U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM

16,168 posts, read 20,176,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Great post by Local-H, +5 for him.
Plus one says Double H. Will comment later, right now he's making tracks to chow down some lunch at one of the restaurants Local-H has mentioned!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Already gave him +5 earlier today. Lots of info that was mostly right on the money. For real meals, I prefer to eat at home. For entertainment meals, I prefer pizza or burger & fries with a cold one on tap to for a bit of lubrication. My top 5 eateries:
  • The Hot Tomato
  • Kanah Creek Brewery
  • Pablos
  • The Ale House
  • Nepali

Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM

874 posts, read 923,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Great post. Since you like Six89 try his other restaurant in Glenwood called The Pullman, it's more casual but still has creative dishes.
I'll plus-one The Pullman, some of the best food in Glenwood Springs.

Has anyone else here try Defiant Bean Rosters for whole bean coffee? It's not Grand Junction, but close enough.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Already gave him +5 earlier today. Lots of info that was mostly right on the money. For real meals, I prefer to eat at home. For entertainment meals, I prefer pizza or burger & fries with a cold one on tap to for a bit of lubrication. My top 5 eateries:
  • The Hot Tomato
  • Kanah Creek Brewery
  • Pablos
  • The Ale House
  • Nepali
I don't place a high value on eating out, but the few places I do go include Zen Garden on North Ave, Kanna Creek (I live near there), Ale House at 12th & F Rd and Suehiros.

I used to like to go to Aztecas on Orchard Mesa for Mexican. Used to get excellent service and lots of food. Last time I was there got a skimpy meal and indifferent service when I asked about it. Haven't bothered to go back since. I don't have a favorite Mexican place otherwise. Although I was in Moab recently and had a good meal at Fiesta Mexicana.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
I've lived in GJ for 9 years. I grew up in Massachusetts, moved to WY in the 1990s, then to GJ. I like it here a lot.

I went to college here as a very non-trad student, graduated in 2009.

I'm mostly here for the outdoor activities. Hiking, camping and bicycling. Yeah, the mountain biking is great here. There is also excellent road bike riding. The area between GJ & Fruita is great for long flat rides. The Monument is the jewel ride. The Grand Mesa is an excellent climb. Unaweep Canyon is a great ride. East Orchard Mesa and Palisade, Purdy Mesa and Kannah Creek Road.

This is also a great town to bike commute in, being mostly flat. I ride my bike to work most days, year round.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local_h View Post
Il'Bistro Italiano - Hand down the best Food in town.
i agree that it's very good. Almost on par with upper end Italian restaurants you can find in big metro areas.

Quote:
Bin 707 Food Bar closed and reopened in a new location. It reminds me of a hip restaurant in Denver. The food and drinks are awesome and is typically quite busy.
I ate there once and thought it was pretty good. Not in the same league as the Italian place, but getting there.

Quote:
Le Rouge. Originally named Moulin Rouge. The owner is a sterotypical French guy.
I never ate there but I talked music a couple times with the old guy who plays jazz bass with his wife on piano. I never went to see them, but they apparently play every week in a three-piece.

Quote:
Ale House. Everyone can eat at the Ale House. Vegetarian, no problem. Steak, seafood, sushi appetizers, burgers, burritos and monster pizzas. The menu is huge.
The food is consistently good, and the beer is outstanding. Great selections of microbrews.

Quote:
Kannah Creek.
Decent food. Good selection of microbrews including some oddball stuff like homemade ginger beer if i recall correctly.

Quote:
There are 2 sushi places in town. No Coast and Suehiro.
Here's where you're wrong. There's probably about 6 or 7 Sushi places. For example, there's Zen Garden which my coworkers and I used to go to. We considered it better food than the other two you mentioned.

Quote:
Breakfast. Dream Cafe. It reminds me of Snooze in Denver without the hour wait. The business breakfasts in town happen there.
There's a place in Clifton that has good American breakfasts. I can't remember what they're called. It's frequented mostly by the oilfield and local cowboy crowd.

Quote:
Coffee: There is a lot of really bad coffee in GJ. I can handle drinking any kind of coffee really. When I pay $4 for an espresso drink, I would like to think someone would put as much though into how good that drink is going to be as I would if I had a coffee shop. Roasted downtown is pretty good, and as close to a hipster coffee shop as you get. I'm on a mission to find my favorite place.
There's a place downtown on Main Street. Actually there's two places with pretty good gourmet coffee. One of them is on Main Street towards the East end of it before the shops start to peter out. i can't remember what it's called. Maybe you mentioned it already.

The other one is about two blocks off main street and I considered it to have the best gourmet coffee in town. It's across the street from bar/nightclub that seems to attract a rowdy sort of clientelle. Cant' remember the name.

Quote:
Culture: A 4 hour drive to Denver.
Yep. That sums it up.

Quote:
There are people in town who produce good art, it just seems like it rarely makes it into public places. I see the worst art around town.
GJ is not an artistic town. No two ways about it. In fact it's pretty much the complete opposite of an artistic place. The lack of artists/art is noticeable. The exception to this is that there is a number of good blues musicians in town.

Quote:
Wine/Spirits. Plum Creek is my favorite winery. I have been to most of them. Some of them are absolute swill. None of them are Far Niente, but I've never had a bad bottle from Plum Creek. There is a vodka distillery called Goat Vodka made in Palisade. It is worth drinking.
Palisade is where it's at for spirits.

Quote:
Peaches: I can't believe I am putting this on the internet, but my favorite peach is the Sun Drop. I'm not going to tell you where you can get them because there are only a few trees in town that have it.
You can literally walk down random streets in Grand Junction and if you happen to find an apricot or peach tree you are guaranteed the most delicious apricots and peaches you'll ever taste. The weirest thing that these trees thrive in the desert climate there.

Quote:
Don't ask me where my fishing spot is. I will never tell and even if I did, you probably can't get there.
If I still lived there I would wrangle it out of you.

Let me guess: Juanita reservoir?

if you enjoy fishing, i recommend you make the journey to the Flaming Gorge in Utah (4 hour drive.) Well worth it. Clear, cold deep water with smallmouth bass, large trouts, and supposedly plentiful lake trouts. The first time I fished there I thought I had arrived in fishing heaven. I had an amazing catch of smallmouths and trout (rainbow and brown) in the span of four hours. So much that I quit the fishing early and headed back to Grand Junction with about 20 large fish. Apparently that was the lucky day, because the few more times I returned I had very little success.

Quote:
Outdoors: This is the key component you must have in your life to move here and be happy.
That and a job. The outdoors is great. The fact that my wife couldn't find a job, and the isolated small town environment, were both factors that made us decide to move to Northern California.

Quote:
I noticed I do many more outdoor activities now. There is downhill skiing 50 minutes away at Powder horn.
There's also an extensive network of cross country trails on the top of the same mountain that Powderhorn is on. I recommend them for anyone who's into x-country skiing.

Quote:
There is also camping for different season close by.
One of my favorites is Reudi Lake.

Quote:
Lake Powell can be reached in 3 hours
more like 4.

Quote:
Vegas. This is kind of a strange add on but it is 500 miles (8 hours not speeding) by car away, and the Thursday to Sunday neon express is $130 round trip on Allegiant Air. I've heard of people getting tickets for $80 round trip when they have specials.
I've been on that flight and it is quite the experience. The plane is completely packed with noisy Western Slopers heading to Vegas for the weekend! It's fun.

Quote:
Rent is ridiculous. $1000 gets you nothing. $1200 gets you a newer 2 bedroom without a garage. $1500 might start getting you an ok house in a ok neighborhood that doesn't have something really off about it.
Absolutely true. It's absurd that a small isolated town with nothing to offer culturally can demand such exorbitant prices for rent.

Quote:
The two thing I have noticed about politics in GJ are this. 1. Liberals tend to be closet Liberals (me included). 2. I know more pro gun liberals in GJ than anywhere else. Telling people you are Liberal in GJ won't necessarily get others to admit that as well.
i was told that when Obama went to town a few years back, they stuck him in some barn outside of town and hardly anyone showed up. When McCain or Republican someone-or-other went, they put him in the stadium at Mesa State and the whole town went.

Quote:
GJ doesn't have a lot of glaring business opportunities, but it has some. If you are an entrepreneur and really take a pulse of the town accurately, you could make a go at it.
I would imagine there's a lot of good-ole-boy stuff makes it hard for outsiders to get a foothold in a small business? I don't know. I'm just a working serf.

Quote:
For example a martini bar with finger food is a horrible idea. I would come and maybe 30 other people in town. A whisky distillery with a bar, tasting room and restaurant with good burgers could make it. The problem is mainly whether the opportunities you see match what you want to be doing.
A well-run house of prostitution should do well.

Quote:
Shopping. For guys at least, it sucks. Options are Internet, Denver or do it when you vacation somewhere. When the best store in town is The Buckle (don't get me wrong I like their jeans). There is a women's shoe store downtown my female friends seem to like, but in general it seems like guys shop at Cabella's for clothes.
Cabelas. The best thing to happen to GJ in years.

Quote:
That's all I got. GJ isn't Denver. If you move here, I would plan on being open to new things.
And being bored!

Quote:
Email me or post if you can think of something I missed.
Ice fishing on Vega Lake in the winter.
The batting cages at the fun park in the summer.
Billiards leagues.
Taking the puddle jumper from GJC to DEN (1 hour) instead of driving (4 hours)

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 49,510 times
Glad to hear other recommendations. I was mainly commenting on the margaritas as GJ does leave a lot to be desired for awesome Mexican food. Might be why they go for strong drinks...disguise the food.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM

14 posts, read 33,867 times
Best sushi in GJ is definitely from Zen garden.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 49,510 times
While I have a captive audience, if one thing was added, what would make this town a lot better? I know they will never come, but I just saw Cirque du Soleil in Denver this weekend and it was incredible. I think they will be in Colorado Springs in a week or so.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
A more temeprate climate without the extreme heat in the summer and the extreme cold in the winter ( this winter has been an exception.....thus far ) would also make Grand Junction a nicer place to live, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or