Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times

Advertisements

Have you thought of somewhere else in the East like Virignia or North Carolina? There are tons of reasonably priced woodsy locales within a reasonable distance of job centers there. Plus you'd be closer to the Northeast for visits back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have you thought of somewhere else in the East like Virignia or North Carolina? There are tons of reasonably priced woodsy locales within a reasonable distance of job centers there. Plus you'd be closer to the Northeast for visits back.
Agree, the Shenandoah Valley of VA is one of most gorgeous places anywhere.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,093 times
When it comes to giving your kids all that they deserve, keep in mind rural areas do not generally have the same educational opportunities as urban areas. For example, honors classes & AP classes that are taken for granted in urban areas may not be available in smaller districts. I would also look at areas in East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, or Upstate South Carolina. In those areas you can buy a good chunk of land at a reasonable price, be in or near National Forests and still be near cities and employment opportunities.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 AM

236 posts, read 479,282 times
anywhere west of I25, 30+ miles.

Nederland comes to mind... had a great time there, gas (on) the mountain was $2.85 with no ethanol added. I believe I got 400 miles out of that tank in the mountains too!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM

11 posts, read 66,735 times
Hi everyone! Wow...Thanks to you all SO much for the time you took to write all that! Any bit of info we can get for a feel of the area is so GREATLY appreciated. In comparing cost of living/average salary info...I think we might get more for our money in Montana..It's such a tremendously daunting, intimidating and overwhelming task to try to pinpoint the best location for your family without really knowing an area. What we've learned so far, we've learned from helpful people like yourselves and info that Chambers of Commerce have sent us...along with all those wonderfully contradictive websites and blogs you find all over the net. Thanks again SO much! We're going to keep CO in mind, and even if we decide not to pursue it for a living situation - I honestly can NOT WAIT to vist. You have what is probably the most gorgeous state in the nation.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Treat everything you read from the Chamber Of Commerce like the words of a politician!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Treat everything you read from the Chamber Of Commerce like the words of a politician!
Seriously, LMAO!!! Sage words Cosmic!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2goWest View Post
Hi everyone! Wow...Thanks to you all SO much for the time you took to write all that! Any bit of info we can get for a feel of the area is so GREATLY appreciated. In comparing cost of living/average salary info...I think we might get more for our money in Montana..It's such a tremendously daunting, intimidating and overwhelming task to try to pinpoint the best location for your family without really knowing an area. What we've learned so far, we've learned from helpful people like yourselves and info that Chambers of Commerce have sent us...along with all those wonderfully contradictive websites and blogs you find all over the net. Thanks again SO much! We're going to keep CO in mind, and even if we decide not to pursue it for a living situation - I honestly can NOT WAIT to vist. You have what is probably the most gorgeous state in the nation.
Be careful with Montana in terms of cost of living and average salary. Missoula was on our relocation list for several reasons, one being that my sister and her husband live there. When we toured several hospitals (my husband is a nurse) we were shocked at how little the pay was compared with the cost of living. Basically, he was offered a position in Bend that paid $11 more per hour than the equivalent position in Missoula (which also has 2 hospitals compared with Bend's one). I also would have taken a significant pay cut as a teacher in MT. We actually found housing prices to be about the same or a little more than Bend. Most of MT is very rural, so you'd need to live near one of the larger population centers (Billings, Bozeman and Missoula are the big 3, also possibly Helena and Kalispell) and the pay is very low.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
IIRC, the CoC community is the farm system for politicians.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

236 posts, read 479,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree, the Shenandoah Valley of VA is one of most gorgeous places anywhere.
maybe for a visit... not mentioning it is one of four commonwealths in this great Nation.

Minimum wage was the same in CoSp and I was buying $7 steaks that run $14 here in Safeway, our gas prices are low right now too $3.47 to $3.57 Gal Reg w/10% ethanol... burns really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado