U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alba2383 View Post
I read about the Pueblo tech park, something about a guy in las vagas funding it, however with the economy they're on hold. Possibly taking 50 years before it's built. It would be such a perfect place for a tech park too!! What a bummer, even with the economy down I think it would be a boost. Ultimately I would like to be in a Pueblo type area, however with my husband's job most likely end up in a urban area (unless he gets a government contract).
I agree with you 100% about the tech park and its location as it will be on prime land between Pueblo and Colorado Springs. One good thing is the housing crisis hit Pueblo less then most cities as the prices of houses only dropped 3.2% and have already rebounded. Hopefully that will cause developments like Pueblo Springs Ranch with the tech park to start up sooner rather then later. Keep a eye out you never know and if it does start back up I will be posting about it on city data........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Colorado Springs has more shopping then Pueblo since they are a larger town but Pueblo...
What? Colorado Springs is not a town like Pueblo. It's 6 times the size and it's what we should refer to as a city.

If you've got job concerns, don't move to Pueblo. I like Pueblo ok because I have a job and family out here. Without that... there's just not enough charm to spare... imo.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What? Colorado Springs is not a town like Pueblo. It's 6 times the size and it's what we should refer to as a city.
Technically Pueblo and Colorado Springs are cities. I sometimes refer to them as towns but I don't mean anything by it.

As far as population. The city of Pueblo is about 110,000 people and the city of Colorado Springs is 416,000 people so that is about 4 times the size not 6 times. Even if you look at the MSA. The Pueblo MSA is about 160,000 people and the Colorado Springs MSA is about 645,000 people again about 4 times the size. I just thought I would point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If you've got job concerns, don't move to Pueblo. I like Pueblo ok because I have a job and family out here. Without that... there's just not enough charm to spare... imo.
Agreed especially if you are looking in the IT field.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,660 times
I was hoping for my husband to land a job in Colorado Springs and or go to school, with the G.I. Bill and eventually move on to Denver for the bigger bucks. Even if we decided to move back to Long Island after the degree at least we had 4 years of peace and quiet.

As far as population goes... Considering the size of Long Island being roughly speaking 100miles x 30miles = to a little over 7 million people... I'll be glad to move to a place were there are only 110,000 people and just mountains in the horizon. I can barely see a 1/2 a mile down the road anywhere around here.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I was hoping for my husband to land a job in Colorado Springs and or go to school, with the G.I. Bill and eventually move on to Denver for the bigger bucks. Even if we decided to move back to Long Island after the degree at least we had 4 years of peace and quiet.
Then you might want to look at CSU Pueblo as its a great school and is very affordable. As far as going to college is "affordable".

Quote:
As far as population goes... Considering the size of Long Island being roughly speaking 100miles x 30miles = to a little over 7 million people... I'll be glad to move to a place were there are only 110,000 people and just mountains in the horizon. I can barely see a 1/2 a mile down the road anywhere around here.
I see where you are coming from but get ready to laugh because Pueblo is the "large" city in the Pueblo region and will be referred to as that by many people here.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,290 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

I see where you are coming from but get ready to laugh because Pueblo is the "large" city in the Pueblo region and will be referred to as that by many people here.
Don't worry, Alba. If you are coming from Long Island, the last thing you'll ever do is mistake Pueblo for a large city. You will find that everything is much cheaper. The setting is decent, the town has come a long way in 15 years, and as Joss said, CSU-Pueblo may be a viable option for your husband's education. For entertainment/shopping, Denver and Colorado Springs are a short drive away, as well as numerous outdoor recreational activities in the mountains.

Meanwhile there are some drawbacks to the place. It still has a long way to go. Crime is above average for Colorado, don't even go into the SE part of town, not even to satisfy any morbid curiosities you may have, the job market is limited, and especially for someone coming from a place like Long Island, you will probably notice an extremely provincial mentality prevails in Pueblo.

Still, even with these negatives, it's important to acknowledge that no place is perfect. We generally tend to learn to live with the flaws of our communities while waiting for/working on solutions. If you can accept a place like Pueblo for what it is, I have no doubt that you will thoroughly enjoy the place.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 84,606 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Good things are better than bad things. A friend of mine went to go see them (Villas) but if you look it up online that say random things, and ultimately got a 19% review. I like the location of it because my friend lives in Pueblo West. Having two dogs I need a pet friendly area. It's only a few minutes from I-25, my husband is used to commuting roughly 30-40 minutes to his office so I was hoping that it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm debating on living in Pueblo or Colorado springs, seems like all the IT jobs out there are in Colorado Springs and most of Pueblo is shopping and small shops. When I visited I didn't get to see the city of Pueblo so can't say much.
Do you guys know Colorado springs areas at all? Or any of you work in Colorado springs and commute?

My husband is trying to convince me that Pueblo is way colder than LI. I keep trying to tell him that it's more mild than he thinks.
Well I make the commute daily from Pueblo, to Fort Carson Co... Now from my front door, to my job, which is way out in the woods of Fort Carson, is about 49miles one way. Its not a bad drive, but if you have to go any futher than exit 132 off I-25, then I wouldnt really know. About a month ago I thought about maybe relocating up to colorado spring, when my lease is up, but I cant see trading the peaceful & hometown feel of Pueblo, for the fuss, congestion of traffic, overpopulated feel of the springs. Only perk would be that, I would lose the commute, but then again, when calculating the time it would take me to get home during rush hour, I probably would make up for it. I also looked at the villas, and the apartment up in eagleridge, again a little better on the commute, but it takes me away from the downtown/PCC area.. Now I'm just trying to find a way to have my cake and eat it too....

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM

My husband is on the fence about moving because of the fact that it will cost us a bit to move we're looking roughly a little under $3000 between renting a moving truck the gas/food/deposits to even get to Colorado. I'm hoping to eventually get there.
Long island is just too crowded, my friend's husband was complaining about the "traffic" during lunch time/dinner time around Pueblo. I laughed at him because I'm used to bumper to bumper being call traffic and a little congestion called normal.
It's a big move going anywhere outside of what you already know. And as far as crime I looked it up on this crime website. (google 'crime map' pueblo, or any other city) I know that there is crime everywhere and more in one place than another but I think there are ways to prevent or protect yourself. Have insurance for theft on home and car, or locking your doors, or living and being in a safer place. Such as what IKNOWFTBLL said don't go anywhere near SE Pueblo. There aren't any places I wouldn't suggest to go on Long Island however there are places you definitely don't want to live in.
Josseppie: CSU is the college I was looking into for my husband. I think that there will be less distractions and a great place to go to school. They are one of the top 25 colleges that are veteran friendly. I really want my husband to finish school now, we don't have kids, we don't have major obligations, and should finish school before life gets crazy with kids.

I've been reading about poisonous snakes and large insects mainly rattle snakes, brown recluse, and even tarantulas. Do you guys ever encounter these at all in pueblo?
My friend in Pueblo West caught quite a few brown recluse this summer. bleh I hate when I get the pictures on my phone from her lol.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
My husband is on the fence about moving because of the fact that it will cost us a bit to move we're looking roughly a little under $3000 between renting a moving truck the gas/food/deposits to even get to Colorado. ...
If you have a lot of stuff (or family heirloom furniture) to bring with you, then I guess you need a truck, but if you don't have all that much, it may be cheaper to sell it all back there, drive out in your car, and buy new / newer stuff here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you have a lot of stuff (or family heirloom furniture) to bring with you, then I guess you need a truck, but if you don't have all that much, it may be cheaper to sell it all back there, drive out in your car, and buy new / newer stuff here.
We thought of that, but the places I've checked seemed to all have pretty crappy stuff other than buying brand new furniture. I guess we'll see. We definitely have more stuff than what we can fit into a car though. I think if we do the move we will be renting a truck and hauling a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or