Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times

Advertisements

I have passed through the town on several occasions but never stayed for very long. What is it like to live there? How are the restaurants,nightlife, and outdoor activities? Also on average how expensive is it compared to other similar sized towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
There are several threads on Grand Junction, this is one and there may be others that interest you; use the forum search tool and it will give you a list.

Why Aren't More People Interested In The Grand Junction Area?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:05 PM

If that thread isn't on the first page its worthless. I am creating a new thread on Grand Junction!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If that thread isn't on the first page its worthless. I am creating a new thread on Grand Junction!
I've merged your question into a recent thread that provides the sort of general info you're seeking.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Grand Junction recently landed a single-A affiliate for the Colorado Rockies. Has that turned out to be a good draw for the community? I thought it was brilliant when it happened. I hope it is going well for the team and community alike.
It's worked out well for the community. They had been based out of Casper, Wyoming for the last several years. Poor attendance was the problem there. A lot of money was spent to update Suplezio Field and even though we're just single A over here (Rookie League) GJ made a good move to park the club over here. I go to a dozen games or so a season. To be sure, it's a short season (mid-June to late August)

Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
outdoor activities?
If you're into fishing, you'll stay plenty busy. The Grand Mesa sits east of town, stretches out over 50 miles long. It's the largest flattop mountain in the world. And there are dozens of charted lakes up there, and a few dozen uncharted ones as well. Plenty of lower level lakes and reservoirs surrounding Grand Junction; Corn Lake, Rifle Gap reservoir, Highline Reservoir, Mack Mesa, and others.

Youth baseball has quite a few ball fields to choose from, those fields are just off I-70 between 24 and 25 Road.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If you're into fishing, you'll stay plenty busy. The Grand Mesa sits east of town, stretches out over 50 miles long. It's the largest flattop mountain in the world. And there are dozens of charted lakes up there, and a few dozen uncharted ones as well. Plenty of lower level lakes and reservoirs surrounding Grand Junction; Corn Lake, Rifle Gap reservoir, Highline Reservoir, Mack Mesa, and others.

Youth baseball has quite a few ball fields to choose from, those fields are just off I-70 between 24 and 25 Road.
Awesome that sounds great I assume theres lots of good hiking trails as well.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Awesome that sounds great I assume theres lots of good hiking trails as well.
The Book Cliffs and Colorado National monument are nearby.

Check out this thread also - info you're asking about has been discussed there: Why Aren't More People Interested In The Grand Junction Area?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
BornintheSprings wrote: Awesome that sounds great I assume theres lots of good hiking trails as well.

If hiking and/or mountain biking is your thing, Grand Junction will suit you very well. There are trails on the edge of town in the Lunch Loop area, more trails another 2 miles past the Lunch Loop parking lot ... in the Colorado National Monument. Then you have the fabulous trails in McInnis Canyon, adjacent to the National Monument on the Fruita side. A few miles west is another set of trails on the
Horsethief Bench overlooking the Colorado River. There is an abundance of trails on the nearby Grand Mesa, with a trail under construction that will connect the town of Palisade with the top of the Grand Mesa. Bangs Canyon is another hiking area on the edge of Grand Junction. There are others as well, but these are the ones that come readily to mind.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
I keep on seeing this thread pop up and I finally sat down to read it all. I enjoyed the OP's opinion and it made me feel like I'd really like GJ.

I visited GJ in the Summer of 2014, with the thought of perhaps eventually moving there, or Montrose. I'm in a creative field, and if I moved to GJ would bring my work with me. It seems like many of the things discussed would not be an issue for me. Restaurants? Del Taco is just fine, and I availed myself of it when I was in GJ! Oh, I guess I do like to go to a restaurant now and then (infrequently) and it sounds like GJ would have more than enough. I was very impressed with a soup chain joint in GJ, Zoup ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Colorado.html ) which I very much enjoyed. This should tell you at what level I am at when it comes to fine dining. (At least Zoup is not Golden Corral, okay? )

Concerts and such? I grew up going to concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, but even then I never went a lot. I have long since gotten used to not going to many concerts, and when I do, it'll probably be when I'm in L.A. and can go to the Hollywood Bowl!

My main interest would be the outdoors, just traveling around and looking at it, visiting different beautiful spots, and I already know that the GJ and Montrose area have plenty to offer within a few hours' drive!

As for arts, I did spend some considerable time at GJ's Art Center. Home - Western Colorado Center for the Arts I told the people there about my hopes of eventually moving to the area, asked about different classes, looked at the art gallery, visited their pottery studio, and was favorably impressed. I'm from S. California and thought their ceramics studio was just fine. They also had a ceramics show on display in one of their galleries and it had some very nice stuff. Another gallery had some excellent paintings.

Now I can't say, just from a few days spent there, that I know all there is about the arts in GJ, but assuming that the Art Center is going along just as well as it was when I visited less than two years ago, I would say that it isn't too shabby at all. But of course, these days I don't limit myself to only "local" art scenes. If I were to move to GJ (or Montrose), I'd be selling my creative work online, as well as working to sell my work at galleries all over Colorado (and the rest of the USA), not just the town I was living in. All I can say is that, for local classes and associating with fellow creative types and artists, I thought GJ looked perfectly fine, especially for a town of that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado