U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM

7,429 posts, read 10,510,461 times
delta07 wrote: I wouldn't exactly describe anywhere in the Grand Valley as a vibrant area (at least it wasn't when I lived there last in 2008).

I've encountered many a Collard Lizard on my frequent desert canyon strolls that would dis-agree with you. But for those of us who are not lizards, your're right on the money about the vibrancy of the Grand Junction area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM

12,956 posts, read 11,325,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troussos View Post
Thank you for providing the additional information. My wife and I are searching for a vibrant area. Is the local live music scene plentiful and diverse? Would you say there are numerous venues for live Ballroom, Jazz, Country, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Blues, Folk, etc...?

Tony
I addressed this issue on a different GJ thread but will note it here.

It's one area that the Grand Junction area is lacking. Though there are plenty of venues for outside concerts in the summer, the Avalon theater downtown remains the only concert venue of any size regarding shows for the other seven months out of the year. There's been talk of renovating the area but for now it's just talk. This area has a very sizable senior population and having taxes raised to build facilities that they might not use- well, I'll just say they exercise their right to vote.

Outdoor concert locations have been near Mack, Palisade Vineyards, Mesa County Fairgrounds (just saw Colorado's classic rock group Firefall at the fairgrounds last night). Inside venues are of course the Avalon and the Mesa theater. Mesa does house a local scene of sorts, not a big venue at all. Mostly 90's and current bands. I've been in there just once, saw Sam Bush who is one of the best musicians in bluegrass music. Montrose has the Pavilion, a newer venue. Nice facility, kinda smallish, I believe capacity is around 1000. They have had concerts in the past at Two Rivers Convention Center but it doesn't really qualify as a venue. Robinson Theater at the college actually is pretty good, but has had few concerts over the years.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM

19 posts, read 23,212 times
Love the post. Extremely informative. I do have to add this, when you go to TripAdvisor and you type in Grand Junction, Colorado and it brings up the dining rankings, and Texas Roadhouse and Golden Corral are at the top of the list, you know you're in trouble, lol

Grand Junction isn't the cleanest city in Colorado, and I'd wish the city council would pass some more stringent zoning laws for North Avenue especially because I think that is what many people think of when they hear Grand Junction, is they think of North Avenue, and it's a bit run down, and needs a refresher.

You named many great places to eat if your looking for traditional sit down, type places.

HOWEVER , You didn't mention the great grease joints to go to if you're out a little too late, with a little bit too much to drink, and you need some food...

Los J's - It's a run down, fast-food, Mexican grease joint. If you don't order the "Super Fries, smothered", then you're missing out. Fries, topped with chopped meat, melted cheese, guac, sour cream, and the "smothered" will get chile verde poured over the top. Hey, it's not traditional mexican, but it'll cure any hangover!

Pufferbelly's - Doesn't open til the morning but has EXCELLENT and CHEAP breakfast, it's possible to get out of there with a full stomach for less than $5.00. It's great.

J's Philly Steaks - On North by the college, this is a great place to get lunch. Authentic Philly Steaks, with bread flown in from Philly, and you can get it "Wit" or "Witout Wiz" (Cheese Wiz). Awesome meal.

Like you mentioned, there are some diamonds, but I can't believe you didn't mention Enzo's on horizon! Excellent pizza! Haven't tried anything else because of their awesome pizza...but it gets busy, so get there early

And, Naggy's, you can't mention Junction without Naggy's...traditional Irish pub with authentic Irish food recipes made from scratch. The service there is the best in Junction.

Love the post!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM

12,956 posts, read 11,325,883 times
Agreed on Naggy McGee's on Colorado Ave.. I'm not a night guy (live in Fruita) but I've been there a few times and the food is excellent, as is the service.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM

19 posts, read 23,212 times
"While Fruita isn't really hip either, you might also look at a few neighborhoods around the central part of town. It may give you a little something of what you are looking for."

Hey, they're trying to be more hip, they just got their first sit-down Pizza Hut. They'll get there.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM

845 posts, read 1,133,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlp06 View Post
"While Fruita isn't really hip either, you might also look at a few neighborhoods around the central part of town. It may give you a little something of what you are looking for."

Hey, they're trying to be more hip, they just got their first sit-down Pizza Hut. They'll get there.
Haha, yeah, I drive by there on my way home, but I'll stick to Hot Tomatoes for pizza! That's our dinner for tomorrow in fact! We have only been in Fruita for a couple of months but we love it here so far. Nice break from Phoenix heat and traffic for sure!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,483,161 times
I really enjoyed reading this thread. My wife and daughters just went through Durango yesterday and she was talking about maybe looking at spending some time up there. I started looking around and it seems that GJ is bigger, has better choices for homes, etc... If I am wrong please set me straight.

We are both retired Navy, but in our mid 40's. We are not ready to call it quits and enjoy the retired life completely, but wouldn't mind finding a place we can call home. Ideal home would be on the edge or just outside of the city, an acre or two, smaller 3 bedroom home (not a mobile home) for 250K or less. Is it reasonable to find something like that in or around GJ. Doesn't look to be the case by Durango.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 AM

7,429 posts, read 10,510,461 times
GJ population is in the general range of 50,000, with a greater metro area of about 120K. Durango is much less than that. You can find a home in GJ for $250K quite easily, but finding it on acre or two is going to be challanging. More than likely, the $250K home will be located on a smaller lot.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM

3,660 posts, read 4,687,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Ideal home would be on the edge or just outside of the city, an acre or two, smaller 3 bedroom home (not a mobile home) for 250K or less. Is it reasonable to find something like that in or around GJ.
As of a couple years ago when we were living there, definitely. We were renting a nice, newer 3 bedroom house and I believe that type of house was selling for $170k at that time.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,483,161 times
Thank you both for the comments. Maybe we'll get an Agent up there to start looking and send us some options. Again, thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado