U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM

221 posts, read 188,950 times
Thanks so much for the post. I'm planning a camping trip near GJ this summer and your post is really helpful.

I also saw Cirque this weekend and Wow! What a great show. If they are performing in CS, I might be tempted to see them again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM

17,109 posts, read 23,426,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
Thanks so much for the post. I'm planning a camping trip near GJ this summer and your post is really helpful.

I also saw Cirque this weekend and Wow! What a great show. If they are performing in CS, I might be tempted to see them again...
Yes, it's due in COLO SPGS 22-26 FEB, click here for details. If anyone is thinking of coming down here to see the show, and wants info on good eats in COLO SPGS, you can find that info in the COLO SPGS forum / index or DM me for info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,943,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local_h View Post
While I have a captive audience, if one thing was added, what would make this town a lot better?
Cheap flights to Denver.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,881 times
We have small horse ranch in Texas (our home). Looking for apartment or condo to get of the summers in Texas. Also am a disabled Viet Nam Vet and understand there is a good VA hospital in GJ. Love to walk and bike. I don't drive but my wife does. We currently have an appartment in Portland Or. Getting a little tired of the rain. Any ideas on apartment or condos within walking or biking of basic services; resturants,grocery,shopping,etc. ???

Old 02-19-2012, 11:39 AM

17,109 posts, read 23,426,130 times
If GJ doesn't work out for you, there's a VA hospital in Denver, with a new one under construction for completion in 2015. Denver area will put you 4-5 hours closer to Texas if driving. There are a lot of housing options with both the current and future locations.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You did a great job of summarizing Grand Junction and I can't believe I'm going to say this.....but....it makes me miss it (a little). I'm actually glad I can look back now and have some fond memories of GJ, because at the time I was living there, I really didn't like it (with the exception of the outdoors). I don't miss the restaurant scene though, it's way better here in Bend, Oregon!

Enjoy those peaches! That's something that we don't find in the PNW (well, at least any that are good).

I moved to GJ from Bend Oregon, oh how I miss it!!!! I can't wait to get out of here!!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,883,564 times
Is Battlement Mesa near Rifle or Parchute doing anything of note? I saw it back 20 years ago, not my favorite place but interesting in a strange sort of way

Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,883 times
Is GJ on a flat plain, rolling hills, high desert or mountainous terrain. I prefer mountain living.

Considering Gunnison vs Grand Junction for retirement. Military man approaching retirement. 46, married, one teen left at home.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 PM

13,028 posts, read 11,740,346 times
Have noticed your last several posts regarding Colorado (welcome to City Data by the way!)

Grand Junction has the world's largest flattop mountain in the world east of it-Grand Mesa. Population of Mesa County is around 140,000 or so.

The VA Hospital in Junction is a good facility, some of the more specialized type surgeries-not so much. Those vets are sent to Salt Lake City or Denver. I've lived in this area full time going on 22 years. Took short term construction assignments in the 70's in this area as well.

Gunnison is totally different than Grand Junction. 3100 ft. higher, long, bitter winters. But it can be rewarding in its own way. I've spent the night there several times. Nice town.

You into fishing? You'll love both places. Grand Mesa has dozens of charted lakes and that many uncharted lakes. 8 miles west of Gunnison sits Blue Mesa Reservoir, one of the top reservoirs in the state.

There's a lot of different threads on the two towns that would be of great use to you. Type in the towns name in the "search forums box" at the top of the page and hit the find button. Lots of threads for you to read-lots!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-03-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,943,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyankeerebel View Post
Is GJ on a flat plain, rolling hills, high desert or mountainous terrain. I prefer mountain living.

Considering Gunnison vs Grand Junction for retirement. Military man approaching retirement. 46, married, one teen left at home.
Grand Junction is high desert. It is not mountain living. you might look at the town of Collbran or the town of Mesa both of which are in the mountains about 30 miles east of Grand Junction.

Gunnison is much colder in winter. Much smaller town. Gunnison is sort of "semi-mountain" living. It's not in the mountains, but is close enough to be considered foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado