Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Any firearms instructor or people who've dealt with this in the past tell you to shoot to kill. Shooting and maiming someone or using bear mace is actually worse, because then they will sue you in our stupid system
Hopefully not... for homes, the statute protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force – including deadly force – against an invader. I would hope a law for businesses would be the same.

I'm not aware of any cases where this has been challenged by a dirtbag representing an injured/dead scumbag.

The young mother in OK who recently dialed 911 and then blasted her intruder won't be charged, so there is hope for sanity in application of this law...

“I’ve got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?”

“Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself,” dispatcher responded. “I can’t tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby.”

= AWESOME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Hopefully not... for homes, the statute protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force – including deadly force – against an invader. I would hope a law for businesses would be the same.

I'm not aware of any cases where this has been challenged by a dirtbag representing an injured/dead scumbag.

The young mother in OK who recently dialed 911 and then blasted her intruder won't be charged, so there is hope for sanity in application of this law...

“I’ve got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?”

“Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself,” dispatcher responded. “I can’t tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby.”

= AWESOME
I remember seeing that story, wasn't that in Texas though? There has been some horror stories about this happening, but maybe it was before the castle doctrine stuff. I know FL didn't have it for the longest time

Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
This wouldn't change much. An independent sole business with the owner behind the counter might carry a weapon for his personal safety and property protection. Many probably already do.

But for insurance, liability and safety reasons I doubt that any chains, franchises, or a smart business owner with a dozen or so employees would ever permit them to be armed.

Except for perhaps a gun store where they're already knowledgable and trained. But I wouldn't recommend robbing a gun store.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
....But I wouldn't recommend robbing a gun store.
IIRC there was a "Darwin Award" for a fool who tried that, between the store staff, armed customers, and two uniformed police officers who were present, the dude ended up qualifying for the Swiss Cheese man of the year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
This wouldn't change much. An independent sole business with the owner behind the counter might carry a weapon for his personal safety and property protection. Many probably already do.

But for insurance, liability and safety reasons I doubt that any chains, franchises, or a smart business owner with a dozen or so employees would ever permit them to be armed.

Except for perhaps a gun store where they're already knowledgable and trained. But I wouldn't recommend robbing a gun store.
there'd have to be a clause for removing liability from owners who employ people who are trained/certified, or who are permitted to open carry or have a CCW, or a trained Honey Badger...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Anyone that has a firearm and plans on having it available for self defense purposes, IMHO, they need tons of training and constant practice.

I've never been in a real gun fight(fortunately) but have had the opportunity thanks to the usual work I do to be a role player in shoot houses with some SWAT teams and US federal government and military units. We use service weapons(M-4s, MP-5s and 9mm pistols) converted to "Simunition", which is a wax bullet and the round still produces a bang and recoil. I've played a bad guy, hostage, innocent civilian, bad guy posing as a civilian, etc. What I have found in that experience is all the hollywood BS(especially with pistol accuracy) goes out the window and a whole range of emotions and responses take over when you are pulling a gun at someone, aiming it at them and pulling the trigger, simunition or not. Time slows down, tunnel vision happens(it's why you check and look 360 degrees around you after you drop someone) and as I found when getting shot by sims(they hurt), when I have been shot, I never heard the gun blast as the round travels faster than the sound.

So putting holes down range on paper is great, but if you plan on having a weapon, get proper close quarters type training and continue to do so over time. Get it from a reputable company that has verifiable references and credentials. There are plenty of posers out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado