U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 24,597 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

This is my first time posting in the forums. I currently live in Western NY and am planning on moving out to Colorado at some point in the near future. I am trying to figure out what part I would like to move to. I have been looking around the Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs area, as well as a few more remote places out near Dillon etc... If anyone could provide me with some advice or insight I would really appreciate it! Here is a little about myself and what I am looking for.

I am 25, male, single and not looking to start a family or settle down anytime soon. I want to go out there for the atmosphere mostly. I will rent a place with a friend, not looking to spend more than $800/month on rent total. I love snowboarding so want to be fairly close to the mountains while still being near a city and some civilization.

I will have a job lined up but can do it from anywhere and will look for a part-time job once there until I find a cool place I want to work. I am big into biking, running, hiking, and most outdoors activities. My background is mostly in sports, fitness, some business, and sales.

I don't know if this is enough info, if not perhaps I have some more thinking to do! So I guess a place for younger people, with job opportunities, mountains, clean air, and friendly people! Any input is appreciated, thanks!

I should also mention that I am hoping to come out in mid May and am planning to have about $10K by then. Does this seem like a sufficient, feasible plan? Also I would prefer somewhere with sun, that has warm summers if that even exists!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-29-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Yes, with a $10k grubstake and $800/rent you can exist for a while as you look for work of some kind.

Denver metro area is the place; most jobs are there, decent access to the mountains, and lots of outdoor stuff in/around Denver.

Colorado Springs might work too; it's at the base of the mountains with a good deal of local outdoor stuff.

Finding work is always an issue anywhere, though Denver should prove better.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
The first thing to understand is that summer heat doesn't mix with a high, dry, mountain climate that would support snowboarding.

So if you live in the mountains you have to get that winter is what you are going to be dealing with most of the time and in a place like Summit County where Dillon is and in the summer at night it is still in the 30's. There is about a 3-4 month window up there where summer time activities are in motion.

The best thing to do is to live down on the prairie on the Front Range in Denver or Boulder or Colorado Springs. You will find that warmer in summer and you can always go up and visit the mountains when you want to for sporting activities. You'll also have your best selection of jobs, living options, shopping and things to do. You can enjoy all that those cities have to offer with snowboarding 2-3 hours away.

Living in a ski town like Vail or support town for ski towns like Dillon, is an option, it's what I chose to do at that age and I don't regret it.

The upside:
1. You are right there in the mountains for ready access to skiing and other winter sports in winter and in the summer there are plenty of sporting activities available
2. There are plenty of tourist oriented activities and restaurants/bars available
3. There is a constant turnover of tourists and people that work there which makes for a great way to meet a lot of new people
4. You are right there in the middle of a lot of scenery

The downside:

1. High cost of living and lack of affordable housing options
2. Winter is the dominate pattern with winter weather occurring 8-9 months of the year
3. The constant turnover of people gets old. Most people last at most 2 ski seasons before the "real world" kicks and they get a real job elsewhere
4. Six months of the year is slammed busy and much of the rest of the year is dead with no tourist activity or business going on. Most people have 2-3 jobs to make ends meet.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,908,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlickness View Post
I should also mention that I am hoping to come out in mid May and am planning to have about $10K by then. Does this seem like a sufficient, feasible plan?
totally feasible. It just comes down to whether you want to live in a small town that's closer to the slopes, or a bigger city where you have to drive longer to get to them.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,204,831 times
When I was younger like you, it was Steamboat Springs, although you may have to share an apartment with a third person for your $400 per person rental amount. Steamboat has it all: snowboarding, biking, hiking, running. Young folks exist there with several jobs but it is a fun place.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank you all for the responses! I am definitely a growing fan of the site. The more I think about it, the more I am sure I will choose somewhere near or in a city setting, no to choose where! I really like the idea of Steamboat Springs, thanks bongo, those are all of the things I am looking to do activity wise I will have to look more into it.

Thanks for taking the time Wanneroo, you definitely laid out what I needed to hear. I like winter don't get me wrong but being a person who is greatly affected by the weather, I don't think I am cut out for that much winter, even being from Buffalo! Enough is enough sometimes. Also, as much as I love outdoor activities, the "real world" is already starting to kick me in the butt so to speak and getting a job, well I should say a good sustainable job, is a priority so as much as I would love to be a mountain dweller, just not in the cards right now.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 6,616,240 times
Winter here is very different than winter in Buffalo. We have big blue skies, lots of sunshine and low humidity. If it's 30 degrees in the mountains I'm usually comfortable running errands in a sweater, back east I would have a jacket, gloves and a hat on. Colorado is a great place to live, I hope you find a place to work for you.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! I am definitely a growing fan of the site. The more I think about it, the more I am sure I will choose somewhere near or in a city setting, no to choose where! I really like the idea of Steamboat Springs, thanks bongo, those are all of the things I am looking to do activity wise I will have to look more into it.

Thanks for taking the time Wanneroo, you definitely laid out what I needed to hear. I like winter don't get me wrong but being a person who is greatly affected by the weather, I don't think I am cut out for that much winter, even being from Buffalo! Enough is enough sometimes. Also, as much as I love outdoor activities, the "real world" is already starting to kick me in the butt so to speak and getting a job, well I should say a good sustainable job, is a priority so as much as I would love to be a mountain dweller, just not in the cards right now.
Steamboat Springs is pretty isolated and it is only a town, not a city. It has a little more retail than an average town it's size due to the ski hill and having nothing else around for 2 hours, but it is still a town. It's also one of the coldest spots in the state. When I lived there, it was easily 20 degrees colder much of the time compared to Vail.

Steamboat is an acquired taste and not for everyone.

If I was you, I would find a good job on the Front Range on the I-25 corridor and then on your days off, come up and enjoy the mountains.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM

So I have started looking at Evergreen, it looks like it would be a great place, right in the foothills by the highway, close enough to Denver, cool atmosphere. Thoughts?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,202,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Winter here is very different than winter in Buffalo. We have big blue skies, lots of sunshine and low humidity. If it's 30 degrees in the mountains I'm usually comfortable running errands in a sweater, back east I would have a jacket, gloves and a hat on. Colorado is a great place to live, I hope you find a place to work for you.
I was going to post the exact same comment. My husband grew up in Western PA (Erie) and absolutely hated winter there. However, when he moved to Colorado, he was in heaven. It's definitely not the same winter as you get back east, even in the high country. Yes, it's still cold, but the sun shines and makes a huge difference. Just something to consider.

Quote:
So I have started looking at Evergreen, it looks like it would be a great place, right in the foothills by the highway, close enough to Denver, cool atmosphere. Thoughts?
Personally, as a 25 year old single male, I think Evergreen would be pretty darn boring. It's more a mountain suburb, IMO, and mostly families live there. There isn't much to do at night, so you'll probably find yourself driving to the city, which will get old quickly. The weather in Evergreen is going to be very similar to the weather in Vail, Frisco, Dillon, etc. If you are really wanting to move to Colorado to snowboard and find a vibrant atmosphere, I would pick either a ski town or Denver. Wannaroo did a great job of giving you the pros and cons of each.

I spent about 4 years during my late 20s up in the high country near Breckenridge (although we were in a much smaller, sleepier town) and I loved it. I had a good job, which is hard, but possible. If you start planning now and can take your job with you (that's what it sounded like from your post), I'd go for it. You may decide to only spend one winter season up there, but you may regret it if you don't. Also, look into applying for seasonal work at the resort, or service work in town (and just be sure you get a season pass with the job-because you'll be broke, ha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado