U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM

28 posts, read 126,200 times

Advertisements

I am an empty nester considering moving to Durango with my 2 horses. I only saw 2 part time positions available online at Mercy Regional. I hope those aren't the only opportunities available to me in the area. Does anyone know of any other leads I could check into? My interests are varied from Cardiology to Home Hospice. Thanks for reading,

Mich in Mich

PS I will be out in Oct. to visit and look for property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Mercy has just opened a large hospital in Durango and I know they are hiring. There are medical centers and surgical centers in Durango too that hire nurses. There is a new surgical center that recently opened as well, Animas Surgical Center, not to mention nursing homes, medical complexes and so forth. You won't have any trouble getting a job in Durango.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Thank you for the reply. I plan to visit in Oct. and I will bring my resume. You have given me hope!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 PM

393 posts, read 1,712,890 times
mich let me know what u think of the area........I am single/almost 50 and want a good quality of life for my retirement years! But, don't want to go broke in housing and still need employement opportunities.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM

You are welcome MichinMich. Also I heard from a friend in Farmington, New Mexico, a city about 50 miles south of Durango, is hiring big time at their hospital, with a couple thousand dollars sign on bonus, so you might try there too and when you can get on at Mercy, go there later, if you don't get in right away. Regardless, you have a great chance to get hired in the Durango-Farmington area. Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM

Thanks again. I plan to ask a lot of questions when I get there. Sillygal what area of employment are you in so I can be more focused?

Also wondering- is water an issue? I don't want to be high and dry. Also does anyone know about hay availability or if grazing is adequate at some time of the year.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:14 AM

MichinMich, there is more hay in the farm and ranch towns around Durango than any place I have ever seen. Durango proper doesn't, but there are a lot of small ranch towns around Durango and hay will not be a problem. Cortez has a large amount of horses and you will see them all over the place, out in pastures and such. There is plenty of water in Durango, but as you go toward the New Mexico border, it gets more desert so that may be a problem in some areas out that way. There are creeks, rivers, streams and lakes all over La Plata County and Montezuma County, where Durango and Cortez are located. I would pay an inspector to make sure the well has plenty of water, because in certain areas like Rafter J, water can be harder to get. Mostly though in those counties, water isn't an issue, just in certain areas.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:11 PM

75 posts, read 234,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
MichinMich, there is more hay in the farm and ranch towns around Durango than any place I have ever seen.
Is this really true? More than any other place in CO?
(Curious because I'm interested in looking at some horse property there very soon)

Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 AM

Abcde, you will see more hay trucks then you will care to ever see! Yes the area is hay and horse country. There are many hay farms in the area. Florida Mesa, Bayfield, Cortez, Mancos, all over the surrounding area of Durango is horse country. I imagine the horse population in La Plata County and nearby Montezuma County would equal many populations of humans in towns.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 PM

75 posts, read 234,301 times
Default Mountain lions and bears...

I read in a website for Durango newcomers to keep livestock inside a barn (or enclosed shed) at night because of the possibilty of preying mountain lions. Is this really true? Does everyone bring their livestock (and all dogs, cats, chickens, etc.) in at night? Is this just for the rural areas or every where?

My horse can't stand being in a barn, gets claustrophobic, and the goat usually gets to roam around where ever he wants right now. Same with the cat - don't think he can stand staying inside all night. (The dogs are fine, they sleep inside.) But I would hate to have my pets become appetizers for the mountain lions - am I being too paranoid?

Last edited by abcde; 09-18-2006 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or