Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times

Advertisements

Well, hubby and I have decided to quit vacationing to Colorado and just go ahead and see about moving there. Why not live someplace that we love? (We are looking at leaving Houston and definitely do NOT love it here.)

His ability to secure a good job will be the defining factor in chosing the city we end up in. Husband is a mechanical engineer. Most of the jobs/employers he would look at do not necessarily post openings on job-search websites, and it's hard to just pull names from thin air to search their individual company sites. We have done some of our own homeowrk and located the companies listed below. Any feedback on those and employers/job security is appreciated. Likewise, any ideas of other major emplyers to add to the list, so that we can keep our eyes open, would be very mush appreciated.

Thanks!

-Emerson
-Jacobs
-Worley Parsons
-Northrup Grumman
-Lockheed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,683,287 times
I would Scour Golden / Boulder for jobs at the many labs and mechanically techy contractors.

NREL, would be one of my preferred options.

Supposedly there is a NASA incubator lab going into the old HP plant in Loveland. That would be another great spot with decent 'fun' and significant Mech Eng positions.

There are plenty of engineering activities in the PNW (Seattle / Portland around Boeing, if you are into working for the Big Boys). The cream of the crop (of ME jobs + nice recreational environment in PNW) is in White Salmon, WA Insitu (now a Boeing entity).

Colorado is a bit challenged for engineering employment, as MANY ex-engineers with HP, Kodak, Storage Tech, ... decided to stay in CO after their jobs were axed. I know hundreds who are still 'looking' for eng positions, while doing odd jobs to feed the family (10+ yrs later).

I did the ME thing for about 30 yrs, and really enjoyed living and working as Engineer in Singapore (the best choice if you have kids that need an education), France, and Spain (best to be single, or really into late night culture). I took my family, they had more fun / value than I, but it sure beats working in USA (for awhile, not forever).

Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM

232 posts, read 801,985 times
I'm not sure about these days, but back when I used to be an M.E., Agilent Technologies (in Loveland) was a solid company to work for. I've also had friends who interned at Bell Aerospace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR76 View Post
Well, hubby and I have decided to quit vacationing to Colorado and just go ahead and see about moving there. Why not live someplace that we love? (We are looking at leaving Houston and definitely do NOT love it here.)

His ability to secure a good job will be the defining factor in chosing the city we end up in. Husband is a mechanical engineer. Most of the jobs/employers he would look at do not necessarily post openings on job-search websites, and it's hard to just pull names from thin air to search their individual company sites. We have done some of our own homeowrk and located the companies listed below. Any feedback on those and employers/job security is appreciated. Likewise, any ideas of other major emplyers to add to the list, so that we can keep our eyes open, would be very mush appreciated.

Thanks!

-Emerson
-Jacobs
-Worley Parsons
-Northrup Grumman
-Lockheed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado