U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM

308 posts, read 296,572 times
Default The Militarization of Southeastern Colorado

A proposed Comabt Aviation Brigade out of Ft Carson (and including the ever-expanding Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site on Hwy 350) is the latest in the US Army's attempts to turn southeastern Colorado into a behemoth military training site.

This situation cannot be trivialized by labeling it a local/regional issue that will not ultimately take its toll on the entire state of Colorado. Nor is it appropriate to improperly suggest that opponents of the ongoing landgrab do not support our men and women of the US military.

For those not familiar with this critical issue and its potential grand-scale environmental, agricultural, economic, and historical/ cultural impacts, you can find background here:

Pinon Canyon Expansion Opposition Coalition

and here:

not 1 more acre!: Home

This article in the Colorado Springs Independent reports on a public meeting January 26:

Combat aviation brigade gets slammed | IndyBlog

The Trinidad Times-Independent has this article on a similar meeting held January 23...

Opponents of expansion decry study

...and also this Op-Ed from a Las Animas County resident:

Government waging war on region

If you live in Colorado or are considering relocating to Colorado, you would be well-served to brush up on the facts of this long-simmering situation.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:48 AM

9,692 posts, read 11,346,573 times
It's always hilarious to me how people always want the benefit of everything in society but don't want it in their backyard or municipality.

I grew up around US Army Aviation. I miss the sound and sight of helicopters in the air. I lived right next to some of the busiest heliports in the world with 24hr traffic. Unless you are right across the street from a heliport, you'll rarely notice.

Overall it's just not that big of a deal. With the airspace involved and numbers of helicopters, it's a minimal impact.

Today's helicopters with rigid blades like the AH-64 and UH-60 are very quiet compared to the old UH-1 Hueys with it's flexible blades that would whap whap whap the air when slowing down.

Out at Eagle Airport in Eagle Colorado near Vail, the US Army's High Altitude training site has been there for over 20 years. Nobody seems to know that or notices too much that even exists. Yet they take off and land and fly all over the Rockies all day.

I read all the links posted. It's the usual anti American, anti military surrender monkeys that would gladly support terrorists attacking the USA(we deserve it, so they say) and the usual enviroterrorists that don't want any human impact on the land for any purpose at all. No defense, no food, no energy, no shelter.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM

308 posts, read 296,572 times
I respect your right to speak your mind, wanneroo. Thanks for checking out the links.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,374,514 times
I'm with Wanneroo.
That area if the state already has the air force base a large area for ground troops to train whats another ("Several hundred acres of ground ",) a maximum security prison in Cannon city and another prison in Buena vista.

Looks like a lot of scrub brush to me?
It's not like they want to use the wilderness located in the mountains.

NINBYS

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,235,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's always hilarious to me how people always want the benefit of everything in society but don't want it in their backyard or municipality.

I grew up around US Army Aviation. I miss the sound and sight of helicopters in the air. I lived right next to some of the busiest heliports in the world with 24hr traffic. Unless you are right across the street from a heliport, you'll rarely notice.

Overall it's just not that big of a deal. With the airspace involved and numbers of helicopters, it's a minimal impact.

Today's helicopters with rigid blades like the AH-64 and UH-60 are very quiet compared to the old UH-1 Hueys with it's flexible blades that would whap whap whap the air when slowing down.

Out at Eagle Airport in Eagle Colorado near Vail, the US Army's High Altitude training site has been there for over 20 years. Nobody seems to know that or notices too much that even exists. Yet they take off and land and fly all over the Rockies all day.

I read all the links posted. It's the usual anti American, anti military surrender monkeys that would gladly support terrorists attacking the USA(we deserve it, so they say) and the usual enviroterrorists that don't want any human impact on the land for any purpose at all. No defense, no food, no energy, no shelter.
I was down in that area for the first time last May. I agree with you. I've read the websites before...and did again. Nobody wants military installations in their back yard, but that's the beauty of this area -- very few backyards. Omitting Trinidad and LaJunta themselves, what is the population of the unincorporated settlements from Timpas south to Model? I've lived near military bases all around Washington, D.C. and northern Virginia, including Andrews Air Force Base, and there have been virtually no issues. In fact, for the most part, the bases were pretty good neighbors.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM

6,234 posts, read 3,447,794 times
We are on the brink of some pretty big defense cutbacks, including personnel numbers, base closures, and funding cuts. My guess is that SE Colorado is safe for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM

829 posts, read 1,025,697 times
Having grown up and lived in Colorado Springs most of my life, I'm used to living adjacent to military bases. I think the large military presence, while it may have some negatives, does more good than it does harm.

I do feel bad for the farmers and ranchers who would be directly impacted by further expansion in the Pinon Canon area though.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 AM

15,621 posts, read 9,308,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
We are on the brink of some pretty big defense cutbacks, including personnel numbers, base closures, and funding cuts. My guess is that SE Colorado is safe for the foreseeable future.
That is also my expectation. It's not beyond possible that the brigade expected won't come after all. The DOD is cutting from 45 to 37 brigades, and we won't know which ones for some time. Every Senator and Congressman is fighting to have the cut somewhere else.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-30-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,464,715 times
With all the training flights over Security, Widefield and Fountain it's just a matter of time till one crashes.
Seemed like every couple of months last year there was an incident (engine failure) where an emergency landing was made. Since the helicopters came in last year seems they moved the range closer to the Springs. It's much noisier now. RP

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM

444 posts, read 237,037 times
I always though that turning Pueblo into a giant MOUT site would be a fantastic use of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado