U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times

Advertisements

Geology major... near city but not in city, non- (('borning town')) access to welding / fab jobs...
ez...choice(s)
Boulder / Golden

remember.... you didn't say CHEAP (But still probably the best choices, just get as close as you can afford.)

Pueblo has more welding, but more welders too and much cheaper wages.

Boulder / Niwot / Golden you will be able to find a NICE 'high skilled / high paying' welding job. Just need to be better than the average bear. Not too many people are welders anymore. A good one has opportunites. Look to light-duty' industrial/material handling / plant maint, government labs fabrication

(Like nrel)http://www.nrel.gov/
or
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/

Might consider Ft Collins too, (if oil field / heavier fabwelding job is needed) High Tech jobs are tough there, as many laid off engineers from Kodak, HP, ... but welder might have opportunity. I will suspect YOU will like Boulder better.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM

22,530 posts, read 10,420,275 times
How about the Colorado School Of Mines in Golden, a suburb of Denver?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,100,106 times
I think you need to figure out what your school options are first.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM

5,839 posts, read 9,485,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellylopez View Post
thinking about moving to colorado springs, denver, boulder, or aurora but cant decide. any comments or advice that will help me figure out what place is best for me i wld like to knw im from fresno ca and looking for a change
Boulder is a small, liberal, alternative/hippy town with a big university.
Denver is a typical medium sized city. Aurora is basically part of Denver.
Colorado Spring is a small city with conservative attitudes and lots of people who work in the military.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 21,941 times
Thanks everybody for your input iv been doing & still doing research & i narrowed it down to boulder and denver ill be visiting colorado next month so hopefully i can make up my mind

Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,695 times
Denver: Good, athlectic, lively :P... Colorado Springs: YAWN! n... Aurora: Super Sketchy, quite a risk :/

Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM

20,912 posts, read 39,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethlaflamingo View Post
Denver: Good, athlectic, lively :P... Colorado Springs: YAWN! n... Aurora: Super Sketchy, quite a risk :/
No, only those parts of Aurora near the Denver city line are considered sketchy; the southern parts are especially nice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM

98 posts, read 193,548 times
We moved from the Fresno area (Reedley) to Fort Collins over the summer. We really like Fort Collins. We visited Boulder recently and absolutely hate it. Very crowded and liberal. Not to our liking at all.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
Talking Colorado Bound: Check Out Fort Collins and CSU

Hello. I have lived in Colorado for the last 12 years and getting ready to relocate to Fresno (for a job). I highly recommend Fort Collins, CO. I lived in Fort Collins on and off for 8 years. I now live in SW Colorado. My daughter still lives there. I attended Colorado State University as did my daughter (BS & MS in chemistry) my husband (BS in Physics) and my son-in-law is currently getting his teaching degree and Masters in languages. I have attended or worked at 4 universities and CSU is at the top of my list. I was pre-nursing student and I thought my professors were the best. We did not get TAs teaching our lectures and the professors were always available and there for their office hours. CSU has a great diversity of national and international student population. There is always something going on at the school: sports, plays, movies, international speakers, and many student clubs. The school has a great student health center as well. I have a friend who was awarded his Masters in Geology here. You might also be able to get your Ph.D here as well. CSU also is a big ag school. The vet school at CSU is rated #2 in the country.

Fort Collins is a college town with a good mix of "regular" people. HP is located here. If you want night light, Old Town is the place to hang out. If you are into mircobrews and pubs:Fort Collins is the home to New Belgium Ale, Fat Tire, Odell's, Fort Collins Brewing and other smaller brew pubs. There are lots of parks and bike paths that go through town. Public transportation: The bus runs all over Fort Collins and it is included in your student fees. There are 2 public bus terminals one is on campus and the other is in Old Town.

The City of Fort Collins is large but not as large as the Metro Denver Area. Boulder is wicked expensive to live in. You can get out of town pretty quickly by going North, east and west. There is great hiking and skiing within a couple of hours up in Summit County and up the Poudre Canyon.

If you want to go real mountain town, look up Fort Lewis in Durango and Western State in Gunnison. I am not sure they have the master's program that you need.

So do you have any pointers for me moving to Fresno and great neighborhoods to live in I would appreciate it. I will be working around the Tower District (Besides Run away!)

Good luck

Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
I agree with you 100% about Boulder. Too crowded too expensive! I respond about Fort Collins probably at the same time you posted yours. I think the Fort is a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or