away as Boulder or Longmont or Castle Rock absolute max. Really, this post belongs in the Denver forum, not the CO statewide forum. There are plenty of places in the Denver area with good schools, low crime, non industrial, and with homes <$500k. For starters, I'd look at SE Aurora-- this an area like what you describe, and reasonably close to the airport:

Southeast Aurora, CO -- PHOTO TOUR

The weather, OTOH, may or may be your cup of tea. You'd have to visit a few times, both during the winter and summer, to find out.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,258,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardray1 View Post
I work for a company that will allow me to relocate (I have to pay for relocating) to Colorado, I just have to be within one hour from a “major” airport (I have to do a lot of traveling)

There's only one "major" airport in Colorado and that's DEN. But almost any other regional airport in the state is within an hour flight of DEN and that includes the small towns on the western slope which have two regional airports (Montrose and Grand Junction.) Of course flights are more expensive out of those.

Quote:
I’ve been spoiled by the California weather but I’m tired of the high cost of living in the Bay area and would like to live somewhere that is more affordable (< $500K homes).

If you're transfering with your job and keeping your California salary, you'll be in heaven.

Quote:
good year round weather
yeah.... that's the thing about Colorado .... you have to adjust your definition of "good weather" coming from California. Basically anywhere you are in Colorado you have cold, dry and sometimes very snowy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado