U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM

16,172 posts, read 20,180,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The Golden Corral isn't hip?
It IS, by me anyway! Cosmic is shaking his head right now reading this post as we speak, then again most of my posts fall under that category anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,198,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I'm not aware of any hip areas in Grand Junction.
This is absolutely the truth, which is the reason why my hubby & I eventually left Grand Junction. We love going out for live music and all the other things you mentioned. But, if you only have to live there for 18 months, there is still plenty to do to keep you busy, especially if you like the outdoors as well. My husband lived in a small apartment near Lincoln Park before I transferred my job to GJ. I definitely agree that's an area to look into if you want walkability. Basically, I would search for areas south of Walnut Ave., north of Ute Ave, east of 1st and west of 18th. Some of the neighborhoods in that area are more run down than others, but some area really nice.

While Fruita isn't really hip either, you might also look at a few neighborhoods around the central part of town. It may give you a little something of what you are looking for.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Double H wrote:
It IS, by me anyway! Cosmic is shaking his head right now reading this post as we speak, then again most of my posts fall under that category anyway!
Hip is in the eye of the beholder! One person's hip is another person's hell, and vice versa.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
We love going out for live music and all the other things you mentioned.
Thanks to Delta07 for reminding me here. In this area Grand Junction kind of falters. True, the area has Country Jam in late June and Rock Jam in early September, but let's face it, it's in a field. The Fruita free concert series is better as it's at James Robb State Park, just south of the interstate, but you have to put up with the bogus "free tickets" giveaway issue.

Thankfully the Avalon Theater fills a void but it is too small for most acts on tour through the Rocky Mountain states. The building goes back to the early 1920's and seats a little over 900. I do like the past remodeling and what they have lined up for the future. They have had a couple concerts at Two Rivers Convention Center, NOT a place for concerts. There are a few makeshift places that aren't bad and have attracted a few well known acts. "The Listening Room" above Roper Music is one of them. It only seats 250 or so. And it's not really a venue, it was once used for inventory storage. I do give a thumbs up for Roper for trying though! You have to hike up thirty steps or so to get to the room, it's a 90 year old building. You also have the Mesa Theater which is geared for younger crowds with 90's to current acts.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-17-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,068 times
This thread is excellent!! I've got an employment opportunity to relocate and definately live an outdoor style life. My only question is.....how much does the wind actually blow? I'm currently in SW Utah, and although beautiful; I can't be outside to enjoy it because of the constant wind at 30-40mph gusting to 60. Anymore, 10 mph seems like a small breeze!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
This spring, the wind has been a constant companion so far. It's not gusty all the time, but it's always present.

I just returned from a weeklong visit to my native state of Pennsylvania. The wind there was even more persistent than it is in Grand Junction. It didn't let up the whole time I was there.

There are native traditions teaching that the wind is a vehichle for Great Spirit to communicate information to humans. With so much wind this spring, I wonder what Great Spirit is telling us.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-17-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,903,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmountaingirl View Post
how much does the wind actually blow? I'm currently in SW Utah, and although beautiful; I can't be outside to enjoy it because of the constant wind at 30-40mph gusting to 60. Anymore, 10 mph seems like a small breeze!
When I lived in Grand Junction, the wind blew steadily every day for two months in the Spring.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,198,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thanks to Delta07 for reminding me here. In this area Grand Junction kind of falters. True, the area has Country Jam in late June and Rock Jam in early September, but let's face it, it's in a field. The Fruita free concert series is better as it's at James Robb State Park, just south of the interstate, but you have to put up with the bogus "free tickets" giveaway issue.

Thankfully the Avalon Theater fills a void but it is too small for most acts on tour through the Rocky Mountain states. The building goes back to the early 1920's and seats a little over 900. I do like the past remodeling and what they have lined up for the future. They have had a couple concerts at Two Rivers Convention Center, NOT a place for concerts. There are a few makeshift places that aren't bad and have attracted a few well known acts. "The Listening Room" above Roper Music is one of them. It only seats 250 or so. And it's not really a venue, it was once used for inventory storage. I do give a thumbs up for Roper for trying though! You have to hike up thirty steps or so to get to the room, it's a 90 year old building. You also have the Mesa Theater which is geared for younger crowds with 90's to current acts.
Yes, I agree, the Avalon was probably the best venue in town, although a little too strict. I saw two concerts there, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and Ani Difranco, and during both I was asked to sit in my chair and not dance! We saw a few good concerts at the Mesa Theater too, which I think could be a great venue if they wouldn't cater just to the 18+plus crowd. I also saw Bob Dylan play out at the Fairgrounds, which was great because it was walking distance from my house, but not exactly the best venue. I don't like country music, nor the bands that usually play Rock Jam, so I've never been out to that venue, but I don't think I ever missed anything.

My husband plays bass guitar and wasn't able to find a good group of musicians to play with during our almost 7 years in Grand Junction. He went to a few open mics, but never felt like it got him any contacts.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM

There IS also a flip side in regards to the Grand Junction concert scene. and that is price. While we're not getting top drawer megabuck music acts, we are getting a cross section of recording artists and fortunately the prices aren't through the roof as you don't have to deal with Ticketmaster. Speaking of Ticketmaster, when FYE at mesa mall closed their store there isn't a Ticketmaster outlet anymore as I do from time to time travel out of town for a show when I shop at Denver or Salt Lake.

Back to price, fortunately a good share of the acts I've seen are $40 or less with a lot of them in the $25 range. The concerts I've seen lately range from Emmy Lou Harris to Johnny Rivers to Alan Parsons to Arlo Guthrie to Judy Collins to Chris Isaak and plenty of others. Actually, a fair amount of shows I've seen is in Montrose at the Montrose Pavilion, a very good venue. It holds a little less than the Avalon and it was built in the early 1990's.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The Golden Corral isn't hip?

LMBO My grandmother thinks the Golden Corral is pretty hip!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or