U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,913,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by troussos View Post
I guess since only country was mentioned about live music, GJ must be a 'one horse' kinda town.
Jazz - nothing
Rock - nothing
Ballroom - nothing
There's some good blues musicians who live in town and play regularly. But you're basically correct. It's a limited scene, except for bands who pass through on tour like someone else mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 PM

849 posts, read 1,709,599 times
Hello! We moved from Phoenix to GJ area about a month ago for hubby's job. His work is in GJ but we rented a house in Fruita. So far we love the area...but what a culture shock! We went to No coast (GJ)for sushi and we thought they were horrible! Fish did not taste fresh at all and very pricy even for sushi. They again, in Metro Phoenix/Scottsdale area there are so many good sushi restaurants (yes, even in desert!) we are little spoiled, I guess. We actually prefer Kuniko's on 12th st and Patterson for Japanese meal, more authentic, honest Japanese meals, but may not be fashionable/hip enough some. We have not tried many places yet, but we are happy to live near hot Tomatoes for great pizza.

BTW, can anyone direct us to fishing near by? I mean really close to Fruita and no mountain road, my Toyota Corolla does not like it :P We are not serious fisher men, just to get out and kill time and hopefully catch few fish now and then...our son really wants to go.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 AM

16,188 posts, read 20,204,475 times
You have mack Mesa and Highline lakes near the town of Loma. Loma is just a few miles from Fruita. Highline is a state park. The road is 2 lane paved- a state highway.

As is James Robb State park, just south of I-70 off State hwy. 340.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
You have mack Mesa and Highline lakes near the town of Loma. Loma is just a few miles from Fruita. Highline is a state park. The road is 2 lane paved- a state highway.

As is James Robb State park, just south of I-70 off State hwy. 340.

Thanks, that sounds easy enough. I'll look it up. Happy 4th of July, minus fireworks!!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
nikkzone wrote: Happy 4th of July, minus fireworks!!

IMO, fireworks are a distraction from the true meaning of July 4th, which is to APPRECIATE the relative degree of freedom we have in this country.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
nikkzone wrote: Happy 4th of July, minus fireworks!!

IMO, fireworks are a distraction from the true meaning of July 4th, which is to APPRECIATE the relative degree of freedom we have in this country.
So true! Although we had several fireworks going on in Phoenix area and we all enjoyed them at times, I hated the traffic and stupid drunk drivers. Once kids were older, we just stayed home anyway and enjoyed family and friends...

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM

16,188 posts, read 20,204,475 times
I didn't want to start a new thread regarding this so I'll put it here.

We're coming up on that time of the year to be aware of your surroundings. Just a few minutes ago KKCO11 News reported that just a bit ago Interstate 70 has been re-opened. The road crew finally removed a boulder off the eastbound right lane at exit 54 going through DeBeque canyon. It was reported that the boulder was the size of a subcompact car. We had a good rain the other day and this type thing will happen again as that section has always been a problem with C-DOT.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,934 times
Thank you for providing the additional information. My wife and I are searching for a vibrant area. Is the local live music scene plentiful and diverse? Would you say there are numerous venues for live Ballrrom, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Blues, Folk, etc...?

Tony

Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,913,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
we rented a house in Fruita. So far we love the area...but what a culture shock! We went to No coast (GJ)for sushi and we thought they were horrible! Fish did not taste fresh at all and very pricy even for sushi.
Go to Zen Garden instead. Much better food. On par with good sushi you'd get in a big city.

Quote:
BTW, can anyone direct us to fishing near by? I mean really close to Fruita and no mountain road
  • Highline Park
  • there's a small lake in the middle of Grand Junction I cant' remember what it's called, it's along the "river walk" trail
  • the Colorado river. I never fished it but knew people who would take catfish out of it.

Quote:
Thank you for providing the additional information. My wife and I are searching for a vibrant area. Is the local live music scene plentiful and diverse? Would you say there are numerous venues for live Ballrrom, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Blues, Folk, etc...?

uh ... yeah, sure. you'll find all that in a town of 50,000 people

Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,207,692 times
Quote:

Tony
I have to agree with 80keys here. I wouldn't exactly describe anywhere in the Grand Valley as a vibrant area (at least it wasn't when I lived there last in 2008). There are some live music acts, but they are few and far between. In fact, that was one of the reasons we ultimately left GJ. My husband is a bass player, and in our 7 years of living there, he never found people to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or